Bus driver fined and suspended from duty for using smartphone while driving

webfact

Bus driver fined and suspended from duty for using smartphone while driving

By Thai PBS

02100151.jpg

A public bus driver was fined 5,000 baht and suspend from driving for 30 days for using his smartphone while driving by Khon Kaen transport office.

The operator of the bus service was also fined 10,000 baht for not abiding public safety.

The image of the bus driver using his smartphone behind the wheels which was taken by one of the passengers and posted on the social media attracted a lot of criticism against the conduct of the driver whose identity was not disclosed.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bus-driver-fined-suspended-duty-using-smartphone-driving/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-03

Damned Stupid Phones are apparently more addictive than yaba.

I refuse to own one. I have the stupidest phone I can find. I check email etc on my 32" TV/full sized computer monitor.

I use my phone for...wait for it...(*GASP*) TALKING to people, and NOT while I'm driving! I can always call them back.

Some folks act like somebody just lit a stick of dynamite in their pocket when their phone rings...GOTTA ANSWER THAT NOW! Idiots.

========

They should fine the driver 50,000 baht and his company twice that, and suspend his license for 6 months.

Edited by jaywalker

Just now, canuckamuck said:

Good job to the whistle blower. I don't like a grass, but this is putting people in danger.

It's a wonder the driver didn't see the whistle blower, pull over and whip out a machete.

My initial thought was to shoot photographs of Thais and their phones. I had never seen a collection before and it would be unique to Thailand. Great project.

Stupid idea. Every Tom, Dick and Somchai has a phone. Thais and guests all seem to have phones. Everywhere. A lot. Try taking a random shot of a group of Thais and not see a phone in the pic, somewhere. Now this will be a great project...

mc phone.JPG

Why only pick on this driver ? it seems to be common practice to a lot of coach, mini bus drivers ! It appears the Smart phone is doing all the work for a dumb world of phone zombies where you have to avoid pedestrians texting, motor scooter drivers one handed operation, repeat yourself 3 times in a conversation or remind some to eat their meal or any other activity !

9 minutes ago, djayz said:

The best story I've read in a long time! 

If more passengers did this, bus drivers would very quickly put their phones away. 

Last week i drove my motobike in Chinatown when a big bus cut me off very rude...i drove to his window and saw him on the phone..i shaked my had while having my hand like being on the phone but he only laughed...

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

Last week i drove my motobike in Chinatown when a big bus cut me off very rude...i drove to his window and saw him on the phone..i shaked my had while having my hand like being on the phone but he only laughed...

What a pity you didn't/couldn't video him using a phone while driving... 

Edited by djayz

17 minutes ago, djayz said:

If more passengers did this, bus drivers would very quickly put their phones away. 

The only policing in this country is sadly by social media. 

What to the RTP do all day? Maybe some videos would provide some insight?

Tour bus driver on the phone gets 5,000 baht fine

1pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

A tour bus driver caught chatting on his phone while driving in the north east of Thailand has been fined 5,000 baht.

The bus company has been hit with a 10,000 baht fine.

Manoon Phutbuadong, 54, was photographed last week by a passenger during the Roi-Et to Udon Thani run.

The pictures were posted online causing widespread consternation.

Yesterday the Khon Kaen Department of Land Transport called him in along with the owners of the bus - Khon Kaen Chai Chana Khon Song.

The driver admitted it was him in the pictures. He had received a call from a friend and chatted for "two or three minutes".

The company owner Pheerapong Ananthanasakun was fined 10,000 baht.

Passengers can call 1584 to report such infractions.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-03

Professional drivers / service industry , all drivers know , that there are many devices out there that   allow you to drive hands free, 

One driver in 30 million will not make a dent in this continued bad unsafe practice, 

enforcement of the law, 

1 hour ago, inThailand said:

The only policing in this country is sadly by social media. 

What to the RTP do all day? Maybe some videos would provide some insight?

They collect money and you would think they would be more interested in nabbing phone users as they get to keep 45% of all the fines for themselves but hey; it's easier to just stand in the road and get people who are not wearing helmets, which provides enough weekly income without having to work hard !

4 hours ago, jaywalker said:

I refuse to own one. I have the stupidest phone I can find. I check email etc on my 32" TV/full sized computer monitor.

I use my phone for...wait for it...(*GASP*) TALKING to people, and NOT while I'm driving! I can always call them back.

Some folks act like somebody just lit a stick of dynamite in their pocket when their phone rings...GOTTA ANSWER THAT NOW! Idiots.

========

They should fine the driver 50,000 baht and his company twice that, and suspend his license for 6 months.

My wife uses LINE on her phone to contact her friends and family, and when we've had to contact our local internet engineer he only responds to LINE messages. It seems now that actually using a phone to make a call never crosses their mind.

5 hours ago, jaywalker said:

========

To defend himself he may use an 'official' statement from high up:

In December 2012, one of the senior officials in the Ministry of Transport officially made the following remark: "Thais have different brains than other people. We are quite capable of talking and writing text messages while driving in cars and on motorcycles. "The expert added: "A helmet requirement for Thais is really not necessary, because unlike other people they have a thicker skull to protect them from injuries!"

I think in some cases the skull is so thick, it leaves no room for a brain…

I was on a bus from BKK to Sara Buri, and the driver was using his tablet on the steering wheel. I mentioned this to my wife and took pics of the driver. When the conductor came by my wife told him that the farang was not happy with the driver and what he was doing. He went back and told him and he put the tablet away. If he hadn't I was going to report him. I take the bus because they are safer than the minivans, so I don't need a brain dead driver putting me and others in danger. If everybody took responsibility and spoke up, we could end these fools from not using their brains.

Which is why 99% of Thai drivers insist on heavily tinted windows.  I recently purchased an SUV and when I told the sales staff I didn't want tinted windows they couldn't  believe it.  I can see all around, the vehicle behind me can see the car in front of me and other drivers can see my 'thank you' wave when they  give way to me....... which is a rarity !!! 

7 minutes ago, Humpy said:

Which is why 99% of Thai drivers insist on heavily tinted windows.  I recently purchased an SUV and when I told the sales staff I didn't want tinted windows they couldn't  believe it.  I can see all around, the vehicle behind me can see the car in front of me and other drivers can see my 'thank you' wave when they  give way to me....... which is a rarity !!! 

The culturally correct thing to do is lower the head to show thanks.

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My wife uses LINE on her phone to contact her friends and family, and when we've had to contact our local internet engineer he only responds to LINE messages. It seems now that actually using a phone to make a call never crosses their mind.

They never figured out smoke signals and now they have instant yap.

Smoke.png

5 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

5,000 Baht fine hey? What about the Thai drivers who drive through a red light? That is bloody dangerous  Guess you need police to book them ? Fat chance that happening

Of course. The only time the BiB will be awake is when the lights are actually changing.

22 hours ago, djayz said:

Being publicly ridiculed is the only thing they understand.  So pillorying them on social media is going to be MUCH more effective than law enforcement will ever be.  This episode is a prime example (although they won't be too quick to pick up on what cellphones mean to their continued misbehaving).