Air France says flight AF 066 suffered serious engine damage

rooster59

Air France says flight AF 066 suffered serious engine damage

BERLIN (Reuters) - Air France said an engine on flight AF066 from Paris to Los Angeles had suffered "serious damage", forcing it to divert to Canada.

"Air France confirms that the crew of flight AF 066 operated by A380 from Paris-CDG to Los Angeles decided to divert to Goose Bay airport (Canada) following serious damage to one of its four engines," it said in a statement on Saturday.

The plane landed safely at 1542 GMT, it added.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-01

Wow! I guess we can call the disintegration (or whatever happened to it) of the fan "uncontained". I wonder what damage the #3 engine and the wing and fuselage took. If minimal, maybe the containment strategy actually worked fairly well in this case as well as considering the distance #4 is from the fuselage. Very lucky passengers and crew, IMHO.

Lucky, probably yes. There are fuel tanks within the wings that extend out past the outer engines. Apparently there was no damage to the wing. fuselage or inner engine but more inspection reports will follow.(EDITED after seeing pic below) The front part of the engine (main fan area and cowling) has gone and this is physically clear of and below the leading edge of the wing but in the picture I can see damage to the leading edge (slat) just outboard of the damaged engine.

Lucky? Definitely yes. These are EA engines, maybe Air France, as an EU airline, should have bought from RR? 

Photo taken by Air France passenger David Rehmar who was on the A380 flight from Paris to Los Angeles that was diverted to Newfoundland after one of its engines sustained serious damage.

Edited by nauseus

11 minutes ago, nauseus said:

<snip>

Lucky? Definitely yes. These are EA engines, maybe Air France, as an EU airline, should have bought from RR? 

From memory the QANTAS A380 uncontained engine failure (from Changi to Sydney, happened over Batam Island) was RR - something about oil pump/part

Just now, Argus Tuft said:

From memory the QANTAS A380 uncontained engine failure (from Changi to Sydney, happened over Batam Island) was RR - something about oil pump/part

It was indeed.

Just now, Argus Tuft said:

It was but they've fixed that! I hope.

1 minute ago, Argus Tuft said:

Trying to remember what it was - oil stub pipe??

The ATSB found that the (QANTAS) engine failure was the result of a fatigue crack in an oil feed pipe. The crack allowed the release of oil that resulted in an internal oil fire. The oil fire led to one of the engine’s turbine discs separating from the drive shaft. The disc then over-accelerated and broke apart, bursting through the engine casing and releasing other high energy debris.

The ATSB also found that the oil pipe, together with a number of similar pipes in other engines, had been made with a thin wall section and did not comply with the design specifications. The thin wall substantially increased the likelihood of fatigue cracking.

UNQUOTE

12 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I always trusted more Boeing than Airbus.

Nothing to do with Airbus or Boeing...Its the Engine that had the problem..American built for your information!.

18 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I always trusted more Boeing than Airbus.

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

The ATSB found that the (QANTAS) engine failure was the result of a fatigue crack in an oil feed pipe. The crack allowed the release of oil that resulted in an internal oil fire. The oil fire led to one of the engine’s turbine discs separating from the drive shaft. The disc then over-accelerated and broke apart, bursting through the engine casing and releasing other high energy debris.

The ATSB also found that the oil pipe, together with a number of similar pipes in other engines, had been made with a thin wall section and did not comply with the design specifications. The thin wall substantially increased the likelihood of fatigue cracking.

UNQUOTE

had been made with a thin wall section and did not comply with the design specifications

Made in China????

I believe that the qantas  was a Rolls Royce Engine perhaps I missed it on another reply . but what engine manufacture was this?

I was watching a Air Disaster show on NG chanel last week about the qantas flight.

Edited by sirineou

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

I believe that the qantas  was a Rolls Royce Engine perhaps I missed it on another reply . but what engine manufacture was this?

I was watching a Air Disaster show on NG chanel last week about the qantas flight.

EA  

50/50 joint venture between GE Aviation, a subsidiary of General Electric, and Pratt & Whitney,

http://www.enginealliance.com/

15 minutes ago, nauseus said:

EA  

50/50 joint venture between GE Aviation, a subsidiary of General Electric, and Pratt & Whitney,

http://www.enginealliance.com/

Thank you for that info

From the link you so kindly provided I read that these engines are in 60% of A380s

from the picture in this thread it looks like the first stage intake compressor (is that the correct term) has fallen apart. 

Bad news for Airbus, Since the beginning of this month   Airbus stock is up 12%  I wonder How this will affect the Emirates deal and  if its time to short the stock.

44 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Thank you for that info

From the link you so kindly provided I read that these engines are in 60% of A380s

from the picture in this thread it looks like the first stage intake compressor (is that the correct term) has fallen apart. 

Bad news for Airbus, Since the beginning of this month   Airbus stock is up 12%  I wonder How this will affect the Emirates deal and  if its time to short the stock.

Looks like the front end of the low pressure compressor is still there but exposed. The main fan, digital control box and the big front cowling are in the sea somewhere I suppose! 

2 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Here is another pic... Yikes!!!... they are lucky the wing was not damaged...

171001-world-a380-ugc-730a_6e942bd2d3634f0873d70148169e9d6b.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg.a62f0f45a3f160c747ae27a7590931bf.jpg

I think there was some limited damage - this is a good pic - you can zoom in and look at the wing leading edge (slat) just outboard of the damaged engine pylon. It is at least scarred/discoloured and this also shows up on the photo after the aircraft parked. Looks possible that here's a wee bit of the same on the inboard side too. 

It looks like the slats extended forward and down OK before landing, which is one plus point out of this.

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

Somewhat off-topic, but there are potentially out-of-spec B737 parts in circulation, guess where they were made ...

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/595690-moog-boeing-737-parts-safety-compromised-china-charles-shi.html

Well done.

It is called the art of obfuscation.

Dangerous game that someone is playing just to skim a buck or two.

I wonder how full the flight was ?

and how did they get to LAX ?

My friend got stuck in canada on 9-11 when he was headed back to LAX , but at least they had working planes once they were allowed to fly again :)

I will ask my air France contact and see if he can tell me.,,,,,,

3 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

I wonder how full the flight was ?

and how did they get to LAX ?

My friend got stuck in canada on 9-11 when he was headed back to LAX , but at least they had working planes once they were allowed to fly again :)

I will ask my air France contact and see if he can tell me.,,,,,,

497 pax sent on to LAX with various charted/special flights incl one AF B-777 as far as Atlanta then on to special Delta flight.

10 hours ago, nauseus said:

I think there was some limited damage - this is a good pic - you can zoom in and look at the wing leading edge (slat) just outboard of the damaged engine pylon. It is at least scarred/discoloured and this also shows up on the photo after the aircraft parked. Looks possible that here's a wee bit of the same on the inboard side too. 

It looks like the slats extended forward and down OK before landing, which is one plus point out of this.

Here it is on the ground! The slat left of the engine pylon is damaged. 

961.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=394d66db40d0010de05bbaa9a04a59ad