new green book from photo copy

notrub

Call me stupid but I bought a motorbike from a garage with the promise of a green book to be sent the following week.  Friendly and helpful people.  I have a bill of sale and a photocopy of the green book and a business card with the name of the garage on it.  The serial number matches too.  The garage is a small junky looking place with 10 or 20 bikes for sale in front and they advertise on Kaidee.  No green book arrived by post (surprised?) and phone calls just get the answer that some other entity has been contacted and maybe they will send the book next week.  Any ideas about how to move ahead with getting this garage to honour their promise or how I can get a green book on my own?  We are not talking big money (14,500 + 3,000 repairs) but it is a nice little bike and I would like to keep it.  Also don't have 17,500 THB to toss away without a worry.   I cannot take it on the road so it just sits in front of the house.  Can I get it insured with only a photocopy of the green book?  They are in Korat about 100 km from my house so going there to confront them is not an option that I would like to do. Anyway, they are big and I am small. Thanks for any ideas.

Very likely the green book was not in their name. Either they were selling on behalf of the owner or they were selling in spite of the owner, maybe a debt or so. In both cases the bike could easily be registered stolen now.

Return the bike to them, now, and get your money back.

Edited by stevenl

Yes when buying second hand always get the original green/blue book...if they dont have it to give to you there and then then the vehicle is either stolen,on finance or used as loan collateral...no book no sale...unless you want the vehicle for spares or to drive on private land...but if stolen you'll (could) be in trouble....so back to no book no sale.

If the book doesn't turn up soon try to get the shop to give your money back.....if they won't then go to your local police station and file a report /ask them to check if its been registered stolen....maybe your local Department of Land Transportation (DLT) would issue a new book with police report doubtful though.
There should be the current owners name and address on the copy...maybe contact them directly and ask about the book.