Visa Policy and Changes

I want to know who controls visa policy in Thailand. And who I can write to if I want to suggest changes in visa policy/policies.

As a non-Thai world citizen do I have a right to suggest changes in the first place? I want to know if thaivisa.com has created a wish-list of changes which visitors and expats have suggested over the years in these fora.

A laundry-list of changes can be regularly sent to the right department which invites suggestions on policy so that they can be understood and the best ones implemented.

Edited by Aditi Sharma
edit
  • Haha 2

You could try sending your laundry list of suggested protocol changes to immigration or somewhere. This is just my opinion : someone may or may not read it; if they do read it - level of caring - ZERO. They may even just put it straight into the trash or paper shredder.

Tourist visas must be made free for everybody but charge for extension. 1st extension - 50 dollars, 2nd extension 100 dollars. Freeze it at 100 dollars.

Abolish visa runs, consider it an extension if done within a period of 30 days and charge as above.

Edited by Aditi Sharma
changes

I would like to volunteer and send suggestions on your behalf. Visitors please leave your suggestions here. I am visiting Thailand in a month or so. I will give them a printed list of suggestions in person if somebody would kindly give me an address. 

2 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Tourist visas must be made free for everybody but charge for extension exponentially. 1st extension - 50 dollars, 2nd extension 100 dollars. Freeze it at 100 dollars.

Abolish visa runs, consider it an extension if done within a period of 30 days.. 

Dream on India is not on the list get over it. There must be a good reason why its not. So instead of trying to get everyone in the same boat why not ask immigration as to why India is not included. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Essecola said:

You could try sending your laundry list of suggested protocol changes to immigration or somewhere. This is just my opinion : someone may or may not read it; if they do read it - level of caring - ZERO. They may even just put it straight into the trash or paper shredder.

Whatever happened of Thailand 4.0. Didnt anybody care to send suggestions pertaining to visa policy? 

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

Dream on India is not on the list get over it. There must be a good reason why its not. So instead of trying to get everyone in the same boat why not ask immigration as to why India is not included. 

I will. Thanks. Anything else, pls?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Tourist visas must be made free for everybody but charge for extension. 1st extension - 50 dollars, 2nd extension 100 dollars. Freeze it at 100 dollars.

Abolish visa runs, consider it an extension if done within a period of 30 days and charge as above.

The temporary stay for tourists is limited to a max stay of 90 days by the immigration act of 1979. It has not been amended since it was issued.I think it is untouchable since it has not been changed in all those years.

There have been ministerial order done as work around certain clauses of it. For example the 5 year visa for the Thai Elite program. 

• Thanks 1

Visa policy is a function of bilateral policy. Thai visitors are charged 50 dollars for a tourist evisa in India which is not fair because I personally believe that tourist visas should be free. And I shall be pursuing the matter as a public-interest thing with the ministry of external affairs in India as well to liberate tourist visas from being charged. I am not sure of the legality of sending suggestions in Thailand. But I am working on it. jeab1980, I do not mean to put all in the same boat, I just want us all to be free. 

OP have you ever been to Thailand? Just asking because if you have you would know your idea is a waste of time i'm sorry to say

On the plus side Government departments are always short on paper and the staff like to write on the back of printed sheets so go ahead

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, darrendsd said:

OP have you ever been to Thailand? Just asking because if you have you would know your idea is a waste of time i'm sorry to say

On the plus side Government departments are always short on paper and the staff like to write on the back of printed sheets so go ahead

I have been to Thailand many times as a tourist over the last ten years. My sister is getting married to a Thai national later this month. I know my idea is a waste of time per se but I would like to do it for my satisfaction. If you dont like my idea please kindly let me know why. I am going to come to Thailand with stickers in support of my little cause etc. Seriously, do you mind?:sorry:

• Like 1

"I want to know who controls visa policy in Thailand. And who I can write to if I want to suggest changes in visa policy/policies"

"I am not sure of the legality of sending suggestions in Thailand. But I am working on it"

"Tourist visas must be made free for everybody"

"Abolish visa runs"

"I would like to volunteer and send suggestions on your behalf. Visitors please leave your suggestions here. I am visiting Thailand in a month or so. I will give them a printed list of suggestions in person if somebody would kindly give me an address"

"I do not understand the rationale behind created a list of visa-exempt countries and not including India in it"

i've read some funny stuff on this forum Aditi, but yours has made me laugh the most by far. Thank you x 55555555555

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

"I want to know who controls visa policy in Thailand. And who I can write to if I want to suggest changes in visa policy/policies"

"I am not sure of the legality of sending suggestions in Thailand. But I am working on it"

"Tourist visas must be made free for everybody"

"Abolish visa runs"

"I would like to volunteer and send suggestions on your behalf. Visitors please leave your suggestions here. I am visiting Thailand in a month or so. I will give them a printed list of suggestions in person if somebody would kindly give me an address"

"I do not understand the rationale behind created a list of visa-exempt countries and not including India in it"

i've read some funny stuff on this forum Aditi, but yours has made me laugh the most by far. Thank you x 55555555555

You're welcome! :smile:

REWARD POINTS FOR EVERY VISA EXTENSION. 

