Business VISA with own company

Hi guys,

I am currently on an ED visa, and actually learning Thai because I think it is important to know the language if one wants to live here.

Anyway as this option might be only available for 3 years, I would like to make a business visa one day.

I do have my own company in Hong Kong, could this company make me do business trips to Thailand to get a Non-B Visa or do I also need a company in Thailand?

Thanks for your input!

Edited by Sp4wnY

7 minutes ago, Sp4wnY said:

I do have my own company in Hong Kong, could this company make me do business trips to Thailand to get a Non-B Visa or do I also need a company in Thailand?

You could possibley apply for a multiple entry not-b visa for business purposes. It would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

Many embassies will want proof of your business contacts here to issue it.

See number 2 here. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"B"-(for-Business-and.html

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could possibley apply for a multiple entry not-b visa for business purposes. It would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

Many embassies will want proof of your business contacts here to issue it.

See number 2 here. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"B"-(for-Business-and.html

Joe, when entering with a multiple entry Non B for business purposes, what are the rules about what you can and cannot do without a work permit? The Alien Employment Act suggests it is not much, but the Non B would be pretty worthless if so.

• Like 1

Proof of  business contacts might be a problem indeed. But so is getting a non-b visa even if you have a company in thailand who wants to employ you.

I thought one can come to Thailand to actually find business contacts in the first place.  

Edited by Sp4wnY

It's worth a try. Although I did ask the guy at the info booth in the HK Thai Consulate exactly that question, and they would issue multiple entry non B only if you have a HK ID card.

Otherwise it's single entry.

7 hours ago, Sp4wnY said:

Proof of  business contacts might be a problem indeed. But so is getting a non-b visa even if you have a company in thailand who wants to employ you.

I thought one can come to Thailand to actually find business contacts in the first place.  

You can find business contacts on a Tourist Visa entry.

A non B visa doesn't give anymore right to work than a Tourist Visa. The benefit over a Tourist Visa is having a long term multiple entry visa. 

Edited by elviajero

3 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

I used to come in on a business visa many many years ago, and as far as I can remember all one has to come up with is the required fee for such visa. The Thai office in Cardiff, South Wales, was very easy to deal with in this respect :)

Things have changed since then. Getting one now is not so easy.

Cardiff is a honorary consulate and like many other cannot issue multiple entry visas anymore.

7 hours ago, elviajero said:

You can find business contacts on a Tourist Visa entry.

A non B visa doesn't give anymore right to work than a Tourist Visa. The benefit over a Tourist Visa is having a long term multiple entry visa. 

But you would only be breaking Labour law as opposed to both Immigration and Labour law if you had a Non-B, so there is one "benefit".

Entering Thailand on a multiple entry Non B for "business purposes", without a work permit, what is the correct answer to the question "what is the purpose of your visit to Thailand"? I guess business meetings and attending trade shows is OK, but does that justify repeated 90-day stays?

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Entering Thailand on a multiple entry Non B for "business purposes", without a work permit, what is the correct answer to the question "what is the purpose of your visit to Thailand"? I guess business meetings and attending trade shows is OK, but does that justify repeated 90-day stays?

Well, one meeting is on day 1 the other on day 89. Meanwhile, one can enjoy Thailand.

47 minutes ago, lkv said:
4 hours ago, BritTim said:

Well, one meeting is on day 1 the other on day 89. Meanwhile, one can enjoy Thailand.

That makes sense for people who work one day every six weeks, I guess. For repeated entries, some immigration officials might start to question how someone entering Thailand for 90 days can make enough to finance his visit on just 2 business meetings every three months. Of course, most officials will tend to follow the path of least resistance, and not think too much.

20 minutes ago, BritTim said:

That makes sense for people who work one day every six weeks, I guess. For repeated entries, some immigration officials might start to question how someone entering Thailand for 90 days can make enough to finance his visit on just 2 business meetings every three months. Of course, most officials will tend to follow the path of least resistance, and not think too much.

Using the same logic where they don't find unusual the fact that someone buying a 20 year Thai Elite for example, can be a never ending tourist for 20 years without working. 

Actually not the same type of logic, but these multi nonBs are so hard to get these days for business purposes compared to before when everyone got them from Hull, not even being present in the UK, that I don't believe Immigration has major concerns about the usage of them at present time.

Edited by lkv

11 hours ago, pearciderman said:

But you would only be breaking Labour law as opposed to both Immigration and Labour law if you had a Non-B, so there is one "benefit".

You wouldn't be breaking any laws.

The Immigration Act says you need authorisation to carry out any occupation. However, certain activities are considered 'not working' and do not require authorisation (exempt). 

• Attending a conference, gathering information, or seminars
  • Visiting/viewing exhibitions or trade shows
  • Visiting businesses or holding meeting discussions
  • Attending special lectures and educational forums (audience participant)
  • Attending technical training and seminars (audience participant)
  • Buying products at a trade show
  • Attending Board/or Directors Meeting in his/her own company

So if you are visiting for the purpose of visiting business or holding meetings discussions you can enter using any visa or visa exempt entry. The only benefit of a Non-'B' would be a 1 - 3 year multiple entry visa. These days these visas are generally only issued with a sponsoring Thai company.

• Like 1