Another parasail accident at Patong Beach injures Chilean tourist

snoop1130

Another parasail accident at Patong Beach injures Chilean tourist

By Tim Newton

22070598_10208165281730051_1403991834_o-681x689.jpg

A Chilean man in his late 20s was lucky to escape more serious injuries after his parasail finished up in trees after dragging the man along the ground and into several parked motorbikes.

The incident happened at 3.30 this afternoon (September 26) at Patong Beach.

Kusoldarm volunteers attended the scene and the man has been taken to Patong Hospital. He’s reported to have minor lacerations, bruising and abrasions from being dragged along the ground.

Full Story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/another-parasail-accident-patong-beach-injures-chilean-tourist

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-9-26

Still, no control over these goons......these incidents have been going on all the time, just that the media has been to idle to report them.

But it won't make one iota of difference......seems that all activity providers in Phuket have carte blanche to do as they please.....then of course, the authorities havn't got a clue anyway!

If they are stupid enough to go up with these clowns, they deserve everything they get.

He is lucky to be alive, can't wait till they ban them, but that's not going to happen in a long time, perhaps tourist might stop being stupid and avoid going up on them, as they did with the jet-ski scams

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If they are stupid enough to go up with these clowns, they deserve everything they get.

He is lucky to be alive, can't wait till they ban them, but that's not going to happen in a long time, perhaps tourist might stop being stupid and avoid going up on them, as they did with the jet-ski scams

A little harsh claiming they deserve everything they get...  I bet you'd feel differently if it was a loved one. 

Like scooters, mini-vans, jet ski scams and so many other hazards in Thailand (and other tourist traps), it's tough to find activities that can't kill you somehow.  Even walking down the sidewalk carries the risk of getting killed by a scooter...

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

A little harsh claiming they deserve everything they get...  I bet you'd feel differently if it was a loved one. 

Like scooters, mini-vans, jet ski scams and so many other hazards in Thailand (and other tourist traps), it's tough to find activities that can't kill you somehow.  Even walking down the sidewalk carries the risk of getting killed by a scooter...

Harsh, yes, a family member of mine wouldn't go up there, although I did allow my 12 year old daughter, now 20 to go up when she visited me, and yes I would feel differently if she was injured.

The problem is we foreigners, predominantly the ones that don't live here, automatically presume that everything is checked, inspected, certified and insured like back home, until the s... hits fan, oh sorry, no have...

Edited by 4MyEgo

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Harsh, yes, a family member of mine wouldn't go up there, although I did allow my 12 year old daughter, now 20 to go up when she visited me, and yes I would feel differently if she was injured.

The problem is we foreigners, predominantly the ones that don't live here, automatically presume that everything is checked, inspected, certified and insured like back home, until the <deleted> hits fan, oh sorry, no have...

Agreed, but that's more an indictment of the place than the tourists.  I imagine (may be wrong) if they went to the Canaries or the Riviera, they'd be much better protected from shoddy operators- albeit at a cost.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I don't think it was harsh. The issue of the parasailing and the jet skis is a well publicized issue. It is is quite obvious that the  use of the equipment is irresponsible and selfish. The Chilean made the decision to satisfy his hedonistic desire and to not use commonsense or to behave in an ethical manner.

Having nearly been decapitated by some of these customers and watched these selfish savages monopolize most of the beach, I have  no sympathy to their clients who support their gangsterism. Honestly, I would have not been upset had the  Chilean done a few bounces on the pavement as well. It would have been an appropriate  reminder that engaging in selfish harmful  acts can have  a negative outcome. If more of these  jerks suffer some physical damage, perhaps  hey will get the hint to avoid the activity and maybe just maybe the local officials including the Marine 5 police unit will enforce the law that says there is to be no commercial activity on a public beach. 

There needs to be a set of regulations implemented and enforced and not by the operators or by the paying tourists for that matter as they see fit, as they don't seem fit to regulate themselves any longer.  He must have been a cheap thrill seeker by just looking at the photo with the wind bent trees, pelting sideways rain, and surf crashing in on the beach.  This is a prime example of why travel insurance does not cover these activities because there are no regulations or safety standards... a prime example of flying by the seat of your pants...

stupid is, as stupid does.

3 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

Interesting......................no English script on that medics tunic only Thai and Chinese..........

Those attending medical services are not EMT. They are medical volunteers attached to a Chinese foundation. As suchs most of them do not have English on their uniforms or cars. The foundation does get payment per handled case.

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

I don't think it was harsh. The issue of the parasailing and the jet skis is a well publicized issue. It is is quite obvious that the  use of the equipment is irresponsible and selfish. The Chilean made the decision to satisfy his hedonistic desire and to not use commonsense or to behave in an ethical manner.

Sure, they're well publicized if you've lived here a while.  But a tourist fresh off the plane may not have a clue, especially if they're new at traveling to the less developed world.

You may as well cheer every time a dozen tourists burn up in a mini-van crash, because their dangers are even better well known and mini-vans put thousands of innocents at risk. 

But I blame the drivers and the authorities, not the passengers.

Another day, another dollar baht...

This morning had a ride down to Chalong, came back via Kata/Karon, stopped at both beaches. They looked good, busy with tourists enjoying themselves (bar the horrible looking mustard coloured water midway along the surf of Kata beach) Patong on the other hand looked its usual self, a $hithole... At least tourists can enjoy the watersports in all weather conditions here though! Such a shame but obviously the authorities do not care as long as arrangements are kept and everyone is happy 

21 hours ago, Gandtee said:

I did it thirty years ago and loved it. And microlighted off the beach in Ban Phe. There is more chance of being topped by crossing the road. Why is everyone in this PC age ready and eager to ban anything with a bit of risk? :saai:

Because;

-the people who run the show at patong beach are  mobsters

- the parasail business is illegal

- the parasail and jet ski commercial operations monopolize most of the beach and  pollute the water with their petrol and exhaust making the beach  unusable for no jet skiers and non parasailers.

- I counted 90 jet skis and 5  parsailing boats in the small beach area last time I was in patong. Talk about dangerous and greedy.

- The boats are not properly operated, nor is the equipment safe and well maintained.