Crackdown On Cheating At Petrol Stations

george

Yes the gas stations, even the so-called reputable ones here in BKK. do cheat!

We have a gasoline car and a diesel car (both have 40ltr. tanks) and used to fill up at an ESSO gas station near our home on Prachauthit Rd54. in Tungkruh BKK.

Our experience (usually my wife takes the cars for filling up the tanks) at this station:

According to the fuel gauge we had about 15ltr. in the tank but the station managed to get 32ltr in. (gasoline)

According to the fuel gauge we had about 10ltr. in the tank but the station managed to get 39ltr in. (diesel)

At one time we had just filled the tank and used less than 5ltr but wanted to fill it up for a long trip and they managed to get 15ltr (gasoline) in.

We started already having doubts in the accuracy of the fuel gauges, but after we used other gas stations things became quite clear.

My question:

What can you do against this scam, since there is no evidence.

opalhort

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the gas stations, even the so-called reputable ones here in BKK. do cheat!

We have a gasoline car and a diesel car (both have 40ltr. tanks) and used to fill up at an ESSO gas station near our home on Prachauthit Rd54. in Tungkruh BKK.

Our experience (usually my wife takes the cars for filling up the tanks) at this station:

According to the fuel gauge we had about 15ltr. in the tank but the station managed to get 32ltr in. (gasoline)

According to the fuel gauge we had about 10ltr. in the tank but the station managed to get 39ltr in. (diesel)

At one time we had just filled the tank and used less than 5ltr but wanted to fill it up for a long trip and they managed to get 15ltr (gasoline) in.

We started already having doubts in the accuracy of the fuel gauges, but after we used other gas stations things became quite clear.

My question:

What can you do against this scam, since there is no evidence.

opalhort

I suggest to keep a calibrated 20 or 30 liter fuel bannister in the car and have this one filled instead of filling your gas tank. Taking digital pictures and haing a witness aboard can be helpful. Then proceed with the bannister to the next police station, if there is less gas inside the bannister than the amount shown on the meter at the pump.

I've never been short-measured myself (or not that I know!) but have twice had charge cards cloned at petrol stations in Phuket. A bloody nuisance, since they were UK cards of which replacements can only be sent to my UK address.

So, yes, any 'cleaning up' of gas stations would suit me.

I have seen a couple of posters say the same about UK banks not posting replacement cards to Thailand. Barclays was going to send them to my Bkk address thru the normal post til i told them the potential dangers of that. They then sent them by DHL at no cost to me. Sweet.

Never been diddled at the pumps. just know roughly how much you need and check the pump. i always get out of the car and walk around. I love the smell of gasoline

"""(:o@

Staton attendents are notorious for not reseting the pump and start pumping before you get out of the car. Get a locking gas cap and do not give them the key until you see the pump has been zeroed out.

strange report ,

wonder how they were overcharged ?

pump delivering short ..........weights and measures or equivalent ,?

overcharging / short changing , surely you check the total on the pump / change tendered ?

It would seem after reading just the first 30 posts, that it's pretty much "all of the above"... with the addition of not resetting the pump after the previous sale... :o

Internal Trade Department to prevent cheating at petrol stations

BANGKOK: -- The Internal Trade Department will call a meeting Wednesday with Thailand's eight leading petrol station operators - PTT, Conoco, Caltex Oil, Esso Standard, Shell, BCP, Siam United Services and Petronas - to find measures to prevent cheating at fuel pumps.

Director-general Siripol Yodmuangcharoen said consumers had complained about petrol station employees overcharging them after filling their tanks.

The department and operators will find ways of cracking down on such illegal practices. Petrolstation owners will closely monitor their employees' service.

The ministry will also send an inspection team to work with petrol stations to uncover and punish dishonest employees, said Siripol

-- The Nation 2007-01-09

In most parts of the civilized world, the inner counters are locked up with a special seal that would make tampering obvious to government officials. Of course, there's no seal on the officials however... :o

I had a much better experience; stupid enough of me, I was on the phone and just trusted the guy. The car broke down 50 kilometers later cause he fueled diesel into a car that does not even have a diesel model.

This is all crap. Do you really believe that they will deal with their employees? What will they do to them? Jail them? Fire them?

Hire better more crafty employees so not so many get caught and it gets in the paper?

C'mon.

I have a fuel cap opener inside the truck. I always turn off the vehicle, open the door, get out and then when I've looked at the pump - both of them because sometimes you'll see the left at 000 but the right ....

Then I open my filling door and tell them to fill it up. And I watch while they fill it.

