More new RULES?

I saw this on my FB  page today and a lot of my friends saw it also.  Can anyone clarify about it?

I am in Phuket immigration office getting my business visa. 
The immigration officer just informed me that every time you come back on into the country you have 24 hours to report to immigration to confirm your address. That is those people on retirement, marriage and business visas. 
If you return on weekends, the following Monday you report. Excluding public holidays. 
This is straight from the immigration officer. 
Please take note.
2,000 Baht maximum fine.

That´s right. It regards all foreigners in Thailand. Exept permanent residency and citizenship.

36 minutes ago, Kay McDonnell said:

That is those people on retirement, marriage and business visas. 

Edited by Get Real
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kay McDonnell said:

The immigration officer just informed me that every time you come back on into the country you have 24 hours to report to immigration to confirm your address. That is those people on retirement, marriage and business visas. 
If you return on weekends, the following Monday you report. Excluding public holidays. 
Please take note.
2,000 Baht maximum fine.

This reflects what others have posted here regarding the enforcement of the TM-30 rules.  Only those who don't need to ever use Immigration services can avoid this - but each office enforces the rules differently. 

At my office (Jomtien), even those on Tourist Visas must file this, if they wish to apply for an extension-of-stay in the future.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JackThompson said:

This reflects what others have posted here regarding the enforcement of the TM-30 rules.  Only those who don't need to ever use Immigration services can avoid this - but each office enforces the rules differently. 

At my office (Jomtien), even those on Tourist Visas must file this, if they wish to apply for an extension-of-stay in the future.

Hi, do i interpret this correctly in the case that if i get either a TV from an embassy, or just a 30 day VE that when   i come back to my residence [and as i do, wish to extend later] that i need to , in person, report to imm office to confirm my address which they already have.

If so what do i need to show them to confirm my address please?

37 minutes ago, jamieoutlook said:

Hi, do i interpret this correctly in the case that if i get either a TV from an embassy, or just a 30 day VE that when   i come back to my residence [and as i do, wish to extend later] that i need to , in person, report to imm office to confirm my address which they already have.

If so what do i need to show them to confirm my address please?

It depends on the immigration office where you are applying. To extend a tourist entry, if you are staying in a hotel, just the hotel name and address on the TM7 form will usually be sufficient. You may be asked to show something to prove you are staying at the hotel. If not staying in a hotel, as others have posted, some offices will insist that a TM30 notification by the housemaster be submitted. There are many threads on here about what this entails, and the different levels of pain that might be experienced in complying.

If you are in the situation of needing an extension of a tourist entry, unless in Bangkok, it is best to check in to a hotel for the day (if not already in one) before applying for an extension.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

It depends on the immigration office where you are applying. To extend a tourist entry, if you are staying in a hotel, just the hotel name and address on the TM7 form will usually be sufficient. You may be asked to show something to prove you are staying at the hotel. If not staying in a hotel, as others have posted, some offices will insist that a TM30 notification by the housemaster be submitted. There are many threads on here about what this entails, and the different levels of pain that might be experienced in complying.

If you are in the situation of needing an extension of a tourist entry, unless in Bangkok, it is best to check in to a hotel for the day (if not already in one) before applying for an extension.

Thanks,I have a lease on a condo,so as i said, the imm office already has my details.

My main query is, as i asked above in response to Jack Thompsons post;

18 hours ago, JackThompson said:

My query is not so much about the extension, but about the need  to report to imm office as i said.>>

Hi, do i interpret this correctly in the case that if i get either a TV from an embassy, or just a 30 day VE that when   i come back to my residence  that i need to , in person, report to imm office to confirm my address which they already have.

Thanks for input.

9 minutes ago, jamieoutlook said:

Thanks,I have a lease on a condo,so as i said, the imm office already has my details.

My query is not so much about the extension, but about the need  to report to imm office as i said.>>

Hi, do i interpret this correctly in the case that if i get either a TV from an embassy, or just a 30 day VE that when   i come back to my residence  that i need to , in person, report to imm office to confirm my address which they already have.

