Britain 'prepares for war with North Korea' while 'new carrier could be rushed into service'

webfact

25 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I don't want any action other than a negotiated solution to a difficult situation- I am not advocating a first strike or any type of military action against N Korea. I am advocating the continuation of United Nations sanctions and the World powers putting pressure on China, Russia, the US and NKorea to sit down and work out a solution to this problem.

However, I am aware that Korea has threatened to launch a missile with a nuclear warhead and explode it in the Pacific Ocean. Just let it go is your response- no action. HOw about if NKorea sells a nuclear weapon to an Islamic terrorist group and they explode it in London? Just let it go- no action.  I know you don't feel that way but that is a real threat if NKorea is allowed to keep its arsenal without  any type of regulation.  I wish it wasn't so but it is so and that is the truth. 

What other bloody options do we have? Great, they fire another missile and we tell them how jolly cross we are. Fine with me. Otherwise it is war.

What if they sell technology to ISIS? Prove it when it happens and let's take it from there. What if a rogue former Soviet General does the same? Shouldn't we bomb a few of the 'stans now, just to be on the safe side?

Dunno why you keep mentioning this mythical dirty bomb going off in London: You might be astonished that I wouldn't wish it on the Harris family in Clearwater, Florida as much as London, Manchester or any other city you might care to mention.

Edited by baboon

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, champers said:

Of course. Too many ships around and there might be accidents.

Two has been one  too many for our North American cousins just lately, but now the 

commanding admiral has been given the elbow, an improved performance can hopefully be looked forward to

12 hours ago, colinneil said:

Any person in the UK government with even half a brain, will tell Trump and co to get stuffed.

Let the US arms manufacturers go it alone.

Too many British lives were lost because of lies in 2003.

When I visited Britain 30 years ago the IQ of British were quite high but it has dropped to almost zero now. Don't you agree colin? Is bootlicking an english expression?

11 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

Will Blighty ever grow a pair????  Quit following the USA around the globe. Let them go bankrupt but don't follow them into it. North Korea will implode sooner or later. Let the Kim family bluster and blather and threaten, but don't take them seriously. Paper tiger.

Re:  "North Korea will implode sooner or later."    Well.... been waiting for NK to implode now for more then 60 years... and talking to them for more than 60 years.    Lot of good it's done huh ? ?     So... you have a magic crystal ball ? ?   Tell us how much longer we have to wait !         Not a lot of Kim family left to bluster...  Jong-un tends to murder them.

No one wants a war- unfortunately if Korea sells the nuclear technology to a terrorist group- the World may not know it unti that group ses off a bomb somewhere and then action is too late.

The best policy  is action now- and that means a complete Worldwide ban on doing business with NKorea; closing down/downgrading NKorea diplomatic missions; sending NKorea workers back to NKorea by closing their business operating in third countries. Cutting off income to NKorea will choke off their ability to pursue more weaponry.

At the same time-  China and/or Russia need to push NKorea to the negotiating table. Once the negotiating begins- then various solutions take shape with the goal being the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.

Appeasement will never settle this issue- the Kim regime has been lying for years- now they have to make a decision-

18 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Here we go again- another person who is trying to distort history- using rhetoric that actually sounds like it is coming from NKorea and has no real knowledge of the workings of the Us military or anything close to it.  I won't defend the use of American power in the World as long as you don't try and defend the British Empire which enslaved millions and has a racist past- so let's not go there

We may however agree on one thing- Donald Trump is a poor President and a poor representative of America. However, Donald Trump cannot start a war on his own but he can certainly raise the stakes by his undisciplined rhetoric. However, he is surrounded by American Generals' who well know the actual situation and know full well the consequences of starting a war. There are also wiser minds in the US Congress who can and will exercise their will to stop an undeclared war.

Having said all that- the issue remains the same- what is the World going to do about NKorea or shall the World do nothing and let NKorea expand its nuclear arsenal; possibly develop intercontinental ballistic missiles or sell a nuclear warhead to a radical islamic group who decides that the UK has harmed the image of Islam and then decides to set it off in London.

If you are British and do not like what your government is doing- as I said before write to your MP and ask that the UK withdraw from Nato.  However, I have yet to hear a rational response and a plan to avoid a confrontation with NKorea other than dismissive insults and a distortion of history. 

Nato is the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, Cento covers the the Middle East and Seato covers South East Asia.

The UK along with the USA are members of all 3 organisations.