After accumulating a certain number of points, they can be utilized for purchasing merchandise from Immigration like Thai Immigration mugs, tshirts, pens, caps etc. 

try this dude, not sure if you can just show up or not but might be worth a try seeing as you'll be in thailand. General Prayut (you can call him Uncle), Government House, Thanon Nakhon Pathom, BKK, 1030

Let me know how you get on won't you, good luck

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I commend your efforts and optimism, Aditi. Better to try and maybe fail than to never try at all. 

I would like to see the abolition of 90 day reporting for those with a retirement extension on their visa.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, champers said:

I commend your efforts and optimism, Aditi. Better to try and maybe fail than to never try at all. 

I would like to see the abolition of 90 day reporting for those with a retirement extension on their visa.

I have created an Excel sheet and I will include your request: Abolition of 90 day reporting for those with a retirement extension on their visa.

Thy will be done, like in Heaven, so in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

REWARD POINTS FOR EVERY VISA EXTENSION. 

After accumulating a certain number of points, they can be utilized for purchasing merchandise from Immigration like Thai Immigration mugs, tshirts, pens, caps etc. 

no badges?

• Haha 1

If you ever live here Aditi you'll find that if you're not Thai your opinion is of no consequence to the hierarchy.

If you are Thai, your opinion is not considered unless "connected".

Learn that and live with it no matter how high an opinion you may have of yourself.

Otherwise stressing about things you can't ever change will kill you.

Indians are not well regarded by the Thais due to past behaviour and a tendency to ignore the Rules.

That is purely an observation over 10 years and not a racist comment.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

If you ever live here Aditi you'll find that if you're not Thai your opinion is of no consequence to the hierarchy.

If you are Thai, your opinion is not considered unless "connected".

Learn that and live with it no matter how high an opinion you may have of yourself.

Otherwise stressing about things you can't ever change will kill you.

Indians are not well regarded by the Thais due to past behaviour and a tendency to ignore the Rules.

That is purely an observation over 10 years and not a racist comment.

I am doing this for us. I dont know whether I have a high opinion about myself, having lost the ability to think on those lines having dedicated the better half of my life to whatever constitutes public good in Mumbai. I am meaning to live in Thailand if the job comes about only after my sister decided to marry the love of her life and settle down there. 

Indians may not be well-regarded by the Thais because of their bad behaviour, well serves them well, you are not racist.

I take your suggestion that I would be barking up the wrong tree but lets see what I can do. I will be heard for sure.

AUTOMATICALLY QUALIFIED FOR THAI CITZENSHIP WITHOUT INTERVIEW TO ANYBODY MARRYING THAI NATIONAL. 

CONFIRMATION OF CITIZENSHIP ONLY WHEN YOU RENOUNCE YOUR EXISTING CITIZENSHIP WITHIN 30 DAYS OTHERWISE THE AUTOMATIC QUALIFICATION LAPSES.

This, strictly speaking, does not come under visa policy. But will include it if there arent any strong objections to it here.

Edited by Aditi Sharma
EDIT

CREATION OF A FREE THAI FRIENDSHIP CIRCLE.

The Thai Friendship Circle to comprise the countries that are used for visa runs, ie, Myanmar Laos Vietnam Cambodia and Malaysia

Tourist visa -free, of course, acquired in any of the countries of Thailand Myanmar Laos Vietnam Cambodia and Malaysia entitles you to free movement in the circle for the period of 30 days.  You can opt for the 1st extension costing 50 dollars, 2nd extension costing 100 dollars and so on in any country. The country where you do the extension gets to keep the money. 

Edited by Aditi Sharma
edit.

1 hour ago, Aditi Sharma said:

I want to know who controls visa policy in Thailand. And who I can write to if I want to suggest changes in visa policy/policies.

As a non-Thai world citizen do I have a right to suggest changes in the first place? I want to know if thaivisa.com has created a wish-list of changes which visitors and expats have suggested over the years in these fora.

A laundry-list of changes can be regularly sent to the right department which invites suggestions on policy so that they can be understood and the best ones implemented.

A non-Thai writing to the government with suggestions? You've got to be kidding right?  Oh, no, you do not have a RIGHT to do anything in a country you're not a citizen of. 

Just now, Global Guy said:

A non-Thai writing to the government with suggestions? You've got to be kidding right?  Oh, no, you do not have a RIGHT to do anything in a country you're not a citizen of. 

I am not kidding. Is that your opinion or are you saying it legally?