Thanks for input.

In Jomtien, Yes, if you plan to request an extension - re-report your same address, and you will get a new TM-30 slip for your passport.

Those who never use their local imm-offices can ignore all this, as it is not enforced at airports or border-checkpoints.

Edited by JackThompson

21 minutes ago, jamieoutlook said:

Thanks for input.

There are two separate requirements to report an aliens residence.

You have a responsibility to report your address to Immigration, which you do when you put your Condo address on the TM6 arrival form.

Section 37 of the Immigration Act.

Then there is a requirement for the person defined as the 'House master' to report an aliens arrival at the premises. (TM 30)

Section 38 of the Immigration Act.

Under section 4, 'House Master' means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of
owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

In the case of leasing a Condo the responsibility could fall on the owner, the Condo management, or in their absence yourself to file the report.

Immigration usually want a copy of the owners Tabien Baan and ID card.

Not all Immigration offices enforce section 38 of the Act, so check with your designated IO first.

On 10/6/2017 at 12:56 PM, Kay McDonnell said:

Please take note.
2,000 Baht maximum fine.

This, from OP is also my question because,as someone said ,t also applied to TV's.

Anyone?

15 hours ago, jamieoutlook said:

This, from OP is also my question because,as someone said ,t also applied to TV's.

Anyone?

The first question is where is your Condo and which Immigration office covers your area.

Second question is are you likely to visit Immigration for an extension.

18 hours ago, jamieoutlook said:
  On 10/6/2017 at 12:56 PM, Kay McDonnell said:

Please take note.
2,000 Baht maximum fine.

On 10/6/2017 at 2:59 PM, JackThompson said:

The pertinent point is right here.>>>>The immigration officer just informed me that EVERY TIME you come back on into the country you have 24 hours to report to immigration to confirm your address. That is those people on retirement, marriage and business visas.

So, back to my original question >>>>>

On 10/7/2017 at 10:02 AM, JackThompson said:

OP quoted EVERY TIME you come back into the country you have 24 hours, etc, etc 

Does this apply  in the case of coming back into the country after leaving it to get a visa?

To me it does viz>>> EVERY TIME.

No one thus far has either confirmed or refuted this OP query.

Thank you.

PS...i have been here on TV's and VE's for more than 6 months so understand the sect 37 & 38 and extentions etc,and my address is unchanged, but this is a new requirement, if it is true..as OP headlined>>>

More new RULES?

Is it a new rule or is it just confusion over an existing rule?

Edited by jamieoutlook

On 10/8/2017 at 1:30 PM, jamieoutlook said:

The pertinent point is right here.>>>>The immigration officer just informed me that EVERY TIME you come back on into the country you have 24 hours to report to immigration to confirm your address. That is those people on retirement, marriage and business visas.

So, back to my original question >>>>>

Does this apply  in the case of coming back into the country after leaving it to get a visa?

Thank you.

PS...i have been here on TV's and VE's for more than 6 months so understand the sect 37 & 38 and extentions etc,and my address is unchanged, but this is a new requirement, if it is true..as OP headlined>>>

More new RULES?

The last quote attributed to me ("Hi, do i interpret...") is not my quote, but, in any case.

It is the "conflation" of 2 old rules, which went non-enforced for decades.

You can ignore this if you don't need anything from an immigration office.  This is why many use multi-entry visas and do border-runs - because of how they are/were treated at their local immigration office.

You can also ignore TM-30 reporting if you are served by an immigration office that Does Not Care - such as Chang Wattana, the mothership-office (last I heard, anyway). 

But if, "The immigration officer just informed me..." at your local immigration office, then by all means, do it.

• Thanks 1

Thank you.

More new RULES?

I believe that Only the Imm office for your area can answer your question, and then, only somewhat.
Somewhat, because which ever officer you talk to, even in the same office, can give different answers. Even the same officer can give different answers to the same question on different days!

