What caues so many ExPats to totally embelish (brag) about their past?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, JCauto said:

I'd have a go at the hard drive restoration companies if it was something like that, which could otherwise be lost forever. You might lose a hundred bucks or so, but if it works out, you've regained priceless memories.

I did that last year working online through one guy who managed to get some bits recovered from my external HDD but couldn't get the internal one to fire up. 

He put me on to a guy down in Phuket who has a business repairing stuff liked that and he couldn't manage to get it working either.

He then put me on to Seagate who said that they might be able to recover the data but offered no guarantee that they could get the data out, and all I had to do was send the HDD to Holland along with around 20,000 baht .

At that point I gave up.

A new WD 2T HDD is only 2,xxx thb.

If somebody claims that they were ex military just ask them for their full service number.

If they hesitate or stumble over it, they are bull sh1tters.

I remember mine from January 29th 1960 when I joined the RAF as a Boy Entrant.

16 hours ago, OmarZaid said:

I think it is done out of fear ... of being insignificant, worthless and meaningless , of being and dying alone , a stranger in a strange land . . .

Excuse me sir... But I resemble that remark....:sad:

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

I found the opposite to be the case.  On the occasional visit back to Blighty I would run in to old acquaintances and be asked "So, how is Thailand?"  I would delight in telling (100% true) tales of various events only to see within seconds a look of total disbelief.  I don't bother anymore as most of the tales are simply (a) impossible to have been fabricated with my limited imagination, and (b) sound like total BS.

They are only pretending they don't believe you, they are just jealous really !

35 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I did that last year working online through one guy who managed to get some bits recovered from my external HDD but couldn't get the internal one to fire up. 

He put me on to a guy down in Phuket who has a business repairing stuff liked that and he couldn't manage to get it working either.

He then put me on to Seagate who said that they might be able to recover the data but offered no guarantee that they could get the data out, and all I had to do was send the HDD to Holland along with around 20,000 baht .

At that point I gave up.

A new WD 2T HDD is only 2,xxx thb.

100 GB of Google Drive storage is only 70 baht a month or 700 THB a year if you prepay.

1 TB runs 350 a month or 3500 a year.

Having a cloud based backup of your important documents and pictures is a great safeguard against local HDD failure.

When you move to a new country, much of your social status is stripped from you. Your education, work history, social status back home are not immediately apparent. This can cause insecurity, and some try to compensate by overstating their prior life accomplishments.

55 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If somebody claims that they were ex military just ask them for their full service number.

If they hesitate or stumble over it, they are bull sh1tters.

I remember mine from January 29th 1960 when I joined the RAF as a Boy Entrant.

I get money from the Army so I have the number on file but really I don't remember mine.  It's 54 something.  They tell me Einstein didn't remember his phone number maybe.......

29 minutes ago, seancbk said:

100 GB of Google Drive storage is only 70 baht a month or 700 THB a year if you prepay.

Having a cloud based backup of your important documents and pictures is a great safeguard against local HDD failure.

I had to restore mine last night.  I use AOMEI backupper and AOMEI Onekey recovery.  The Onekey is on a SSD so that's real quick. The others are on USB 3.0 My phone is 3.0 too but that never seemed to catch on with phones.

I break one of my computers at least every week because I'm always trying new equipment or programs.  

42 minutes ago, seancbk said:

That was the first time I have ever had a HDD failure and since then I have a couple of 1 and 2 Tb external HDDs and religiously back up my desktop first thing every Friday.

I have about 1.5 Tb of stuff on my desktopwhich means I would probably be looking at about 700 baht a month or a new external 2Tb HDD every 3 or 4 months.

And if the data is on my external HDD rather than on a Cloud somewhere nobody can get to it unless it is plugged in.

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

That was the first time I have ever had a HDD failure and since then I have a couple of 1 and 2 Tb external HDDs and religiously back up my desktop first thing every Friday.

I have about 1.5 Tb of stuff on my desktopwhich means I would probably be looking at about 700 baht a month or a new external 2Tb HDD every 3 or 4 months.

And if the data is on my external HDD rather than on a Cloud somewhere nobody can get to it unless it is plugged in.

I doubt very much you have documents and pictures using 1.5 TB on your desktop.  

You said you lost the document covering the years 1960 to 1971,  if you'd had that backed up to the cloud then you wouldn't have lost it.

Backups are only really needed for files you create yourself, everything else you can download again, whereas documents you created or photos you took have to be recreated and usually that isn't possible.

And no-one can access your cloud files unless you give them your password.

