Questions about getting old in Thailand.... personal things

ghworker2010

On 10/2/2017 at 3:47 PM, ghworker2010 said:

Im fast approaching middle age and finding that Im not sleeping very well here in Thailand. I often wake up in the wee hours and can't stop thinking about things. I can't get back to sleep.

A lot of the respected members on this forum are in their 60s and 70s and thus I would like to know how many hours per night on average do you get?

I feel my level of happiness is also slowly going down as I get older. Im getting angry all the time at little things. Is this normal when you get older. I read about a guy on this forum that has a mantra that he says to himself everytime he gets angry:  'I need to lower my expectations'.   'I need to lower my expectations'  'I need to lower my expectations'

I now say that to myself as soon as I get the shits about something.

Finally, what about your libido? From 50 onwards do you find yourself less interested? 

If you have not done so, I suggest you visit a hospital for a full health checkup, They might find tings that cause the issues you are experiencing. It might be low on hormones, Diabetes, lack of some vitamins etc... Its worth the money,

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i am 66yrs old, only recently started living in pattaya permanently...i always have to get up 3-4 times per night to urinate {even when not drinking}..

i mostly sleep well, because i have no stress,no financial worries, no wife problems and good health.

i have always been "over-sexed" but find i am not so good now--thats a problem, especially with  my latest, extremely sexy 40yr old friend.

i am definitely much calmer in thailand,no business pressure,staff/tenant problems, as i had almost daily for past 40yrs +.

the the culture is good to help "hyper" people calm down---relax.

i think too many oldies dont prepare themselves for retirement/oldage...

i do exactly as i wish, when ever i wish...

i think many retirees create problems for themselves by getting too involved with thai women----for me--if i tire of them,just move on, can get another within a day or so, or even a rented one is good fun,no complications-no boredom---we also need mental stimulation--that is seldom found in thai women.

Just to give ALL of you a little help on sleeping. Try putting on socks BEFORE you go to sleep. It will help your blood circulation and help you to have a more restful sleep. When your feet are cold, your blood slows down and makes it harder for your body to try and push your blood around.

So sorry I did not keep the link to the study on that but it has helped me and my wife.

I don't know, it helped me and my wife. UP TO YOU TO TRY

1 hour ago, SnakeBite said:

Just to give ALL of you a little help on sleeping. Try putting on socks BEFORE you go to sleep. It will help your blood circulation and help you to have a more restful sleep. When your feet are cold, your blood slows down and makes it harder for your body to try and push your blood around.

So sorry I did not keep the link to the study on that but it has helped me and my wife.

I don't know, it helped me and my wife. UP TO YOU TO TRY

We're in Thailand, not Canada. I want to keep cool at night, not be sweating.

I'm nearly 72 (Christmas,) been married to a Thai girl since 2011, 6 years almost to the day.  She is 38yrs younger than I, quite lovely, perfect slim body, flawless skin, pretty good about money, but has gone off sex as she has always found it painful. That annoys because I'd love more sex not less. We both get grumpy, somehow we keep it together.

Like others I sleep about 8-9 hrs, get up 3 or 4 times to pee. 

Libido - when I was 14 yrs old I loved any girl with developing breasts, good skin, nice legs. Now I'm the age I am nothing has changed except I no longer get 13 yr old girlfriends 'cos I'm not 14 any more. The upper age limit has moved up now to 50's if they are slim and pretty with good skin - don't like fat girls. I always joke I'd chase 13 yr olds but can never catch one, all I could catch would be the fat old slow ones that I don't want.

Mind you 72, balding, fat belly, lost most of my teeth - I'm no catch anymore myself!

However, I don't try to mess about, I'm married and it is good with her. I can mostly cope with no sex, we can play to satisfy if necessary which it sometimes is when urges must be satisfied.

I used to suffer from chronic back pain - no longer since my church in the UK had me up the front and prayed for me. Since then no more trapped nerves, sciatica, slipped discs whatever, I'm a believer in JC you bet.

Now stiff and aching knees is all I get,  from long term arthritis.

By reading the posts here, I noticed, that most cope quite well with the "aging process". Unfortunately, I am not one of them. I find this "aging-business" unpleasant (slight understatement).

- There are just too many things I can't do anymore physically. Physical strenght diminishing year by year. Hard for me to accept after having lived a very active life. Feel like sitting in a waiting room, waiting for the last train to nowhere.

Or ending up at the "pearly-gates", me fearing that St. Peter is a Thai, finding "something wrong" with my visa, refusing entry, sending me back to Pattaya for further punishement.

- Ah well, at the end of the day, it's a personal thing. To some the glass is half full, to me the glass is half empty.:sorry:
Cheers.

