Trump tells Thailand to buy more from US

webfact

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 03/10/2017 at 11:29 AM, farq said:

United States President Donald Trump told Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha that Thailand should buy more American products to reduce the trade imbalance.

Who does that psychopath Trump think he is?! Trying to dictate to OUR dictator what he should be doing?!

The trade imbalance is the ridiculous import tax 

Why is it exactly that there's plenty of money for tanks, jets, destroyers, submarines and now even Blackhawk attack helicopters, and they all seem to get purchased for the most part without too much problem.

But at the same time, there doesn't seem to be enough money to arrange for a garbage collection and disposal system for Koh Larn, or a sewage treatment and stormwater handling system and plant(s) for Pattaya, or many of the supposed flood prevention projects that were supposed to get done, and the list goes on and on -- all failures at the essential services that government is supposed to provide...

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Why is it exactly that there's plenty of money for tanks, jets, destroyers, submarines and now even Blackhawk attack helicopters, and they all seem to get purchased for the most part without too much problem.

But at the same time, there doesn't seem to be enough money to arrange for a garbage collection and disposal system for Koh Larn, or a sewage treatment and stormwater handling system and plant(s) for Pattaya, or many of the supposed flood prevention projects that were supposed to get done, and the list goes on and on -- all failures at the essential services that government is supposed to provide...

The armed forces have to be able to defend the country. That is the highest priority for the generals.

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But at the same time, there doesn't seem to be enough money to arrange for a garbage collection and disposal system for Koh Larn, or a sewage treatment and stormwater handling system and plant(s) for Pattaya,

Because the people who buy this geer, manage, and operate this geer don't live in those places. Shit, you will have Russian oil rigs off Pattaya in the near future.

On 10/5/2017 at 5:52 AM, Essaybloke said:

ha ha just south of Mexico, I think.

Mexico is a great trading partner with the US $25+B in drugs every year. No Visa runs, no stink'en paper work, no pay offs, no 90 day check-ins, no yearly income verification, just cross the border, and free education and healthcare, and make demands for more. Bet your ass, Thai's wished they bordered the US.

On 03/10/2017 at 6:33 PM, neeray said:

OMG ! Your post is hilarious. I'm not American (thank God) but I live in their neighbouring country to the north. "Junk cars, crap white goods, food is toxic, weapons are rubbish"! What illegal substance are you on? Why such a hard-on for America? These are ridiculously wild statements. When many of us North Americans spend are hard earned dollars on goods, we generally look at where it is made and choose mainland manufactured goods first over off-shore imports ..... not because of patriotism but rather because we do prefer quality over cheap, throwaway imports. As for "weapons are rubbish" as compared to Chinese, I guess we won't really know who has the better product until China and America have a go at each other.

Rare is the occasion when I defend America. But when somebody spews crap like you just did, I feel compelled to do so. Thanks for the lop sided opinion. I was just falling asleep (way to early) but you jolted me awake with your pure crap. I'm curious to know your home country, please tell.

Maybe we can hear from some Americans now. Guys !

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

The wife is always ordering what she can from Amazon especially stuff for the kids. Being a somewhat wordy person (excepting the lakhorn watching) she is very concerned about items made in China. As an American I'll admit that the regulations aren't as strict as the EU but product safety is a lot better than Asia.

RE the weapons just look at the service life. The M2 has been in use since 1933. The M1911/M45 is 106 years old. The M16 was introduced in 1964. Etc. Early teething problems aside on some of those weapons the have proved to be a decisive component of the engagements. Granted the supply chain and ability to muster a large contingent of soldiers also has played a role, but with the exception of the Syrian 'freedom fighters' which were left hanging I can not recall anytime that the side with the US weapons weren't victorious when facing off against Russian/Chinese weapons. I think the Afghanistan war against the USSR is the biggest example of that. One could also point to the 6 Day War and Yom Kipper war as other examples.

On 10/3/2017 at 11:29 AM, farq said:

United States President Donald Trump told Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha that Thailand should buy more American products to reduce the trade imbalance.

Who does that psychopath Trump think he is?! Trying to dictate to OUR dictator what he should be doing?!

His a elected dictator so he has more clout. He will soon learn that the Thai army won't part with cash. There's to many generals. There coming up from the coffins for any positions  possible. No experience required. Just a will to earn.

Edited by Media1

3 hours ago, jerojero said:

Very rude. But Trump doesn't give a shit about anybody except himself.