If I wrote to my MP and ask that the UK withdraws from NATO I will probably get a nice polite letter back saying that she cannot help me.

Multiple off topic, troll, baiting and bickering posts have been removed topic is about:

Britain 'prepares for war with North Korea' while 'new carrier could be rushed into service'

7 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

There is no last word - from any of us- the fate of the situation is in the hands of politicians that  we hope have the sense to at least try for a negotiated solution that does not involve war and death.

At last you say something i can agree with .

18 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

As for timing:  When Mueller's team are ready to release their first tranche of findings, that's when Trump will tell his top brass to go for it.

This wouldn't be surprising. I mean we're just over a year past the anniversary of the day when:

1. The U.S. government announces that Russia is trying to interfere in the election to aid trump.
  2. (30 minutes later) The Access Hollywood tape is leaked.
  3. (30 minutes after that) The Podesta emails are released on wikileaks.

7 hours ago, Thaidream said:

No one wants a war- unfortunately if Korea sells the nuclear technology to a terrorist group- the World may not know it unti that group ses off a bomb somewhere and then action is too late.

The best policy  is action now- and that means a complete Worldwide ban on doing business with NKorea; closing down/downgrading NKorea diplomatic missions; sending NKorea workers back to NKorea by closing their business operating in third countries. Cutting off income to NKorea will choke off their ability to pursue more weaponry.

At the same time-  China and/or Russia need to push NKorea to the negotiating table. Once the negotiating begins- then various solutions take shape with the goal being the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.

Appeasement will never settle this issue- the Kim regime has been lying for years- now they have to make a decision-

Haven't they already spent most of the last 40 years or so negotiating ? ?   What has that accomplished except that now they have nukes that they didn't have before... and building the missiles for them ? ?   

So much for negotiating. .  How soon we forget Neville Chamberlain and "Peace in our time". 

Wake up people....  ! ! ! 

42 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

There is no last word - from any of us- the fate of the situation is in the hands of politicians that  we hope have the sense to at least try for a negotiated solution that does not involve war and death.

Didn't Neville Chamberlain try that ? ?     We've been negotiating now for most of the past 40 years or more.   What has it accomplished ? ?  ...except that now North Korea has Nukes and missiles it didn't have before    

..   Seems the negotiations benefit North Korea... but not the rest of the world. 

Edited by Catoni

15 hours ago, madusa said:

When I visited Britain 30 years ago the IQ of British were quite high but it has dropped to almost zero now. Don't you agree colin? Is bootlicking an english expression?

Any legitimate evidence and sources for your claim?

Or simple racism?

At the end of the day, neither of the (likely) sociopaths in power are interested in suicide - they're only interested in 'power'.

Which could well result in a 'conventional' war - as these tend to encourage nationalism amongst the populace and boost poll ratings - in the short term....

Back on topic - with a bit of luck the Brit. govt. will keep well away this time, and leave it to the 'super egos' in N Korea and the US. 

Edited by dick dasterdly

58 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Haven't they already spent most of the last 40 years or so negotiating ? ?   What has that accomplished except that now they have nukes that they didn't have before... and building the missiles for them ? ?   

So much for negotiating. .  How soon we forget Neville Chamberlain and "Peace in our time". 

Wake up people....  ! ! ! 

You wake up .Its America want War WAR .They have 2 Countries left on their agenda to invade ,N.Korea and Iran .( Read up what General Wesley Clark is saying ) .Kim is just defending his Country .

2 hours ago, Catoni said:

Didn't Neville Chamberlain try that ? ?     We've been negotiating now for most of the past 40 years or more.   What has it accomplished ? ?  ...except that now North Korea has Nukes and missiles it didn't have before    

..   Seems the negotiations benefit North Korea... but not the rest of the world. 

Not these old canards again...

1. When the DPRK roll their tanks into a foreign countries as Hitler did then let's start comparing the situation to WW II.

2. No we have not been negotiating with them on their nuclear weapons program for most of the past 40 years or more.

3. Since talks and negotiations have led to sanction after sanction, how is that benefiting them, exactly? 

The majority of Americans are sick and tired of war and the high military budget- the highest in the World. We Americans would love to have Universal Healthcare as most Europeans have and have a reasonable amount spent on the Armed Forces as Europe has.In addition, we would love to have the Government assist us with the high cost of University instead of being indentured for 20 years attempting to pay back loans.

