Will a farang teacher get a non-b teacher visa at 60years of age?

4 minutes ago, Chobmak said:

I have seen ripe old farangs active yet teaching in schools in Isaan. Thai teachers retire at 60. What about foreign teachers? Will they get a non-b visa extension after 60?

How about the workpermit after 60?

Yes and yes.

The only difference is they have to be contract employees if working for a government school.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zyphodb said:

Ubonjoe, I haven't got there yet but it's getting closer,

what do you mean when you say contract employees at gov. schools?

Not working for an agency but direct for the school?

Civil servants must retire at 60, but generally only Thais can be civil servants. I would assume all foreign teachers are on yearly contracts. I don't know if government schools are strict about retirement age of foreign teachers, but private schools can hire at any age (one is close to 70 in my school, and another is 65 (retired with a pension).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stupooey said:

I retired at 64 from teaching at a government school, and would probably still be doing so today (at 67) if I so desired. 

Can I ask you this, have you gotten better with age? What do you teach, pls?

There is no age limit for work permits.  I've worked with English teachers well into their 60s.  It's the individual schools who choose to discriminate based on age, and Thailand to the best of my knowledge affords no protections against age discrimination.  In fact, it seems to be encouraged.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Denim said:

Most important thing is....teach because you want to because you enjoy it.

Don't teach just because you need the money. If you need money there are other easier ways to make money in Thailand.

Hi

Can u suggest another way of making money in Thailand if all you have are language skills?

• Haha 2

Sure. I know lots of westerners making money from the internet. Some make seriously good money.......others a living wage and still others only enough to cover utilities.

Selling on the internet is easy and anyone can do it.

There are however a few caveats.

1 You really do need a desktop computer and own internet. Very difficult to do from a laptop let alone a tablet or phone.

2 It is not absolutely essential but almost that you have a pay pal account linked to a credit or debit card.

3 A degree of computer literacy. Nothing to demanding but a complete novice will struggle.

4 Patience and lots of it. My first year of business was a learning curve and I made very little. At the time not an issue as I had sufficient cash. When the pound collapsed ( talking a long time before Brexit when pound was 72 ) I really needed to make up the lost exchange rate and by then I had the requisite experience and knowledge.

So......start now and be patient. Might take some time but it all depends on finding the right product and market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like the thread.  What are the chances of say, somebody like me. I am 60 now.  I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering, a MS in Math.  I don't want to teach young students, but I would like to teach more senior students, USA Senior High School equivalents or Junior College or University.  I still am working and my engineering skills are pretty current.  I can see me teaching technical subjects easily such as the first two years up to calculus, beginning physics and engineering courses, and of course tutoring on the side.  Perhaps even pre-calculus basic subjects such as algebra, basic statistics, and other things.  I would prefer to not be full time.  I just enjoy teaching and being a little bit busy and keeping the brain active while semi retiring.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, connda said:

Personally, my teaching skills got better as I got older.  I simply got tired of the administrative and managerial bureaucracies.  You can innovate and tune your techniques until some moronic manager administratively ties your hands behind your back.  Then it's time to hit the road which is what I did.  I left my last school with a warning to senior management that they had a serious problem with their new hire manager.  The kid had no managerial experience and immediately alienated his entire foreign staff.  Senior management did what senior management does - they backed their hire and dismissed my warnings.  That inexperience narcissist is gone and the school soon after folded due to a lack of enough paying students to fund operations.  Good job driving what had been a very successful private school right into the ground.  So is age a factor?  Maybe younger isn't better in some cases.  And old dogs can learn new tricks.  Just an observation.

Feel ya bro....same thing... but the .. the person does not have a degree in English, a Ph.D. in an unrelated field but studied abroad and is choking somebody's chicken on the ADM...

49 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I like the thread.  What are the chances of say, somebody like me. I am 60 now.  I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering, a MS in Math.  I don't want to teach young students, but I would like to teach more senior students, USA Senior High School equivalents or Junior College or University.  I still am working and my engineering skills are pretty current.  I can see me teaching technical subjects easily such as the first two years up to calculus, beginning physics and engineering courses, and of course tutoring on the side.  Perhaps even pre-calculus basic subjects such as algebra, basic statistics, and other things.  I would prefer to not be full time.  I just enjoy teaching and being a little bit busy and keeping the brain active while semi retiring.

Just have to find the school.. and a person who believes in your abilities and what you can do for their school.

14 hours ago, zyphodb said:

Ubonjoe, I haven't got there yet but it's getting closer,

what do you mean when you say contract employees at gov. schools?

Not working for an agency but direct for the school?

If you go directly to the school and they want to hire you they need to do the paperwork as wp and visa.But however in the past I try to contact several schools and they say they don't hire directly only when a language school send you there if they need a teacher you can work there but you are working for the language school and not for the goverment.

I am working directly for a gov. school at the moment, & hope to stay for many more years yet, I was just trying to clarify if I understood exactly what Ubonjoe was saying, as he is a very reliable source of knowledge on this forum...

15 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

I am working directly for a gov. school at the moment, & hope to stay for many more years yet, I was just trying to clarify if I understood exactly what Ubonjoe was saying, as he is a very reliable source of knowledge on this forum...