3 hours ago, seancbk said:

please enlighten me why anyone would pay 3500 Baht every year for 1TB storage when a 1TB external drive is the same price? :unsure: 

Just now, Naam said:

please enlighten me why anyone would pay 3500 Baht every year for 1TB storage when a 1TB external drive is the same price? :unsure: 

Space saving. Accessible anywhere with Internet. Very little chance of being damaged. Backed by one of the world's most successful companies. Waterproof!

55 minutes ago, Naam said:

Mainly because a hard drive connected to your computer cannot be easily accessed remotely from your phone or from any of your other computers, unless you are on your own network or have the skills to setup remote access.   Google Drive is super easy to use and integrated nicely into the Android ecosystem.

For most people 100 GB is more than enough for all their documents and only costs 70 baht a month for the convenience of access anywhere.    See attached image for my usage.

Also USB HDDs fail whereas Google Drive is unlikely to lose your data.

Selection_669.png

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Mainly because a hard drive connected to your computer cannot be easily accessed remotely from your phone or from any of your other computers, unless you are on your own network or have the skills to setup remote access. 

you don't need any skills to set up teamviewer.

http://download.cnet.com/TeamViewer/3000-7240_4-10398150.html

I was on an island a few years ago when a "veteran" of thailand made my acquaintance.

He was upset as his friend had just admitted to him over the phone that whilst working in the same bar as my acquaintances ex, he had slept with her.

This event occurred a year after he split up with the ex and he "wanted to kill him" 

Puzzled look on my face from that moment on.

He then went on to explain he was experienced with women and had 30 relationships since arriving 3 (three) years ago. 

Flabbergasted look on my face.

"You mean you have had 30 dalliances

with women since being here?

No no, I had relationships with all of them. - in 3 years.

I believe the next words I spoke were;

Checkbill khap.

2 hours ago, Naam said:

Someone breaks in to your house and steals all your computer gear, or just imagine one day you have an electrical fault in your house from one of your 17 air-conditioners, a fire ensures and disastrously, your house and everything in it is destroyed including your small external drive.

A very good reason to back-up to the cloud, not that most people need 1TB as media can be downloaded or purchased again. I know a guy who mails a small encrypted flash drive every week to his brother for even more back-up security. All depends on how irreplaceable the data is. The 15GB I get free with Gmail is enough for my needs.

16 minutes ago, kkerry said:

Someone breaks in to your house and steals all your computer gear, or just imagine one day you have an electrical fault in your house from one of your 17 air-conditioners, a fire ensures and disastrously, your house and everything in it is destroyed including your small external drive.

A very good reason to back-up to the cloud, not that most people need 1TB as media can be downloaded or purchased again. I know a guy who mails a small encrypted flash drive every week to his brother for even more back-up security. All depends on how irreplaceable the data is. The 15GB I get free with Gmail is enough for my needs.

"mails a small encrypted flash drive every week"

Yes, my brother does that, I promptly throw them away, because I know they are fake stories on how he was a four-star general CIA/FBI/DEA double agent.

1 minute ago, elnet1 said:

"mails a small encrypted flash drive every week"

Yes, my brother does that, I promptly throw them away, because I know they are fake stories on how he was a four-star general CIA/FBI/DEA double agent.

Nice way to bring us back on topic.:smile:

36 minutes ago, kkerry said:

yawwnnn... you mean including my 8 external drives? no more aircon from now on!

On 03/10/2017 at 7:37 AM, watcharacters said:

Some times  I'm nearly stunned by the B.S. guys tell me about their past and accomplishments.

I think we have all met a few people like this in our lives. 

One or two, in my life, who actually turned out to to be very nice people, once they no longer needed to talk absolute BS in their need to try and fit in

The best bit is when a few years later when you know them well and remind them of that same BS and the sheepish look on their face trying to explain their way out of it

7 hours ago, seancbk said:

I doubt very much you have documents and pictures using 1.5 TB on your desktop.  

You said you lost the document covering the years 1960 to 1971,  if you'd had that backed up to the cloud then you wouldn't have lost it.

Backups are only really needed for files you create yourself, everything else you can download again, whereas documents you created or photos you took have to be recreated and usually that isn't possible.

And no-one can access your cloud files unless you give them your password.

Sean

It doesn't matter that much to me what you think.

I remember most of what I had and I know that I don't have it now. Nor does it matter if I had done this, that or the other a long time ago.

I didn't and AFAIAC that is the end of the matter.

None of us are perfect and the only loser in the end is me.

I can probably rewrite the file but many of the photos will not be there unless I can remember who sent them to me.

Archived