It's official - TAT was right all along about booming tourism!

webfact

It's official - TAT was right all along about booming tourism!

2pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Latest figures released by the World Tourism Organization show Thailand's tourism is booming like never before - they are up to number three in the world.

The figures - based on revenues from tourism - show that while Thailand lags well behind the USA, the country is catching up on Spain.

And Thailand has beaten out many European heavyweights such as France, Italy and the UK.

The figures will confirm the optimistic views expressed by the tourism authorities in Thailand in recent months and go some way to silencing critics who say the TAT "massage the truth".

The WTO said Thailand raked in a staggering 49.9 billion US dollars in the 2016-2017 period under review.

Here are the top ten:

1. USA US 205.9 billion

2. Spain 60.3

3. Thailand 49.9

4. China 44.4

5. France 42.5

6. Italy 40.2

7. UK 39.6

8. Germany 37.4

9. Hong Kong 32.9

10.Australia 32.4

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-28

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, harada said:

Figures supplied to WTO by TAT. ?

We all have to disregard this. Call it an unrealistic mindset that created a comment not worth reading.

Maybe this information will make all the comments about that TAT makes stupid remarks go away for awile. Guess not, because some people just ain´t willing to understand when they are wrong.

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

We all have to disregard this. Call it an unrealistic mindset that created a comment not worth reading.

Maybe this information will make all the comments about that TAT makes stupid remarks go away for awile. Guess not, because some people just ain´t willing to understand when they are wrong.

Nice member name. However...

TAT are lying through their teeth, to put it mildly. Sure, Bangkok is a hub where people stay: especially to be able to go somewhere else, fast. Quality American and European visitors have been discouraged to come to Thailand by high prices, ever-changing visa-requirements, the continuance of rip-offs and , frankly, the abundance of Chinese and Indians at all touristic venues.

Nowadays the surrounding asian countries, or even the Spanish costa's , Islands, and not-to-forget the Carribean offer the same, or more bang for your pound, euro, or buck , and your welcome to stay, if you want.

4 hours ago, nong38 said:

If these figures are true why are there so many empty rooms in Pattaya? I never book ahead now and I can see by the number round the pool how busy they are and the staff confirm it, sceptical yes indeed.

If you are finding empty hotels it's because thousands of condos are illegally rented every day to short-term renters.

5 hours ago, nong38 said:

If these figures are true why are there so many empty rooms in Pattaya? I never book ahead now and I can see by the number round the pool how busy they are and the staff confirm it, sceptical yes indeed.

Its probably due to 1. Newbuild hotels/apartments have increased availability 2. The demographics have changed, Johnny Foreigner from EU etc looking for a few weeks RnR has been replaced by Millions of Asians that prefer other activities and tend to stay in accommodation that is easily accessable by buses.

Everyday I see hundreds of buses full of Koreans/Chinesse in Pattaya and this is low season.

Having lived and worked in China and India.....I don't remember MasterCard being flashed around much ?
So I guess the figures for these tourist numbers has to come from somewhere else. 
It is true that there are droves of zero dollar tourists being bussed around to paraglide, zip line, look at temples, ride on elephants etc.,
There are also the many tourists "numbers" that come over the Malay border and I have seen lots of Singaporeans at BKK heading to do a week-ends shopping.

I am as skeptical as most on here about TAT, but the total personnel against money coming in and distributed
to the masses making the economy better and "all" the locals wealthier and happier...........doubt it.

6 hours ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

Ya, 48 million are noisy Chinese. Got to believe American and European numbers are going down. Who wants to get pushed around and yelled at? 

That just shows what you knew! Thailand do not even have 48 million turists every year. That just somehow makes your calculation wrong from start. Guess you know where.

You would be surprised how many European and American turists that are visiting Thailand. According to statistics for the first quarter of 2017, is chinese tourist only represented with 27%.
For your information. The total amount of tourists visiting Thailand 2016 was a little bit over 32,5 million.

The amount of people travelling to Thailand from Europe was in August 2017: 437 739 people

I guess that was more than you thought! :smile:

USD 49.9 billion = USD 49'900'000'000 = THB 1'596'800'000'000 or THB 1.596 trillion. 

Taking 30 million tourists the above amount was "earned with" it hits a spending per alien capita of THB 53'226; at an average stay of 9 days a staggering THB 5'914/day/capita based on most tourists arrive on 
half twin/ABF basis - go figure ......

Wonder when the statistic of statistics is published by the TAT

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Where do you think did MasterCard get their info from?

Sure as hell not from me. Not gonna pay 220 thb per withdrawal and majority of businesses don't accept cards.

And last time I checked countries such China, India aren't on the top of no cash societies 

Edited by JohnLick

All I can say is at DMK with my wife one afternoon this week, she asked me what was going on, where have all the people come from, why so many here today.

The international terminal was jam packed. Almost every check-in counter had very, very long lines. I counted thirty people waiting in a line to use a drinking fountain, twenty people in the Dairy Queen shop. McDonalds and S+P etc. etc. were full, no empty tables. There would have been over a hundred in line where you pick up your duty-free from. All seats in the downstairs waiting area where you get bused to your plane from were taken, with people resorting to sitting on the floor.

Happily, immigration has finally got their act together with many more desks now open to handle the influx. Ten minutes to exit, twenty minutes on return.

5 hours ago, JohnLick said:

Sure as hell not from me. Not gonna pay 220 thb per withdrawal and majority of businesses don't accept cards.

And last time I checked countries such China, India aren't on the top of no cash societies 

Maybe not from you, but maybe from people like my sister: She also uses a Mastercard and doesn't care too much about the 220THB card fee. She's staying in a nice hotel with her husband and kids in PhangNga for 10 nights (60 000 Baht), she's rented a car for the same period for 30 000 Baht because she doesn't want to get fleeced by <deleted> taxi drivers out of principle (yet to use the car) and the average meal for the fam is over 1000 Baht. 

"majority of businesses don't accept cards."

I think it depends on the type of business. Most supermarkets, regitsered clothing stores, petrol stations and half-decent restaurants accept credit cards.