Will a farang teacher get a non-b teacher visa at 60years of age?

15 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Can anyone confirm that if I transfer to a non-imm 'o' then I will be able to seek employment as a teacher with a view to a work permit?

You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage. You can even use the income from working to meet the 40k baht income requirement for the extension.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

I can assure you working on a Non O based on marriage for many years now is entirely possible.

Do you mean you are on an extension based on retirement?

Yes. Well, to an extent I am not the one that will need convincing: that'll be my local immigration office.  Surat Thani is an odd office at times.

And yes, as I said, I am currently on the so called retirement visa (yearly extension of stay attached to a non imm o visa).

8 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

basically no.  One can't get a proper work permit doing that.  Unless one formed a Thai company, hired some Thais, etc. I find it a bit frustrating because I am pretty sure myself and many others similar to me would enjoy doing some tutoring or par time teaching, passing on the education and skills we have to some Thais that want or need some Western experience and lessons prior to or while temporarily back from studying abroad.

I take you to mean it is illegal to work without a permit as a private tutor. So one cant work as a private tutor without a work permit. Let me please you this: is it possible to get a work permit to work freelance as a private tutor? If not then it means the concept of a freelance private tutor legally does not exist in Thailand. Am I right?

Edited by Aditi Sharma
Added comment

5 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

I take you to mean it is illegal to work without a permit as a private tutor. So one cant work as a private tutor without a work permit. Let me please you this: is it possible to get a work permit to work freelance as a private tutor? If not then it means the concept of a freelance private tutor legally does not exist in Thailand. Am I right?

Basically yes.  I have not heard of anybody that has been able to do that.  A work permit pretty much requires you are part of some Thai company.  You as an individual won't get a Work permit for just you and yourself. It seems it should not be too difficult to get an arrangement with some school or agency to work as a tutor for them, but I bet they would want a lot of % of  what you get paid. Still, it seems to me that somebody could setup an agency that supplies Private Tutors.  I myself have no desire to     even attempt such paperwork or get involved with setting up a business in Thailand.  But it seems like it should be doable

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage. You can even use the income from working to meet the 40k baht income requirement for the extension.

I am not sure if ubonjoe will answer this I have a question based on the above response: can one get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based on marriage without there being an employer. In other words, can one be self-employed? If yes, then one can easily work as a private tutor.

11 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

I am not sure if ubonjoe will answer this I have a question based on the above response: can one get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based on marriage without there being an employer. In other words, can one be self-employed? If yes, then one can easily work as a private tutor.

Not posible you need a language school who is giving you a wp and visa and the places schools whatever where you can work for the language school.