I hate getting ripped off and getting ripped off per my own negligence is worse.

Do they do this in India? I only ask, because they seem to like to douse people in gasoline and light them on fire. I would think a few of those incidents here with crafty fuel fillers might quell the lot of them.

Just a thought.

Oh yeah, don't read my blog <snip> you'll probably chuckle and we wouldn't want that.

Edited by Jai Dee
Link drop to external blog deleted.

I had a much better experience; stupid enough of me, I was on the phone and just trusted the guy. The car broke down 50 kilometers later cause he fueled diesel into a car that does not even have a diesel model.

Don't they have smaller openings for gasoline so that doesn't happen, or am I thinking of American Pumps.

This is all crap. Do you really believe that they will deal with their employees? What will they do to them? Jail them? Fire them?

Hire better more crafty employees so not so many get caught and it gets in the paper?

C'mon.

I have a fuel cap opener inside the truck. I always turn off the vehicle, open the door, get out and then when I've looked at the pump - both of them because sometimes you'll see the left at 000 but the right ....

Then I open my filling door and tell them to fill it up. And I watch while they fill it.

I hate getting ripped off and getting ripped off per my own negligence is worse.

Do they do this in India? I only ask, because they seem to like to douse people in gasoline and light them on fire. I would think a few of those incidents here with crafty fuel fillers might quell the lot of them.

Just a thought.

Oh yeah, don't read my blog <snip> you'll probably chuckle and we wouldn't want that.

In Pattaya beware of the Shell Sation in Pattaya Tai and also the one in Pattaya Nua.

BANGKOK: -- The Internal Trade Department will call a meeting Wednesday with Thailand's eight leading petrol station operators - PTT, Conoco, Caltex Oil, Esso Standard, Shell, BCP, Siam United Services and Petronas - to find measures to prevent cheating at fuel pumps.

Director-general Siripol Yodmuangcharoen said consumers had complained about petrol station employees overcharging them after filling their tanks.

The department and operators will find ways of cracking down on such illegal practices. Petrolstation owners will closely monitor their employees' service.

The ministry will also send an inspection team to work with petrol stations to uncover and punish dishonest employees, said Siripol

-- The Nation 2007-01-09

Worst station for me is the Shell station, Pattaya Tai (South) Road. You have to literally jump out of your car when you stop, or they will start pumping right away, before you have a chance to see if the meter was reset from the last sale, which in most cases, was not.

I've caught them red-handed a few times. Whenever you ask for a manager, they tell you he's in Bangkok and won't be back til next week. Must be in Bangkok making bank deposits with money they stole from customers.

A Jet station once wanted to charge me for 70-something liters of gas after filling up my car that has a 42 liter tank. I told them that my car holds 42 liters maximum and asked them to please wait while I call the police. Suddenly they just wanted to get paid for 42 liters.

really! anyone know how much a toyota hilux vigo 2.5, 2006 should hold and how much is left in the tank when the gauge shows E?

however, would you know something was up base on the price? i know my truck costs 1500-1600 to fill and my bikes 80-90 bhat. it's the same every time.

Edited by stevehaigh

I'm very wary about being ripped-off and this has only happened to me once to my knowledge. That was on Koh Samui. Filling from a barrel, the attendant just invented a fictional price. At that time, it was about 30 Baht to fill a small bike. He said 120 Baht. I just looked at him and so he said 50 Baht. I paid this as I could not be bothered to argue. That was the extent of the conversation.

I always watch the pump and monitor my own fuel levels and fuel consumption. I have not noticed any obvious discrepancies but I'm sure it occurs.

-- The Nation 2007-01-09

They put the nozzle back into the pump, and the dispensed total stays on the read-out glass, it's only when they remove it immediately,it resets to zero.

Happend to me, in Surin, and I get pissed 'cos they think falangs are daft, I'm from Liverpool, we invented most fiddles. Got filled with another 500bt, 'cos I started shouting like a loony, she'll think twice next time, yeah, and when I asked for the boss, he was away.

Internal Trade Department to prevent cheating at petrol stations.

Another "crackdown" full of hot air. It seems the only crackdown's enforced are those against farang, or am I being synical?

strange report ,

overcharging / short changing , surely you check the total on the pump / change tendered ?

It would seem after reading just the first 30 posts, that it's pretty much "all of the above"... with the addition of not resetting the pump after the previous sale... :D

knew there was a reason why I always get out and check the pump ............... :o

I am truly never overcharged, unless overcharging means that the pump is giving less petrol than the meter says, after all the stickers are put on the pumps in great haste.