12 hours ago, cliveshep said:

I'm nearly 72 (Christmas,) been married to a Thai girl since 2011, 6 years almost to the day.  She is 38yrs younger than I, quite lovely, perfect slim body, flawless skin, pretty good about money, but has gone off sex as she has always found it painful. That annoys because I'd love more sex not less. We both get grumpy, somehow we keep it together.

Ever heard of KY?  A 34 yo Thai woman who doesn't like sex - not a good sign.

Perhaps a medical consultation ( female doctor ) would help in finding out why it is painful. It shouldn't be.

Edited by bazza73
Medical

On 10/5/2017 at 3:56 PM, how241 said:

Good thread, interesting reading.

I agree, its been a good thread to read. I don't feel as bad now when Im awake at 5am and tossing and turning. It seems normal as it happens to everyone sometimes. 

Its been interesting reading other opinions and gives insight. 

72 no booze, high blood pressure pills, sex once or twice a day, sleep 7 hours a night and 1 or 2 hour nap.  Cook my own food. Wife works all day and I'm alone with the dogs most of the time.  Dogs good friends.  Wife decent companion.  Few things make me angry.  I came to Thailand to get away from things in the West that made me angry and I have.  Since I have no illegal habits I can say and do what I want here.  West - I got in trouble every time I opened my mouth.  One day ten years ago I got in an argument with a song tau driver and I realized I had to change my life and I have.  Most don't believe it but there are actually people who argue with menials or mentally challenged people - no wonder some don't sleep. 

On 10/4/2017 at 10:14 PM, swissie said:

By reading the posts here, I noticed, that most cope quite well with the "aging process". Unfortunately, I am not one of them. I find this "aging-business" unpleasant (slight understatement).

- There are just too many things I can't do anymore physically. Physical strenght diminishing year by year. Hard for me to accept after having lived a very active life. Feel like sitting in a waiting room, waiting for the last train to nowhere.

Or ending up at the "pearly-gates", me fearing that St. Peter is a Thai, finding "something wrong" with my visa, refusing entry, sending me back to Pattaya for further punishement.

- Ah well, at the end of the day, it's a personal thing. To some the glass is half full, to me the glass is half empty.:sorry:
Cheers.

In Pattaya you may find the glass smashed in your face....be careful.

1 hour ago, amvet said:

72 no booze, high blood pressure pills, sex once or twice a day, sleep 7 hours a night and 1 or 2 hour nap.  Cook my own food. Wife works all day and I'm alone with the dogs most of the time.  Dogs good friends.  Wife decent companion.  Few things make me angry.  I came to Thailand to get away from things in the West that made me angry and I have.  Since I have no illegal habits I can say and do what I want here.  West - I got in trouble every time I opened my mouth.  One day ten years ago I got in an argument with a song tau driver and I realized I had to change my life and I have.  Most don't believe it but there are actually people who argue with menials or mentally challenged people - no wonder some don't sleep. 

Menials???   Really? No wonder you have high blood pressure if that is what you think of people.

19 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Menials???   Really? No wonder you have high blood pressure if that is what you think of people.

Why would one get upset at serving people, song tau drivers, maids and so on?  Get upset at important people like judges or governors or Presidents or brain surgeons but let the little people go on about their lives and don't fret about them. I don't have high blood pressure because I take the medication.  My blood pressure is related to a combat disability.  I'm a disabled veteran. 

I've seen people yell at song tau drivers or waitresses and get red in the face and look like they were going to bust.  My gad what for.  There are more important things to have a heart attack over than a 10 baht song tau fare or a 20 baht noodle dish.  Don't you think? 

Edited by amvet

4 minutes ago, amvet said:

Why would one get upset at serving people, song tau drivers, maids and so on?  Get upset at important people like judges or governors or Presidents or brain surgeons but let the little people go on about their lives and don't fret about them. I don't have high blood pressure because I take the medication.  My blood pressure is related to a combat disability.  I'm a disabled veteran. 

I've seen people yell at song tau drivers or waitresses and get red in the face and look like they were going to bust.  My gad what for.  There are more important things to have a heart attack over than a 10 baht song tau fare or a 20 baht noodle dish.  Don't you think? 

Yes I do..and I get upset when other people look down on people doing their job.

None of us that important in the overall scheme of things. No matter what inflated view of ourselves we may have.

2 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Yes I do..and I get upset when other people look down on people doing their job.

None of us that important in the overall scheme of things. No matter what inflated view of ourselves we may have.

You are making up things I didn't say because you don't like me.  Because I don't get upset at serving people or maids does not mean I look down on them.  It means I don't get upset at service people.  I know people who yell at waitresses and song tau drivers and by and large they are idiots. 

