Corruption, anger, violence, people earning a living: Why the issue of clearing the sidewalks of vendors will never be easy.

rooster59

Corruption, anger, violence, people earning a living: Why the issue of clearing the sidewalks of vendors will never be easy.

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GOyahUuX0VIEJuOdHC.jpg

Image: Thai Rath

A case of an angry female fruit seller who attacked a local official for trying to clear her off the sidewalk is the latest event in the battle between the authorities and the vendors.

The case is mired in corruption. The changing of the guard from a retiring official to a new one with new demands.

But also violence.

It entails a furious woman trying to make a living who lashed out in frustration with a knife injured an official.

But was he merely doing his job in clearing the sidewalk? Or was he extorting cash? Or both?

The police are set to meet the warring factions today to come to some agreement in what is becoming a war of words and actions not just in the capital but across Thailand as the military government tries to bring more order to the streets.

The latest incident involved 37 year old fruit seller Thongkham Yonaphan from Sisaket.

She was filmed in a furious rage attacking a "tetsakit" official from the Nonthaburi administration with a fruit paring knife.

He needed seven stitches in an arm wound. The footage, inevitably, found its way to Facebook.

Thongkham said that she had paid to be outside the Toyota dealership on Rathanathibet Road.

Why should she be cleared off?

Yesterday she explained to Thai Rath reporters. She said that she had been selling fruit there from her cart for 5 or 6 years.

She had originally been asked for 500 baht to ply her trade and negotiated a fee of 300 baht with the "tetsakit" officer as her cart was a small one.

Everything was fine and she paid by the month. 

Then he retired and a new guy came in.

He asked her for 1,300 baht "like everyone else". She said he gave her a receipt for 300 baht.

"I don't know where the other 1,000 baht went", she said somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

So the status quo of 300 baht monthly payments was resumed but on the day of the assault the new officer tried to clear her away before she had completed her day of selling.

She said she had only been there two hours.

She got mad -  she slammed her fist into her own cart breaking the glass then attacked the official with the knife.

Kittisak Thiangkamol of the Nonthaburi authority confirmed the incident. He said that Surasingh Noradee, 31, had filed a claim of assault after needing seven stitches in an arm wound.

Another official called Samniang Naowarat, 58, said his phone was slightly damaged in the melee.

Kittisak said that the officers were doing their duty but he intimated that there was an inquiry as to who ordered them to do what they were doing and and he wanted to know precisely what was their behavior and motivation.

Police are set to meet both sides today to come to an agreement, reported Thai Rath.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-07

Now we finally understand what the return happiness to the people plan is all about. To squeeze more money from these poor people. 

I have seen many places being cleared out for 1 month or 2, then the vendors return again..

Then when i ask the vendors how come they r allowed back again? The answer is just simply pay more... 

And the roadmap is to be corruption free in 20years. 

How much more jokes they want to crack while they are in power. 

Singapore went through this years ago. The Thai Govt should follow their example and provide Govt administered open air food centers. Then they could do away with the ramshackle vendors and hawkers. Nobody would lose their living and it could help to prevent corruption and backhanders.

Rent and utilities at a set price and easy for hygiene inspections etc.

IMG_5110.JPG.7f07e7818d87db03e38b73c8cbc3b42e.JPG

1 hour ago, Pdaz said:

Singapore went through this years ago. The Thai Govt should follow their example and provide Govt administered open air food centers. Then they could do away with the ramshackle vendors and hawkers. Nobody would lose their living and it could help to prevent corruption and backhanders.

But then the police can't extort them.

1 hour ago, Pdaz said:

The day Thailand becomes like Singapore is the day I pack my bags.

1 hour ago, Pdaz said:

OMG no, the last thing we need is another sterile city like Singers, Thailand is unique and that's why lots of people love it, just look at that picture, YIKES!

24 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

OMG no, the last thing we need is another sterile city like Singers, Thailand is unique and that's why lots of people love it, just look at that picture, YIKES!

If you think S'pore is sterile you need to spend more time there. You obviously missed out. 

Why the sudden mania by the military rulers to clear the streets of vendors? Street vendors are an integral part of Thailand, and the country would be poorer without them. They add colour, choice, economy and convenience to the lives of the people who live nearby, not to mention a means of making a living for the vendors themselves. Many Thai cities are concrete jungles, and without the vendors they have little appeal. I really don't understand why the authorities want to clear them out. Ok, some of them may create obstructions, but that can be easily dealt with on a case by case basis. I've never found it to be a major inconvenience to thread my way past them. If you're in that much of a hurry, perhaps Thailand isn't the place to be.

When I'm in Bangkok, I usually stay in Saphan Kwai, not far from the BTS. There used to be some great food stalls up and down the main drag - it was quite vibrant, but now they've been thrown out, the place is just a rather grim, dirty semi-subterranean piece of road with very little to offer apart from the Big C supermarket.

Why can't petty officials just stop meddling in other people's lives? What they are doing is of no benefit to anyone and a substantial loss to many.