In Samut Sakhon they only require a TM 30 the first time you enter the country, we arranged to do it using the Line App, giving photos of PP stamps, very nice and easy.

If you are lucky and get a nice officer, on a good day, maybe you could ask for something similar.
My missus always took a little something (tamboon), cakes or something they shared at tea breaks. Worked wonders for us.

When I was a working stiff, that would have worked wonders for me too LOL

Good luck.

9 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The last quote attributed to me ("Hi, do i interpret...") is not my quote, but, in any case.

It is the "conflation" of 2 old rules, which went non-enforced for decades.

You can ignore this if you don't need anything from an immigration office.  This is why many use multi-entry visas and do border-runs - because of how they are/were treated at their local immigration office.

You can also ignore TM-30 reporting if you are served by an immigration office that Does Not Care - such as Chang Wattana, the mothership-office (last I heard, anyway). 

But if, "The immigration officer just informed me..." at your local immigration office, then by all means, do it.

Thank you, there is just so much information and misinformation going around, and different requirements from different IO's that its so hard to make sure you are doing the right thing.

PS   Sorry,my bad on quoting my post instead of yours.

20 hours ago, JackThompson said:

This is why many use multi-entry visas and do border-runs - because of how they are/were treated at their local immigration office.

i dont doubt you; your advice is generally top notch;

pity tho that this is the case; the 'system' is forcing people to be tourists due only to it's own ineffectiveness

or , equally ugly, forcing some of us to move to different areas solely based on workable immigration offices

Edited by YetAnother

19 hours ago, YetAnother said:
On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:20 PM, JackThompson said:

This is why many use multi-entry visas and do border-runs - because of how they are/were treated at their local immigration office.

i dont doubt you; your advice is generally top notch;

pity tho that this is the case; the 'system' is forcing people to be tourists due only to it's own ineffectiveness

or , equally ugly, forcing some of us to move to different areas solely based on workable immigration offices

Hardly Jack!

Most who use the multi-entry Non Imm O do so because they can't meet the financial requirements for an annual extension, or, they don't have a clue where their Immigration office is located, what form to download, where to download it, and what the requirements are and what documents they need. 

32 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Hardly Jack!

Most who use the multi-entry Non Imm O do so because they can't meet the financial requirements for an annual extension, or, they don't have a clue where their Immigration office is located, what form to download, where to download it, and what the requirements are and what documents they need. 

I would assume many cannot meet the financials for 1-year extensions, and use it as a way to keep their family together by other means.  But those are not the only cases.  I exceeded the financials, had every document on the official-list and more, and couldn't get a conversion at my office.  I got my initial Non-O at a consulate, as a result.  That sort of experience tends to lead someone to look for ways to "avoid dealing with those people" whenever possible.

We will see if I become one of these folks when I try for the 1-year extension.  But if it doesn't work out, it won't be because I didn't know what forms are needed.  At that point, I either rent a broom-closet in Bangkok and get my 1-year extensions done there (where the actual laws/rules seem to be followed), or go for the 1-year ME.   But one thing is for sure - I will not be rewarding these IO's "runaround" efforts with agent-money.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2017 at 11:39 PM, laislica said:

I believe that Only the Imm office for your area can answer your question, and then, only somewhat.
Somewhat, because which ever officer you talk to, even in the same office, can give different answers. Even the same officer can give different answers to the same question on different days!

In Samut Sakhon they only require a TM 30 the first time you enter the country, we arranged to do it using the Line App, giving photos of PP stamps, very nice and easy.

If you are lucky and get a nice officer, on a good day, maybe you could ask for something similar.
My missus always took a little something (tamboon), cakes or something they shared at tea breaks. Worked wonders for us.

When I was a working stiff, that would have worked wonders for me too LOL

Good luck.

Intriguing, efficient,makes sense. Don't see this happening in ChiangMai.  1507625.GIF