Renew annual compuslory insurance and tax

bkksteve123

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did a search and couldn't find the information I needed.

I will need to renew the insurance and tax soon (bike is less than 5 years old), I've never had to go through it before, so thought I'd ask here since there should be some useful knowledge and previous experience.

So as I understand, I need to pay the compulsory insurance first, and then go to the DLT nearest me (that would be Bangchak) to pay the tax and get a new tax sticker, bringing with me my greenbook, receipt of insurance paid, and of course some ID/license. Is this correct?

So the question is; where can one pay this insurance and what do I need with me?

Thanks in advance!

/S

On 10/4/2017 at 9:45 PM, jackdd said:

Or just do both in 7/11: 

No dont think so !

go to a place displaying this sign they can do all this stuff for you hassle free for a small fee.

take the green book with you.

post-2109-1243322952.gif

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, johng said:

No dont think so !

go to a place displaying this sign they can do all this stuff for you hassle free for a small fee.

take the green book with you.

post-2109-1243322952.gif

You don't think what?

Be careful who you give your green book to, a friend gave it to a shop to do this for him and then the shop owner disappeared and the green book with him. Now he has the hassle of getting a new one.

Most PPT fuel stations have a ProCheck garage within the forecourt area.

Just take your vehicle registration book and the fee if your ride is under the age for a check or if it does need the check they do it while you wait.

Normally, return for the Gov. insur and tax disc the next day. A very small fee is added for the service, about 50 baht. I do several rides, bikes and cars this way all the time.

Easy Peasy.

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

You don't think what?

I dont think you can buy vehicle tax and insurance at 7 /11.

If someone steals your blue/green book,make a police report and then go to the DLT with copy of book and police report and get a new one.

The shops that display the sign I posted are legal and officially endorsed.

46 minutes ago, johng said:

I dont think you can buy vehicle tax and insurance at 7 /11.

As i wrote in the other thread:

The first time when i did it i bought the insurance in the insurance company's office, and payed the tax in 7/11, both in Bangkok (I wasn't aware that you can buy the insurance in 7/11 at this time).

The second year i bought the insurance in 7/11 (in Udon), and wanted to pay the tax too, but paying the tax in 7/11 seems to be not possible in Udon, maybe that's only possible in Bangkok.

(Requirement as also mentioned in the other thread: You need a Thai person with Thai ID card with you)

So in Bangkok you can pay both in 7/11, in other provinces you can at least buy the insurance in 7/11, i didn't make it up ;)

7 minutes ago, johng said:

Did the 7/11 also update your blue/green book and print the tax disc out for you ?

The tax disc comes by mail.

The question about the blue/green book was good, i didn't think about this before. So i just checked mine. It got the entry for last year (when i payed in 7/11) when i payed this year at the DLT. So i assume it works the same way as bank books, if you take the green book to the DLT he missing entries get added.

40 minutes ago, jackdd said:

there was even an advertisement for it:

Well I'll be buggered LOL !!

pity I just renewed all my vehicles or I'd go and try,   but later I will go and ask at my local 7  if they offer this service :smile:

How exciting!  So, all I need to do is take my car's blue book to 7-11 and pay for the compulsory government insurance and tax.  Then, presumably complete a form, with my address (in English?).  And, finally, a few days (weeks?) later, they send me the insurance document and the new tax disc?  Sounds to easy to be true!!

10 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

How exciting!  So, all I need to do is take my car's blue book to 7-11 and pay for the compulsory government insurance and tax.  Then, presumably complete a form, with my address (in English?).  And, finally, a few days (weeks?) later, they send me the insurance document and the new tax disc?  Sounds to easy to be true!!

Yes, about like this.

But they need a Thai id card to scan, so you have to bring your GF / Thai friend (It doesn't matter who this is, theoretically the 7/11 clerk could use his own, but i don't know if they would do this). Your GF / Friend can also write down your address in Thai then to make sure the tax disc arrives.

The insurance document will be printed right when you pay in 7/11 (yes, they have a printer there, i was surprised too ;)) in the advertisement you can see the A4 sheet of paper, that's the insurance confirmation.

And as we can see in the advertisement that's only possible if the car / motorbike is less than 5 years old. I assume after 5 years you can still buy the insurance there, but to pay the tax you have to go to the DLT to show them the letter you have to get from a mechanic.

Edited by jackdd

Well I'll be damned, here I thought I had an easy question to which I'd receive a clear and easy response with instructions :D

One issue here seems to be that there are many different ways to go upon completing this task.

The proposed 7-11 solution, while it sounds great, I can only imagine the empty look I'd get when I go there to ask them if I can pay insurance and tax there....ALAAI CANNOT.

I suppose I will go ask around the DLT which is just a 5 minute drive for me.

Thanks for the replies though.

Today in the morning i went to another 7/11 than my usual one (the last time i asked at my "usual" one and they told me in udon that's not possible, so i assumed it's a BKK thing). And i noticed this sign that i saw in the Video as a small sticker at the door. So i went in to confirm it and they told me that it's possible to pay both things there. So maybe it's just not available at every 7/11, but you can just look for this sign as a small sticker at the door and probably it's possible everywhere in the country.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-10 um 07.54.32.png

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

i just buy a car . it has a valid tax disc ...    will or does this car have any insurance cover on it at all ?

i thought  when you buy a new tax disc and pay the fee compulsory insurance B500 was included in the fee and you get a small payment slip like you do on a motorbike ... am i wrong ??? 

if not can't understand why the garage said i can  drive the car home  and come back in 7 days to collect the blue book ...

should i have got my own insurance type 1-2-3 before i drove it home ... ????