Fugitive ex-PM Yingluck Shinawatra seeks asylum in UK

snoop1130

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

There is no way Yingluck will be given political asylum in the UK, because Britain has too many business interests with Thailand including they would not want to upset international relations with Thailand. It simply won`t happen.

I personally believe this is a red herring, Yingluck probably made well laid plans with her supporters long ago, she knows exactly what`s she`s doing. I do agree with the report that it`s very convenient for the Thai government to have Yingluck well off the scene and why I`d bet my last penny she`ll never be caught and never be seen in Thailand again, exactly like her brother.

Time will tell sunshine as the UK has done so on many occasions before, one I can think of right now was that young lady Rose and Thai would love to get their hands on Andrew MacGregor Marshall along with Giles Ji Ungpakorn and a few more and guess what it will never happen because all are considered Political, Just like the lovely Yingluck. But I agree I do not think she is even there as there is nothing in the UK press about it and they have bloodhound press there. Maybe it the dear one ought to send some of his spies to the UK to check it out, it would give MI5 and 6 a good laugh at least.

7 hours ago, tomwct said:

England has an extradition agreement with Thailand, so if Thailand requests extradition she'll be returning home!

The poms are slightly more civilised, educated and able to analyse Thai politics than the majority of Thais, including those running the country. No chance she will be extradited no matter how many times the junta asks and their rhetorical  chest beating.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

It was recently in the news in Europe that the government of Cyprus hands out passports to anyone that invests 2,5 million euro in their country - that's only a meagre 100 million baht.

Please note that these passports make the receiver a EU citizen....

Portugal does the same, but price unknown.

The EU parliament is not pleased, but is of course powerless.

Do European countries extradite EU citizens to Thailand? I don't think so!

Absolutely correct which is why Cypress has been a bit of a bolthole for Crim's on the run and for whom money is no object especially since previously favoured destinations of exile like Spain aren't so accomodating these days ..

Meanwhile Ying' was well happy with her new go anywhere passport .. 

sketch-1506720358342.png

10 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Not a snowballs chance in hell !    They would never agree to extradite her to a Military Junta in any country.

I concur too. Not a chance. For the people with short memories - she was the legitimate leader ousted by a military coup. She would get political asylum in most nations. 

Just now, Kieranmc said:

I concur too. Not a chance. For the people with short memories - she was the legitimate leader ousted by a military coup. She would get political asylum in most nations. 

BS. She was a PM thrown out by the court for malfeasance in office for trying to push her BIL to CoP in an attempt to suborn the RTP.

THAT is for people with short memories, like you.

29 minutes ago, Kieranmc said:

Surely she was ousted by a court, two weeks before the coup eventually happened, and the PTP-led-coalition caretaker-government was then led by former caretaker-DPM/Commerce-Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan from 7th-22nd May 2014, making him the legitimate leader ousted by the coup ? :whistling:

Or do you have a source which says differently ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_Thailand

12 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Good for her. She can live in a country where the basis of law and rights was drafted almost 800 years ago rather than redrafted every 4 years.

That is cold comfort to Julian Assange. He may prefer a redraft every 4 years.

6 hours ago, tomwct said:

England has an extradition agreement with Thailand, so if Thailand requests extradition she'll be returning home!

I hate to break your bubble but extradition only works when the offence in question also exists in the country from which the defendent is being sought.

1 minute ago, Proboscis said:

I hate to break your bubble but extradition only works when the offence in question also exists in the country from which the defendent is being sought.

I am not a lawyer but spending billion of dollars of taxpayer money in a vote-buying scheme should be a crime anywhere.

12 hours ago, tomwct said:

Only applies if charges or convictions are for an offence that is recognised as a crime in both countries.

Ill conceived and poorly administered her party's policy may have been, but she did not benefit directly from them. In the UK she would have had to face the electorate, but not criminal charges.

11 hours ago, alexlm said:

They keep telling us "they are bad they lost billions of Bahts"... in every article, again and again, and again...

Brainwashing...

Yes ...it takes brains to escape with billions while being watched .......

So her brain doesn't need to be washed , and the others simply have no brain ......so maybe you mean "brain wasting"?

11 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Not a snowballs chance in hell !    They would never agree to extradite her to a Military Junta in any country.

Now that the power usurping autocrats seek to revoke her passport, pretty sure she will find sanctuary somewhere in Europe. 

Can imagine Interpol is less than excited about tracking her down, given the nature of her crime by those who found her guilty, and then let her escape.   

1 hour ago, Kieranmc said:

For people who comment and don't know.  She will not get political asylum, even her brother Thaksin did not get political asylum. Thaksin had to leave the UK quickly as his passport was revoked.

The UK will not give them asylum due to their interest in Thailand. And the fact that these charges at not made up, there is hard evidence to back it up. They were not prosecuted for no reason, they are not peaceful activist or ordinary civil servants that gave damning information or simply spoke out.

Yingluck most likely already have another passport from another country like Thaksin, which will enable them to travel anywhere. Such as Thaksin who holds at least one diplomatic passport and total of no less than 6 foreign passports.

Edited by mike324

17 minutes ago, mike324 said:

For people who comment and don't know.  She will not get political asylum, even her brother Thaksin did not get political asylum. Thaksin had to leave the UK quickly as his passport was revoked.

The UK will not give them asylum due to their interest in Thailand. And the fact that these charges at not made up, there is hard evidence to back it up. They were not prosecuted for no reason, they are not peaceful activist or ordinary civil servants that gave damning information or simply spoke out.

Yingluck most likely already have another passport from another country like Thaksin, which will enable them to travel anywhere. Such as Thaksin who holds at least one diplomatic passport and total of no less than 6 foreign passports.

Meanwhile on planet earth......

24 minutes ago, mike324 said:

Thaksin did not request Political Asylum in the UK. 

His (and his then wife's) visas were revoked by the UK in 2008. That was an act by the then (Gordon Brown) government. He has been able to come and go freely ever since.

We can only speculate whether or why Yingluck has or will opt to request asylum. The UK government doesn't comment. Personally, if she does make the request, I suspect it will be to ensure stability for her sons future.

Edited by JAG

1 hour ago, Proboscis said:

Hate to tell you this, but the UK does have a law regarding negligence in office. IIRC last used unsuccessfully against a Minister of Health some 60 years ago.

13 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Good for her. She can live in a country where the basis of law and rights was drafted almost 800 years ago rather than redrafted every 4 years.

and now has vast numbers of people on zero hour contracts,increasing number of food banks and homeless people sleeping on the streets,those that have jobs get by on anti-depressants and binge boozing to dull their fears, something is not right everywhere in the world.

11 hours ago, Thian said:

The coup came right on time because loads of angry farmers came to BKK as well...we already had hurds of Red's occupying streets/government buildings and bombings shootings.

The coup plotting came right after she won the election in 2010. Your favourite politician said that himself. Then after he set up the scene with the Bangkok Shutdown and use provocateurs and paid mercenaries to intensify the situation. Up step the General declaring to Suthep that he must be tired and let the military take over. All documented and yet you date twist the facts. Desperate ain't you.