3 minutes ago, amvet said:

You are making up things I didn't say because you don't like me.  Because I don't get upset at serving people or maids does not mean I look down on them.  It means I don't get upset at service people.  I know people who yell at waitresses and song tau drivers and by and large they are idiots. 

Nothing to with liking a poster. I will challenge the post where I disagree....but never the poster.

I agree with this particular post...perhaps I misinterpreted your previous post...if that is the case I apologise unreservedly.

Edited by tryasimight

8 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Nothing to with liking a poster. I will challenge the post where I disagree....but never the poster.

I agree with this particular post...perhaps I misinterpreted your previous post...if that is the case I apologise unreservedly.

Years ago I yelled at a bus driver and he got out of the bus and chased me down the street with a machete.  I was faster than he was but the dispute was over 10 baht.  Can you imagine?  I almost got killed for 10 baht.  At that time I re evaluated my life. 

On 02/10/2017 at 8:17 PM, ghworker2010 said:

what happened on the plane? Please share

I'd been drinking in the lounge then a shed load of Champagne & water on the plane & was bursting for a pee...

Pilot goes into land & then circled for another 20 minutes so I was cross legged & eyed by the time we landed, I'm sat in row 2, I asked the guy in front of me 3 times "Excuse me" ... well the 4th time was when I said "when I said Excuse me, it meant get out of my fcking way"

Apparently the guy was Austrian/German, something like that and told me that I needed to "Correct My English"... I then profanely pointed out to him that I was English & needed to correct nothing...

Total Idiot behaviour by me & I'm not proud of it... but that's what being irrate, too little sleep & far too much drinking does to you...

[Oh & the full story is I managed to get to Swampy 2 hours before I planned (mistook a 14:00something flight for a 4pm something flight!) so  got hammered in the lounge, lost my luggage 3 times and had to run for the gate because I suddenly realised I was sat outside the gate my SG-BKK flight left from... looking at the outbound ticket!!!]

As I said, completely stupid, I just lost it that day :( 

Lesson learned 

Edited by LostinSEA

On 10/2/2017 at 7:10 PM, sinbin said:

You are suffering from anxiety/depression. I suggest a visit to a Psychiatrist and get help. Seriously. Been there done that.

An interesting topic and perhaps topical in that we have a recent public spectacle of an older chap losing it in a car/traffic event.

It may be that counselling might help but, you have reached out and so far the replies have all been constructive. Which is help in a true sense as we all have to deal with the issue.

Think the path we all take may reasonably expected to differ but not greatly. If you do not have serious underlying health issues, would recommend exercise/gym which will offer connection with like minded people, setting a rest time each night and avoiding depressing movies/TV, diet is another consideration together with eating times. Sleep patterns for older males can be intruded on by the 'dreaded' BPH - this you can google for a fuller explanation.

Good luck

Clonazepam - Clonaril 1.0 mg.jpg

Clonazepam - Clonaril 1 or 2mg. Equivalent to Zolpidem in the US. A Benzodiazepine, not Antihistamine, or Narcotic. I take 1mg. most every night. It is available in Thailand but I had to wait for my doctor to make an order. Doctor prescribed only. Pharmacies tell me, sorry doctor order only. GOOGLE for usage, etc... My doctor now prescribes it for some of his other patients. Cost me 100 baht for a ten pack.

Caution, may be addictive. Yet I have found no ill effects from Zolpidem or Clonaril over the past 10 years. I can start or stop with no adverse effects regardless of the number of days I have or have not taken it. Of course the normal alcohol warnings apply but I consume no alcohol. Do not eat anything 1-2 hours before or after taking it as cautioned (does not work as well or not at all). 20 minutes before going to bed works good for me. I read a few pages in a book, feel the medication, and goodnight. I sometimes get up once or twice to pee with no problem and then fall right back to sleep. A little drowsiness in the morning at first startup but now no problem when I wake up whatsoever. A cup or two of black coffee as my usual routine and I'm good to go. Twice I was woken up in the middle of the night and had to take a relative to the hospital. Some black coffee and I had no problem driving. Back from the hospital and I was back to sleep.

I imagine different people, different experiences.

I have refrained from posting on TVF but with this exception, maybe this medication will work for you as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

age soon 74, enjoyed 28 years of retirement, hope more to come. afternoon nap 1½ hours, uninterrupted sleep at night 5 hours, libido strong as ever, no need for blue or yellow pills (wife complains, mia noi and two giks are very happy***).

***err... sometimes i like to bullshit people :crazy:

Edited by Naam

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

–about sleeping 5 hours at night, right..?:whistling:

no BS! i have sometimes problems to fall asleep and big problems at full moon or one day before full moon but otherwise 4-5 hours sound asleep without interruptions except when a young lady wants to go for a pee in the garden at 0400 hours and and nudges me with her cold nose.