Buying coffee beans in Pattaya?

soistalker

Most cheap blenders come with an attachment that makes "grinding" coffee easy. It's more like slashing than grinding, but I can't see why it would make any difference.

You find doing it "satisfying". I just find it a chore LOL.
It does. Google blade vs burr grinders.
For example:

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2014/01/replace-blade-grinder-with-burr-grinder-best-coffee-equipment-advice.html

Sent from my K3 Note using Tapatalk

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/4/2018 at 8:02 PM, tropo said:

Most cheap blenders come with an attachment that makes "grinding" coffee easy. It's more like slashing than grinding, but I can't see why it would make any difference.

Seems to me that the way it is ground makes a difference.

A fine grind seems to produce greater flavor.

Never had the pleasure of "slashed" coffee.

On 1/4/2018 at 7:02 PM, tropo said:

The grind is important if you are using an expresso machine. Too coarse and you will get a cup full of water, too fine and you will get nothing at all. Plus if you just slash at them you will generate heat and ruin the flavour.

6 hours ago, vcpilot said:

It does. Google blade vs burr grinders.
For example:

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2014/01/replace-blade-grinder-with-burr-grinder-best-coffee-equipment-advice.html

Sent from my K3 Note using Tapatalk

I'd love to do an experiment. Take any brand of coffee beans and grind a batch in a very expensive burr grinder and another batch in my blending attachment. Then we prepare 10 cups of coffee, 5 from each grinding method. We set out the 10 cups of coffee and a coffee aficionado has to determine which cups were prepared by which grinding method.

Even if he manages to get them right, I doubt a normal person will.

The guy that wrote that article is invested in the coffee business. He sells coffee making equipment. He has to talk up the need for expensive grinders because he sells them.

I suppose the bottom line is, if I enjoy my cups of coffee ground by blender attachment, that's all that matters. Any attempt to fine tune my coffee taste will cost money and make a simple job too complicated.

4 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

The grind is important if you are using an expresso machine. Too coarse and you will get a cup full of water, too fine and you will get nothing at all. Plus if you just slash at them you will generate heat and ruin the flavour.

Fair enough, but I don't use an espresso or an "expresso" machine. My coffee brewer just drips hot water over the grind. I don't think it's very fussy.

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

You can choose how fine you want it. If you want it really fine, slash it for longer. You control the coarseness by the length of time you slash.

I have recently bought a blender with a dry mill and a hand held grinder so I have been trying both. The grinder denfintly makes a better coffee but it takes about 5 mins to blend the coffee lol.So I am using the blender instead it still tastes good so I can't be bothered to blend it most times, unless it's late in which case I use the grinder because my neighbours have a baby and I am worried that the blender might sound like a electric drill and wake the baby up.

As for the beans there self very nice roasted the day before I bought them, but I find the premium ones in friendship slightly stronger. However I haven't been weighing out my coffee beans so this could be why.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You can choose how fine you want it. If you want it really fine, slash it for longer. You control the coarseness by the length of time you slash.
No it comes out very fine in my blender but I can definitely taste the difference, Don't ask me why.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, tropo said:

I'd love to do an experiment. Take any brand of coffee beans and grind a batch in a very expensive burr grinder and another batch in my blending attachment. Then we prepare 10 cups of coffee, 5 from each grinding method. We set out the 10 cups of coffee and a coffee aficionado has to determine which cups were prepared by which grinding method.

Even if he manages to get them right, I doubt a normal person will.

The guy that wrote that article is invested in the coffee business. He sells coffee making equipment. He has to talk up the need for expensive grinders because he sells them.

I suppose the bottom line is, if I enjoy my cups of coffee ground by blender attachment, that's all that matters. Any attempt to fine tune my coffee taste will cost money and make a simple job too complicated.

The difference is with a burr grinder is the the accuracy of the grind, from 1 to 10 say and get the same grind every time,if like me you just measure with a spoon and grind in a magic bullet it's all a bit random.I keep promising myself to buy a burr grinder one day.Nowdays I have reverted back to the old no4 filters though I do blitz the beans and use a pouring kettle to slowly pour the water over it makes fresh clean coffee ,not gonna give me the god shot but it makes me happy.