Maximum extensions in a year?

The immigration lady said I cannot keep extending the visa because I have done 6 times in one year.

Is this the same case at a Laos border crossing or is there any other methods?

Do I just show them that I have some cash in a bank?

I asked her what to do she said go away and find out by yourself.

There Is  no written limit on the number of extensions you can do over any amount of time.

What immigration office was that at? Sounds like a grumpy immigration officer to me?

What type of entry were you trying to extend?

You can try at another office if you have a local address to put on the TM7 form.

You can do two 30 day visa exempt entries per calendar year at a land border crossing. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, johnray said:

The immigration lady said I cannot keep extending the visa because I have done 6 times in one year.

Surely, in theory six extensions per year would be the maximum, based on 30 day VE entries and 30 day extensions of each of these, 6 x 60 = 360 days.

20 minutes ago, johnray said:

It was the main immigration office.  The big blue one.

I assume that is in Bangkok at Chaeng Wattana.

It seems you have been getting 30 day visa exempt entries by leaving and re-entering the country for a new entry. Those are only intended to stay for short periods of time not to live here.

Probably time to go to a nearby embassy or consulate to get single entry tourist visa that will allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

8 minutes ago, flyingdoc said:

How many VE entries can one have then,  if NOT back to back?

There is no written limit when entering by air. The officer will get an alert when you have of 6 them to inform the officer they need to check your history. If he thinks it needs a further review you will pulled to the side and questioned about what your are doing here by a supervisor.

23 hours ago, johnray said:

... I will get education visa.  Seems like a good deal to study Thai and get to stay.

Be sure that the school you choose will handle the extensions to your ED for you (for a fee), or you will encounter a new set of hassles - short-extensions, 'tests' of your Thai-language abilities, etc.

Note that if you had been getting Tourist Visas in Laos, you would only need 4 extensions/year.  It was extending repeated visa-exempt entries that raised the count.  Even so, rejection of standard extensions is rare - thanks for reporting this.

On 9/27/2017 at 2:44 PM, Mattd said:

Surely, in theory six extensions per year would be the maximum, based on 30 day VE entries and 30 day extensions of each of these, 6 x 60 = 360 days.

I don't think 6 exemptions in a year is correct. It is 6 records that are in their computer system, not necessarily back-to-back to trigger the alert.

1 minute ago, chrisinth said:

I don't think 6 exemptions in a year is correct. It is 6 records that are in their computer system, not necessarily back-to-back to trigger the alert.

The OP asked the question 'maximum extensions in a year' as he was seemingly refused an extension due to 6 previous extensions, I was just pointing out that 6 extensions would be the maximum you could get in a 12 months period. :smile:

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

The OP asked the question 'maximum extensions in a year' as he was seemingly refused an extension due to 6 previous extensions, I was just pointing out that 6 extensions would be the maximum you could get in a 12 months period. :smile:

:smile: Noted

1 hour ago, leonardjones625 said:

So does anyone actually know if the count resets every year, or if it is a total running count?

Whether there is any alert for extensions is, as yet, not confirmed. For visa exempt entries, the count seems to start in 2015. Presumably, at some stage, they will stop counting old entries, but there is no evidence they have yet started to do so.

13 hours ago, Mattd said:

someone who was not making full use of the 30 + 30 days could require more to stay full time.

On 9/27/2017 at 2:52 PM, johnray said:

It was the main immigration office.  The big blue one.

She said she put a warning on my record.

Is it likely that the OP would run into difficulties, extending a future SETV or Education Visa, with the 'warning on his record' at that particular immigration office?

7 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Is it likely that the OP would run into difficulties, extending a future SETV or Education Visa, with the 'warning on his record' at that particular immigration office?

I doubt there is really a warning. That is not something that can be routinely entered. That was more a threat than fact since there is no written rule that says there is limit on extensions. The refusal was based upon abuse of the visa exempt privilege. 

Even if there was something it would only be for extensions of visa exempt entries and not affect any other extension applications.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

someone who was not making full use of the 30 + 30 days could require more to stay full time.

I suppose this could happen if they were to use just a few days of the extension each time, in which case they are not really staying full time, far better off getting a visa of some type.

I go to Laos.  Than 30 days later extend it again at immigration for 30 days.

The lady said ''I remember you. You can't keep coming back here again and again.  This is the last time.  I will put a note on your record.''

She took the money 1,900 baht than gave me the stamp after it was processed.

Edited by johnray

The Immigration Officer did you a favor because she's made you realize that you need a change of plan. Better to learn from her than at the border or an airport where there's a possibility of being refused entry.

Be wary of going for an education visa. That also has been tightened up. As suggested, make your next trip to Laos an overnight and get a Single Entry Tourist Visa. That will give you even more time to study the education visa situation.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update.  I did a visa run to Vientiane by air from Don Mueang and back and when I came back there were no problems.  The officer did not speak to me she just stamped everything.  I have another tourist visa.

Ironically the que was short and it was the shortest time I have had to wait.

So there was no mark on my profile at the airports.  Only a note at the immigration office system.

Edited by johnray

23 hours ago, johnray said:

I did a visa run to Vientiane by air from Don Mueang and back and when I came back there were no problems.  The officer did not speak to me she just stamped everything.  I have another tourist visa.

Previously, you were getting Visa-Exempt entries.  Did you get a Tourist Visa at the consulate in Vientiane, this time?

2 hours ago, johnray said:

Yes I got the tourist visa at the airport.  Cost 1900 baht I think maybe less.

If you "received a tourist visa at the airport" this must mean a Laos visa on arrival when entering Laos. It has nothing to do with a (free) visa exempt entry when entering through the airport in Thailand, or applying for a Thai tourist visa at the Royal Thai Consulate in Vientiane which, on return to Thailand, would give you a 60-day entry. (The Thai tourist visa will cost 1,000 baht in Vientiane.)

21 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Previously, you were getting Visa-Exempt entries.  Did you get a Tourist Visa at the consulate in Vientiane, this time?

14 hours ago, johnray said:

Yes I got the tourist visa at the airport.  Cost 1900 baht I think maybe less.

I was referring to the way you entered Thailand. 

Some countries can purchase a "Visa On Arrival" when entering Thailand (Andorra, Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan), but that is for 15 days.

You said you were entering, getting 30-days, then extending 30-days.  That sounded like visa-exempt entries, which are free.  If you applied for a Thai tourist-visa at the Thai Consulate in Vientiane, you would have received 60-days permitted-stay on entry.