Phuket expecting 5 – 7 percent increase in high-season tourists

webfact

Phuket expecting 5 – 7 percent increase in high-season tourists

Russia presents a remarkable recovery story, leading to an expectation that this coming season would see even stronger numbers, says Anthony, who is also Managing Director and General Manager of Trisara Hotel in Phuket.

By Phuket Gazette & The Nation

8405429_orig.jpg

Phuket Hotels Association President Anthony Lark

The Phuket Hotels Association is expecting the number of international direct passenger arrivals at Phuket International Airport for the high season of 2017 to 2018 to increase by between 5 per cent and 7 per cent year year-on-year. This, according to Association President Anthony Lark.

The latest figures show that from January to April this year, the number of international direct passenger arrivals at Phuket airport was 1,690,890 – up 5 per cent over the same period last year, according to data from Airports of Thailand and C9 Hotelworks.

The top five geographic sources of customers between January and April 2017 were Mainland China (582,339), Russia (257,311), South Korea (84,734), Australia (77,689) and the UK (59,517).

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/phuket-expecting-5-7-percent-increase-high-season-tourists

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-09-25

31 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

This prediction is almost as trustworthy as the government's: there will be no floods during this year's monsoon season. Is he eyeing a job with the TAT?

So at the risk of being flamed ... if the figures are true that the first half of the year arrivals are up (which I assume is easily tracked) why isn't the prediction trustworthy?  Might not be a lot more US/UK/EU tourists, but when I was in Phuket last week it certainly was packed with EU and Chinese folks.  

8 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

... when I was in Phuket last week it certainly was packed with EU and Chinese folks.  

I was out Saturday 16th in the evening (1830) for a buffet at a hotel in the most popular area of the island and the whole area seemed quiet.

Not saying the numbers are wrong but i sometimes get suspicious when i see a huge gap between reported things and the stories of people working and living there.

15 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

get suspicious when i see a huge gap between reported things and the stories of people working and living there.

I agree.  As I said when I was out and around last week it certainly seemed jammed pack and it was the middle of the week; but I don't live on Phuket, so perhaps a fluke.