The Question No One Can Answer

jasperblubber2005

:o

i have lived in pattaya for the last four months, i had planned to do a lot when i moved here but there is one thing that has been a royal pain to me and getting someone (thai or farang) to give me an answer has been impossible.

in isaan they have a dance that appears to be very traditional, the dancers use there hands a lot, its really a beautiful dance to watch, there must be millions of copies of ladies doing this dance on dvd or vcd, yet every person, especially ladies or men from issan gets me this "have no idea what your talking about stare".

is the taping or filming of this dance been outlawed or banned, i have gone into department stores, grocery store( big C) talked to people on the street, even farangs married to thai women(isaan) but no answer.

i can't think of another country that you could go into and have this much diffeculty in finding something so basic and simple, can someone on this forum give me some idea as to why this is such a major issue so i can understand why this is a problem.

i came here to live last sept on a permanent basis, but i have discover that the thailand that i knew from eight years of vacationing here is nothing like the thailand that i am seeing now,i was planning on going back to the states this sept when my visa ran out but i have decided that march will be the time to go back, can someone take a few moments to give me an idea as to why it is so hard to get a copy of isaan ladies doing this traditional dance, thank you

jasper

:

i came here to live last sept on a permanent basis, but i have discover that the thailand that i knew from eight years of vacationing here is nothing like the thailand that i am seeing now,i was planning on going back to the states this sept when my visa ran out but i have decided that march will be the time to go back, can someone take a few moments to give me an idea as to why it is so hard to get a copy of isaan ladies doing this traditional dance, thank you

jasper

Hi jasper,

Why don't you do yourself a big favour and hop on the next bus to Khon Kaen, when you get there book yourself into a guest house for 400 baht a night and hire a motorbike and check out Issan first hand.

Go and see the traditional dancers near the lake in Khun Kaen at the 100 baht all you can eat plus watch the live Issan dancing...stunning ladies. The most fluid hand movements I have ever seen. Big bottles of leo 30 baht as well :o

Try getting out of the pattaya scene for a bit and recharge your batteries, it sounds like you are disappointed. Pattaya is one version of Thailand but its a big country out there mate.

I am sure many other Issanites may have advise where you can get copies of the dancing..I hope so anyway

Andy

• Like 2

i have lived in pattaya for the last four months,...

...but i have discover that the thailand that i knew from eight years of vacationing here is nothing like the thailand that i am seeing now

Welcome to the real Thailand Jasper... nothing like the Pattaya scene at all is it?

in isaan they have a dance that appears to be very traditional, the dancers use there hands a lot, its really a beautiful dance to watch,

I think you'll find that this is a traditional style of dancing... no specific dance movements or choreography... just a style of dancing that has evolved from (probably) Khmer roots. See the stone carvings on the Khmer temple ruins for example in Ankhor Wat or Khao Pra Whihan.

... can someone take a few moments to give me an idea as to why it is so hard to get a copy of isaan ladies doing this traditional dance, thank you

jasper

My advice... buy some food and drink... throw a party... get some Isaan music happening... invite the whole village... and record it on video... sanook mak mak!!!

:D

in isaan they have a dance that appears to be very traditional, the dancers use there hands a lot, its really a beautiful dance to watch

I was asking my wife about the hand movements and she could interpret the movement, drawing a bow..shooting an arrow, welcoming her husband etc etc..It is a facinating art form when it is done correctly by experienced dancers. I hope I can get to understand it more.

On the other hand I watched an Issan dance show in Phuket on NYE and it wasr ubbish, the wife couldnt be bothered to watch it after a few minutes..."no story, just moving"

Thai classical dance developed from the court music of India. Today, the movements of Thai dance and the music accompanying it remain predominantly Indian, although some of the instruments used in a Thai orchestra are unique. A typical work begins with a structured composition that evolves naturally into improvisation. The music and dance of Thailand is closely related to that of Cambodia and Laos. Themes are often drawn from the Ramakien and focus on Rama and his beautiful wife Sita.

Private and government-sponsored groups have been working to preserve Thailand’s heritage in music and dance. The premier dance troupe at Srinakharinwirot University has achieved international acclaim for its performances abroad, which have included venues in the United Kingdom, Europe, the United States, and Asia. Some dancers have received royal titles conferred by the king in recognition of their contributions.

