Visa in Penang

I used to stay at and use the Mingood in Penang- they sorted everything for me with minimal fuss. You can contact Arthur in advance and he will update you with the latest stuff you need to bring. Not been there for over a year so can't give you current costs and procedures. The hotel itself is a bit dated but for a couple of nights its fine.

There are other visa agents but I just found it convenient. There was a slight hiccup due to an unforeseen closure at the consulate but they were able to recover my passport in time for the flight. Dealing with something like that myself may not have been as easy.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RyanWalker said:

Hi guys, just a quick question. I am going to Penang for a tourist visa. Would you suggest I use an agency or just go do it myself

at the consulate? Also, I saw the requirements they need for the TV, do they really ask for it all?

Just back from Penang I use Stardust in Chulea street its a basic but very clean, friendly and cost wise a reasonable place to stay . They provide everything. Copies of your flight tickets out of Thailand and hotel bookings for the country the air tickets are for(mine was Vietnam) all correctly printed in your name with the correct dates. You now pay a little more but still way cheaper than booking flight tickets yourself. Also using an agent you do not have to pay the taxi fares to and from the Consulate.

• Like 1

I just returned from Penang last week.   I used an agent located 10 meters east of Chulia Mansion Hotel.  I cant remember the name.   There’s another agent about 20 meters west of the hotel, Jims.  He’s the most popular.   

I did not have an air ticket out of Thailand or hotel.  I provided the agent two passport photos and a signature.   The visa fee is 150 ringgit and I paid the agent another 100 ringgit.  Exchange is 4.17 ringgit to USD.     

Very easy process.  The fee I paid the agent was offset by what I would have paid in taxi fare to and from the consulate (4 one-way trips) and my time.   Some choose to do it themselves though.  

I bought a 24 hour Hop-on-Hop-off bus ticket and explored the island while I was waiting for my visa and also tried a variety of delicious foods and visited Penang Hill.     I booked a return there in November to renew my visa again.