Not rude, he doesn't give a shit about Thailand. Get real, the US spent billions, built all your major airports and highways, and grafted more billions to your military caste system during the Vietnam War to cover generations of college education and condo developments. By the way, I don't hear much gratitude towards your countryman who fought in that war. Get over yourself, the Vietnam of today is of much more importantance and US investment to Trump and the US. We don't need your ingratitude. Go buy Russian technology or 'industrial safety'. Even Russian magnates don't fly in Russian private jets. And, continue with your submission to the Chinese merchant class.

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:30 PM, Jonah Tenner said:

The armed forces have to be able to defend the country. That is the highest priority for the generals.

. . . pray tell me, sir . . . Exactly how do you see the generals doing that, without budget-busting spending? Both army and air force look pretty thread-bare to me.

On 10/4/2017 at 8:00 AM, jgarbo said:

If America made anything useful, maybe. Their cars are junk, white goods are crap, food is toxic, even their "great" weapons are rubbish. Who would buy from a junk dealer? China makes more sense. Cheap and practical. Fastest computers, most patents, fastest trains, quantum communications. That's where a smart person spends the money. 

Yea, really smart to import Chinese goods and manufacturing methods. Tofu bridges, tofu buildings, ghost cities, government owned businesses. Sure way to success.

On 10/4/2017 at 8:43 AM, habanero said:

How about some weatern size clothes? Especially shirts. The rest would be too expensive after taxes.

Would settle for western sized bathroom slippers and shoes. I can fit into the shirts.

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:02 PM, observer90210 said:

Looks that some more purchase orders for SIG's would be on the way !!

OK . . . I give up . . . give us a clue . . . what does SIG mean? It could stand for Special Interest Groups (no, don't think so) or School Improvement Grant (much needed, I'm sure, but not of the Donald sort) or Service Interval Guide. Yes, that's it . . . when's Thailand's next service due? Let's hope DT's made a note in his SIG.

7 minutes ago, Ossy said:

OK . . . I give up . . . give us a clue . . . what does SIG mean? It could stand for Special Interest Groups (no, don't think so) or School Improvement Grant (much needed, I'm sure, but not of the Donald sort) or Service Interval Guide. Yes, that's it . . . when's Thailand's next service due? Let's hope DT's made a note in his SIG.

Obviously you did not follow the SIG firearms purchase deal by the RTP (RTP is an abbreviation for Royal Thai Police)....for the full wording of SIG, I'll invite you to google SIG firearms and you will get the full name in german.  Glad to have helped you out to understand.

Edited by observer90210

9 hours ago, Ossy said:

. . . pray tell me, sir . . . Exactly how do you see the generals doing that, without budget-busting spending? Both army and air force look pretty thread-bare to me.

You have to take into consideration who they have to defend the country against.

I see no external enemies...

8 hours ago, Jonah Tenner said:

You have to take into consideration who they have to defend the country against.

I see no external enemies...

Me, too. That's what makes the 3-sub purchase look so ridiculous. If these twerps could only see beyond their next coffee break or a potentially cool-sounding media bite, much of the mega-spending on their watch could have been avoided, in my view, anyway.

17 hours ago, Ossy said:

OK . . . I give up . . . give us a clue . . . what does SIG mean?

Sig is short for Sig Sauer  https://www.sigsauer.com/

13 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Me, too. That's what makes the 3-sub purchase look so ridiculous.

I heard Prayut has an idea to do away with the lottery

Instead he plans to use the three subs to hold submarine races that Thai folks can bet on instead of the lottery

Two races per month :smile:

Edited by mania

3 minutes ago, mania said:

Sig is short for Sig Sauer  https://www.sigsauer.com/

I heard Prayut has an idea to do away with the lottery

Instead he plans to use the three subs to hold submarine races that Thai folks can bet on instead of the lottery

Two races per month :smile:

It could work, providing their drivers captains take a 'proper' driving test, otherwise the entire Thai coastline entire world will be at risk. And who's gonna decide the race dates for those difficult 31-day months? And the races, this month, will take place on the 1st and the 16 1/2th October, off Pattaya beach . . . all being well.

The US can encourage Thailand to import all it wants from the US but unless Thailand does  something about their outrageous import duties,  no one will buy,  so there will be nothing to import

Thailand lives on import duties, import duties in the US are negligible so are minimally enforced 

In all these years here at Thai Visa I have never read a report from members getting nicked for outrageous duties in the US from FEDEX, UPS, DHL, etc.

16 hours ago, Ossy said:

Me, too. That's what makes the 3-sub purchase look so ridiculous. If these twerps could only see beyond their next coffee break or a potentially cool-sounding media bite, much of the mega-spending on their watch could have been avoided, in my view, anyway.

Get away vehicles