Here is a link with more info..Thai dance

Edited by pumpuiman

beat me to it; maybe morlum,or lum sing???

but there is the southern style as well....and the northern styles.....

just go and look at pics on the front of dvd's: u should see pics of a singer or two , or a group plus lots of people in glittery costumes on the front cover....or karoake luuk tuung (country)music which will also have the dancing in the background...

or go to the internet, type in thai dance etc and see what comes up , there's that online store fro thai music etc forgot the name, find pics, print out , go to store and buy.

or just buy a bunch and see what they are;

edit: ethaicd is the name i think.... try typing that in....

Edited by bina

รำอีสาน

Rum Isaan usually pronounced Lum Isaan means dance northeast. Copy this out and maybe you will find what you want.

Edit print this out and show to a Thai

หมอลำซิ่ง

Edited by loong

Jintara is a very popular singer. จินตหรา พูนลาภ (her name in Thai) and usually the commercial watered down style

Be warned, always try a cd before buying. The original style of this type of music is an aquired taste, the more commercial style is enjoyed all over Thailand.

It is a shame that you didn't post this a few weeks back, there was a show on South Pattaya Road, you'd have loved it.

There are often shows of this type in Pattaya, hopefully there will be another before you leave. If I here of on will PM you.

I have been to many LumSing in Isaan and enjoyed them immensely. The only thing is that often there the audience are discouraged from dancing. They only allow dancing at the sides of the stage, not in front and is usually only the men who dance. Anyone trying to dance in front of the stage will have a gun pointed at them and are told to sit down!

I did go to a few where everyone, including the ladies danced freely and I was practically mobbed when dancing with them, what an experience, made to feel like a superstar :D:o

first thank you all for taking the time to respond to what has been one of the most aggrevating things i have experienced since coming here, some very good ideas and i plan on acting on at least two of them, wish you the best

jasper

Just entering 'mor lam' on google got 900+ hits, do not mix up 'mor lam' with traditional Thai dancing - 2 different things - mor lam can be danced by anybody and the hand movements are as the dancer wants them to be!

Traditional Thai dancing is similar to Ballet in the west but run of the mill mor lam is everybody getting up and enjoying themselves. There are styles that will become shows and there is the local village party - everybody from Issan likes mor lam!

post-16800-1168349536_thumb.jpg

post-16800-1168349874_thumb.jpg

• 11 years later...

https://www.thai2siam.com/thai-traditional-dances

This gives a fairly decent answer but there are so many variations of the dances described in different local dialects. Below is a dance to Morlam music at a spiritualist ceremony in Loei

Below is a similar dance but the music is Kaen Pipes, drums and cymbals.

Below is wilder street version from Yasothon

Below is the Pot dance being performed in Nong Khai but is also played in Pattaya at the Issan bar where both Morlam and Morlam sing is performed .This starts of slow and speeds up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The manic said:

This gives a fairly decent answer but there are so many variations of the dances described in different local dialects.

I am amazed that this 11 year old topic you dug up is not archived.

• Like 1

So many different dances.

If you could video yourself doing the dance and post the video . perhaps we can be of more help with providing you with an answer.

Please wear traditional costume and makeup for better identification.

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am amazed that this 11 year old topic you dug up is not archived.

Oh well perhaps it's a good thing. It's a fascinating subject. Below is a similar dance but the music is Kaen Pipes, drums and cymbals.This should have been the relevant video i missed out in my response. I love Thai music on all its variations. 

Edited by The manic

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

So many different dances.

If you could video yourself doing the dance and post the video . perhaps we can be of more help with providing you with an answer.

Please wear traditional costume and makeup for better identification.

This is what they wear in Dansai 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Joinaman said:

issaan bar on Walking Street ?

Cab film if you ask , lots of Thais dancing and its 2 for 1 beers before 9pm

Yes but it gets dearer later but it's a good opportunity to hear both Morlam and Morlam sing and some Thai pop anthems. Plenty of Morlam Dancing going on and very few loutish foreigners. There are other less well know Issan clubs around Pattaya...late night places. Below is a video taken at Ban Sat Keow. Dancers are practising in the temple grounds for the competition to be held later. Part of the Rocket Festival. You can see toddlers learning this dance as soon as they are old enough to walk.

Edited by The manic