Fugitive ex-PM Yingluck Shinawatra seeks asylum in UK

snoop1130

38 minutes ago, R123 said:

If she is granted asylum in the UK then what measures, if any, might the government here in Thailand take against Brits coming to or living in Thailand?

Just as well I have an Australian passport as well.  But that said, I doubt there would be any repercussions, we shall see, it'll be interesting to see developments.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Meanwhile Ying' was well happy with her new go anywhere passport .. 

sketch-1506720358342.png

Yep, that would then enable her to stand for Labour at the next General Election (which might well take place sooner rather than later). And in the (highly likely) event of Labour winning she will probably be appointed to a senior position in the new Cabinet, with strict instructions from ol' Jezza to write a blank cheque payable to the EU as part of the Brexit deal.:crazy:

34 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

So you have actually seen the so-called evidence yourself have you and you have absolute faith in the Thai judiciary system being completely independent from the executive or the legislegislative branches of government? 

An ex-judge did admit that political expediency in few political cases. Article 44 was used to protect all officials involved in the rice scheme case including the G2G. Faith in the judiciary system gets quite a beating with this kind of revelation. 

Some extraordinary posts on this forum. She approved of fake rice deals which beifited her friends and cost the country millions. It was a fair trial started before the coup. She was at least cleared of cleared of negligence. So some posters think she did nothing wrong. 

23 minutes ago, manarak said:

I suppose the asylum has been pre-approved, otherwise it would not have been made public.

With this whole post-fest being based on an article published in that cutting-edge, insightful and factual news repository, "Coconuts Bangkok", I am confident that things aren't as cut and dried as you suppose. 

Just now, portroyal said:

This is an inner political thai matter

Farangs should avoid to comment

no it isn't. it involves ousted PM's from Thailand living in farang countries after conviction so farangs have a right to their opinion. also this is a thai forum with many farang members.

14 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Not a snowballs chance in hell !    They would never agree to extradite her to a Military Junta in any country.

14 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Not a snowballs chance in hell !    They would never agree to extradite her to a Military Junta in any country.

One of the fundamental principles of International Law is. The legal system of a country will not grant extradition unless the act of the person whose extradition is sought is also unlawful in the that country.

A simple, related, example, a country which does now allow the death penalty, will not grant extradition to someone facing execution at home.

Good luck to the Thai authorities in proving that. Is there any country in which the impugned act is a criminal one? Except Thailand of course. The same might be said about the offence for which the other Shinawatra PM was convicted.

17 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Do they really have any idea where she is I mean someone only stated yesterday she was in Dubai !

The other day a Dubai source was quoted as saying she left for the UK on September 11th. Something about all that sun and sand wreaking havoc on her delicate complection. 

Edited by ThaiWai

2 minutes ago, jorj44 said:

Does anyone dare compare those beautiful warm long summer days in England with 365 days per year where the temperature never budges out of the 30 to 35 degree temperature range?

she'll hate a stroll through hyde park in a few months, Wimbledon centre court in the spring, and shopping around mayfair in the summer. it's gonna be an absolute nightmare for her

3 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

most thais I know that live in the uk prefer the weather there. and if you have ever been to the uk you will know that the weather is seasonal

I have been there every summer between 1977 and 1999. The regattas (offshore races) that I joined were always wet, cold and windy !!! Cowes week, Ramsgate week, Fastnet race

Just now, PAIBKK said:

I have been there every summer between 1977 and 1999. The regattas (offshore races) that I joined were always wet, cold and windy !!! Cowes week, Ramsgate week, Fastnet race

but you still loved it that's why you went all those years. anyway. it's warmer now. global warming I blame 5555

5 minutes ago, jorj44 said:

Does anyone dare compare those beautiful warm long summer days in England with 365 days per year where the temperature never budges out of the 30 to 35 degree temperature range?

Agreed. I would take the 5 years in a Thai jail before freedom in Dubai. I suppose if you are rich though you never actually leave an air conditioned space. 

2 minutes ago, KMA said:

My question is how she even traveling from country to country with no passport?

She has a Thai passport, and no doubt will soon get a spare from an amenable country, if one has not been organised for her already.