You would not be able to be directly employed by  the school from my understanding mentioned in other posts done about it. You are on a employment contract at this time I assume. You could continue to teach at the school but would  have to work as a contracted employee. Not sure exactly how it would be done.

Perhaps the best place to ask about it would be on the Teaching in Thailand Forum .

Yes I am on a employment contract with the school, I'm just trying to understand the difference, so as a "contracted employee" the school employs me but can't claim NES teacher allowance from the gov. ?

1 minute ago, zyphodb said:

Yes I am on a employment contract with the school, I'm just trying to understand the difference, so as a "contracted employee" the school employs me but can't claim NES teacher allowance from the gov. ?

You would lose any benefits you have now as a direct employee.

• Like 1

Ok thanks Udonjoe,

I still have a few years to go before I'm in this situation, just still have my westerners thinking ahead too much head on lol

The latest revision of the Labour Protection Act (LPA rev. 6 2560) has addressed the question of retirement age that was ambiguous in prior versions and came in to force 1st September 2560 (2017)

The age is now set at 60, however, you can work beyond that age by mutual consent.

Most employers will issue one year contracts after the employee reaches the age of 60, especially for expats.

Side note: A lot of employees are unaware that the employer has to pay severance pay to the employee at the time of retirement, based on the LPA and can be legally forced to do this.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Why cant you be a private tutor and charge by the hour or by the lesson? Wouldnt it be legal? I wonder.

18 hours ago, Stupooey said:

I retired at 64 from teaching at a government school, and would probably still be doing so today (at 67) if I so desired. 

Do you teach in Thai or English, if in English are you fully understood? At what level of education do Thais gain full competence in English? Thanks

16 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Why cant you be a private tutor and charge by the hour or by the lesson? Wouldnt it be legal? I wonder.

basically no.  One can't get a proper work permit doing that.  Unless one formed a Thai company, hired some Thais, etc. I find it a bit frustrating because I am pretty sure myself and many others similar to me would enjoy doing some tutoring or par time teaching, passing on the education and skills we have to some Thais that want or need some Western experience and lessons prior to or while temporarily back from studying abroad.

Edited by gk10002000
add
  • Like 1

On 02/10/2017 at 10:38 PM, Denim said:

Sure. I know lots of westerners making money from the internet. Some make seriously good money.......others a living wage and still others only enough to cover utilities.

Selling on the internet is easy and anyone can do it.

There are however a few caveats.

1 You really do need a desktop computer and own internet. Very difficult to do from a laptop let alone a tablet or phone.

2 It is not absolutely essential but almost that you have a pay pal account linked to a credit or debit card.

3 A degree of computer literacy. Nothing to demanding but a complete novice will struggle.

4 Patience and lots of it. My first year of business was a learning curve and I made very little. At the time not an issue as I had sufficient cash. When the pound collapsed ( talking a long time before Brexit when pound was 72 ) I really needed to make up the lost exchange rate and by then I had the requisite experience and knowledge.

So......start now and be patient. Might take some time but it all depends on finding the right product and market.

Start now, on what exactly?

Ebay, share trading, teaching online?

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Anything that you belive will make money. The internet is a fantastic tool to help anyone get forward. My mrs had very little computer knowledge. Now 3 years after starting her first buisness on line she has developed 3 other on line stores and will launch another in the near future. All her ideas as to what buisness and good she sells comes from knowing her customer base.

On topic yes after 60 you can teach and get a WP. Mine is gained  on my Non O based on marriage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Personally, I am selling. Took over a year to find something popular and in high demand. A lot of other things I tried to sell were flops in as much as they took to long to sell.

You could try the other things you mentioned but I have no personal experience with them although I do know someone who does a bit of share trading.

As I said , it can take a while to get of the ground but once you do it's worth the initial effort mainly because you are your own boss and in control of everything. Generally,the more time and thought you put into it the greater the rewards. I know people making 100,000 baht upwards but they work flat out and have been obliged to call in family members to help out......something I avoid.

17 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Anything that you belive will make money. The internet is a fantastic tool to help anyone get forward. My mrs had very little computer knowledge. Now 3 years after starting her first buisness on line she has developed 3 other on line stores and will launch another in the near future. All her ideas as to what buisness and good she sells comes from knowing her customer base.

On topic yes after 60 you can teach and get a WP. Mine is gained  on my Non O based on marriage.

Work permit as a teacher and non 'o' based on marriage is not possible I thought, but have heard 2 posters say it now.  When I went to Surat Thani immigration office I was informed I needed to transfer from my so called retirement visa to a non-immigrant b visa.  I was with my wife in the office and no mention was made of the marriage visa option.

Can anyone confirm that if I transfer to a non-imm 'o' then I will be able to seek employment as a teacher with a view to a work permit?

Edited by mommysboy

4 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Work permit as a teacher and non 'o' based on marriage is not possible I thought, but have heard 2 posters say it now.  When I went to Surat Thani immigration office I was informed I needed to transfer from my so called retirement visa to a non-immigrant b visa.  I was with my wife in the office and no mention was made of the marriage visa option.

Can anyone confirm that if I transfer to a non-imm 'o' then I will be able to seek employment as a teacher with a view to a work permit?

I can assure you working on a Non O based on marriage for many years now is entirely possible.

Do you mean you are on an extension based on retirement?

• Like 1