I think that is the most common scam, unless my car is equipped with a dynamic tank.

strange report ,

dishonest employee's , sack them .........repeated occurrences sack the management .

what is the real story here ?

Happens all the time and is quite simple.You go to fill uop your car etc.A moter bike has just been before you.They have not reset the meter.Therefore you are say THB100 before they start pumping the gas.They pocket the THB100.

possible , i grant you

Yes I do photography and i took my chemical measuring jars for mixing chemicals to the station and bought a liter of gas it was short so i went to another station short also finally a station where it wasn't short so there i buy my fuel. Its interesting that so many of the stations are doing it and have been doing it for quite a while.

strange report ,

dishonest employee's , sack them .........repeated occurrences sack the management .

Happens all the time and is quite simple.You go to fill uop your car etc.A moter bike has just been before you.They have not reset the meter.Therefore you are say THB100 before they start pumping the gas.They pocket the THB100.

possible , i grant you

Yes I do photography and i took my chemical measuring jars for mixing chemicals to the station and bought a liter of gas it was short so i went to another station short also finally a station where it wasn't short so there i buy my fuel. Its interesting that so many of the stations are doing it and have been doing it for quite a while.

Its easy to reset the the measuring device so a friend of mine who owns a station told me when i mentioned to him what I found.

DIT finds way to nab oil distribution cheats

Department of Internal Trade (DIT) has called for oil dealers to find measures to prevent oil distribution cheats.

Department of Internal Trade deputy director-general Songklod Ubonsingh (ทรงกลด อุบลสิงห์) revealed that today he will hold a discussion with 9 oil dealers to prevent cheats in distributing oil to their staff. He informed that the department has received many complaints about the matter. The number of cheats is very high during New Year break.

In the meantime, he has warned motorists to carefully compare the price and the amount of fuel that they have refilled. As for oil dealers, they have been requested to improve the accuracy of computer system.

Mr. Songklod informed that more self-service oil stations have been launched by Bangchak and PTT, adding that this type of oil station can reduce oil prices by 20-30 satang per liter.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 January 2007

DIT finds way to nab oil distribution cheats

Department of Internal Trade (DIT) has called for oil dealers to find measures to prevent oil distribution cheats.

Department of Internal Trade deputy director-general Songklod Ubonsingh (ทรงกลด อุบลสิงห์) revealed that today he will hold a discussion with 9 oil dealers to prevent cheats in distributing oil to their staff. He informed that the department has received many complaints about the matter. The number of cheats is very high during New Year break.

In the meantime, he has warned motorists to carefully compare the price and the amount of fuel that they have refilled. As for oil dealers, they have been requested to improve the accuracy of computer system.

Mr. Songklod informed that more self-service oil stations have been launched by Bangchak and PTT, adding that this type of oil station can reduce oil prices by 20-30 satang per liter.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 January 2007

DIT finds way
(DIT) has called for oil dealers to find

do the headlines EVER match the story ????

I am truly never overcharged, unless overcharging means that the pump is giving less petrol than the meter says, after all the stickers are put on the pumps in great haste.

That's exactly what it means. They have messed with the pumps so that you are actually getting less fuel than is displayed on the pump and hence less than you are paying for. I personally am going to get me a calibrated fuel container and have them fill that up first to make sure things are spot on before allowing them to fill my tank. Will be a major pain in the *ss but I'm not sure what other option we have to catch them on this.

Before long we'll need test kits that will tell us the quality of the fuel and give us the water content. Can't wait for that day :o

strange report ,

Yeah this is possible if you pay cash but what does the A--- hole do when you pay by credit card ! manipulate the whole day's account !?! ........

possible , i grant you

Its easy to reset the the measuring device so a friend of mine who owns a station told me when i mentioned to him what I found.

Just a thought, but I wonder if there is such thing as a tube you can use to measure the flow volume. Stick one end into the tank, insert the nozzle into the other end, and have some kind of gauge measure how much fuel is actually going through. Mechanically it ought to be pretty simple. Then of course we could tinker around and recalibrate them to under-report how much fuel we are getting. Then we can negotiate and compromise between the pump's fraudulent reading and our own. :o

Just a thought, but I wonder if there is such thing as a tube you can use to measure the flow volume. Stick one end into the tank, insert the nozzle into the other end, and have some kind of gauge measure how much fuel is actually going through. Mechanically it ought to be pretty simple. Then of course we could tinker around and recalibrate them to under-report how much fuel we are getting. Then we can negotiate and compromise between the pump's fraudulent reading and our own. :o

http://www.omega.com/techref/flowmetertutorial.html