1 minute ago, nisakiman said:

Why the sudden mania by the military rulers to clear the streets of vendors? Street vendors are an integral part of Thailand, and the country would be poorer without them. They add colour, choice, economy and convenience to the lives of the people who live nearby, not to mention a means of making a living for the vendors themselves. Many Thai cities are concrete jungles, and without the vendors they have little appeal. I really don't understand why the authorities want to clear them out. Ok, some of them may create obstructions, but that can be easily dealt with on a case by case basis. I've never found it to be a major inconvenience to thread my way past them. If you're in that much of a hurry, perhaps Thailand isn't the place to be.

When I'm in Bangkok, I usually stay in Saphan Kwai, not far from the BTS. There used to be some great food stalls up and down the main drag - it was quite vibrant, but now they've been thrown out, the place is just a rather grim, dirty semi-subterranean piece of road with very little to offer apart from the Big C supermarket.

Why can't petty officials just stop meddling in other people's lives? What they are doing is of no benefit to anyone and a substantial loss to many.

The Big C has a food court yes?

"Main drag" has a 7/11yes?

Influence and a dislike of any competition...

2 hours ago, Pdaz said:

I hate Singapore's hawker centres... street food all the way

The officer should be fired and fined, but this is Thailand... likely whole office does the same.

Edited by Coconut007

TAT's adverts on international TV at this time says come to Thailand for the experience of Street food and guess what no carts on the streets then if this is true.

But its ok to lie as its in the culture

Corruption well we are in the right place for it.

40 minutes ago, nisakiman said:

Sounds like they're all democrats.

6 minutes ago, Enzian said:

So someday I'm hit by a car stepping into the street to get around a restaurant set up on the sidewalk, all I can say is I'm glad I was helping someone make a living?

..helping them make a living illegally.

never mind access to pavements for the disabled, elderly, those with children... markets should be set up in specially allocated areas, as happens the world over. it's not rocket science.

She got mad -  she slammed her fist into her own cart breaking the glass then attacked the official with the knife.

She got mad is her excuse for trying to murder an official merely doing his duty as ordered by the military junta? Does he deserve to die for that? 500 baht fine and a wai. Case closed. 

6 hours ago, Pdaz said:

But that would require thinking and planning on the part of the officials.....something that is not in their genes

3 hours ago, Enzian said:

So someday I'm hit by a car stepping into the street to get around a restaurant set up on the sidewalk, all I can say is I'm glad I was helping someone make a living?

You could always look before you step into the street.

4 hours ago, Enzian said:

not if you open your eyes and look to see what's coming.

where do the motor bikes mostly drive? 

not on the road that's for sure. 

Edited by hoyism

5 hours ago, fasteddie said:

What's wrong with that picture? Looks perfect to me, good floor, no soidogs/cats/rats...they all speak english, perfect.

Today i got scammed in Arno's steakhouse in EMquartier...i ordered a double burger 2x200 gram of meat but got 2x75 gram of meat...had to pay for the 200 gram burgers though...I hope Arno reads it, i've seen his pic and will ask him about it one day when i meet him.

7 hours ago, dcnx said:

But then the police can't extort them.

And it becomes a sterile soulless city. Let's face facts there is no way the owner operator of a Bangkok street stall could afford to rent a place in one of those food halls. The people working there would all be employees.

7 hours ago, yellowboat said:

A Thai friend once said that the government was good, as it employed people who could not get jobs elsewhere.  Sadly, it is bad or the country.  What a shameless idiot. 

That could be said for most Government employees in any country...particularly University 'academics'

6 hours ago, Enzian said:

You are not in full control of your faculties?

Thousands indeed perhaps millions of people have little difficulty negotiating a path to walk on everyday.....perhaps Thailand or the broader SEA region is not the place for you?

Edited by tryasimight

6 hours ago, samsensam said:

..helping them make a living illegally.

never mind access to pavements for the disabled, elderly, those with children... markets should be set up in specially allocated areas, as happens the world over. it's not rocket science.

How is it making living illegally?

I regularly saw deaf, dumb and blind people as well as people with missing limbs live and work on lower Sukhumvit...still do as a matter of fact. The street stalls don't seem to bother them, in fact they actually own some of the street stalls.

Stop the western indoctrinated whining.

In essence the article is about a corrupt official increasing the 'rent' for the lady...not the fact that she has a street stall per se.

Edited by tryasimight

1 hour ago, Thian said:

What's wrong with that picture? Looks perfect to me, good floor, no soidogs/cats/rats...they all speak english, perfect.

Today i got scammed in Arno's steakhouse in EMquartier...i ordered a double burger 2x200 gram of meat but got 2x75 gram of meat...had to pay for the 200 gram burgers though...I hope Arno reads it, i've seen his pic and will ask him about it one day when i meet him.

Could be Southend for all I know.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

You should have gone to a street stall shouldn't you? Won't get ripped off there.