The Us military leadership is advocating negotiations to enable NKorea to survive with its current leadership  but without nuclear weapons and certainly without the ability to deploy them. A reasonable solution is for China to take control of NKorea's nuclear program and assure there will be no proliferation. NKorea and the UN sign a peace treaty. America withdraws its forces from SKorea.  A mechanism for inspection is part of the agreement.

To enable such an  agreement- the UK would be part of this negotiation as they are part of the United Nations Command.  I can understand why British citizens might be hesitant to be involved in a war with NKorea just as Americans do not want war.  Britain has a number of problems that need to be addressed just as America has numerous issues that could better be taken care of with the money that is currently being expended on defense.

One of the issues which makes discussion so contentious is the bombastic rhetoric of Donald Trump who seems to be aggravating an already tense situation.  I am somewhat hopeful his comments are bluster and he is readily controlled by more cautious American military and members of Congress. In addition, I am not aware of any large scale movement of US forces and US  aircraft into  Northeast or Southeast Asia which would be needed to wage a conflict.

If NKorea waas smart they would stop testing missiles and certainly never launch a nuclear weapons test over the Pacific. Let's hope the Chinese have the ability and will to tell Kim in no uncertain terms there is a line which he dare not cross.

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Any legitimate evidence and sources for your claim?

Or simple racism?

I have reasons to believe so. 30 years back when I had an accident while on vacation in England I was admitted to the Stoke Mandaville Hospital (world famous for spinal injuries at that time) Everybody was so kind and so understanding I never believe they would attack any small country.

The first mistake was the Falk Island attacking a poor little country. Then the worst and most shocking Britain join USA in attacking another small country Iraq. That was unforgivable. I could not believe Britain has lost its common sense. With that the IQ has dropped so badly. The average British do not think anymore. If they had staged a long nation wide strike to oppose the Iraq war I would think they had used their brains even though they would suffer economically (for the working class particularly).

Iraq war veterans are committing suicide because they had been lied to by the government to murder unarmed civilians. With their big brother they loot the museum of gold, go do some research, I don't say this to shame anyone, it's a fact but all covered up.

Now Britain wants to fight a small agrarian country. History will record this as a aggression by a feudal country on a small country. Yes, Britain has gone back to be a Feudal lord. Of course the big Lordship in white house will reward Britain for the bootlicking.

7 minutes ago, madusa said:

I have reasons to believe so. 30 years back when I had an accident while on vacation in England I was admitted to the Stoke Mandaville Hospital (world famous for spinal injuries at that time) Everybody was so kind and so understanding I never believe they would attack any small country.

The first mistake was the Falk Island attacking a poor little country. Then the worst and most shocking Britain join USA in attacking another small country Iraq. That was unforgivable. I could not believe Britain has lost its common sense. With that the IQ has dropped so badly. The average British do not think anymore. If they had staged a long nation wide strike to oppose the Iraq war I would think they had used their brains even though they would suffer economically (for the working class particularly).

Iraq war veterans are committing suicide because they had been lied to by the government to murder unarmed civilians. With their big brother they loot the museum of gold, go do some research, I don't say this to shame anyone, it's a fact but all covered up.

Now Britain wants to fight a small agrarian country. History will record this as a aggression by a feudal country on a small country. Yes, Britain has gone back to be a Feudal lord. Of course the big Lordship in white house will reward Britain for the bootlicking.

No argument re Iraq, as for the Falkland Islands and South Georgia, you are way off side old son

3 hours ago, madusa said:

Try reading a little history about the Falklands conflict and the Iraq war.

Firstly

Argentina attacked and occupied South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands and then attacked and occupied the Falkland Islands and NOT the other way around.

Secondly

The UK went to war in Iraq because the Iraqis attacked and occupied Kuwait and the legitmate Kuwaiti government asked for help from the USA, UK and many other countries in the world helped at that time including Germany France, Italy and several more.

Thirdly

Who says that the UK has or will declare war on N Korea?

Only a newspaper report.

Before you post stuff like that try reseaching the subject first. It may open your eyes to the truth and the facts.

12 hours ago, baboon said:

Not these old canards again...

1. When the DPRK roll their tanks into a foreign countries as Hitler did then let's start comparing the situation to WW II.

2. No we have not been negotiating with them on their nuclear weapons program for most of the past 40 years or more.

3. Since talks and negotiations have led to sanction after sanction, how is that benefiting them, exactly? 

Not all this same nonsense again...

1.  Oh OK, so whose tanks WERE they that rolled into and until Inchon, mostly across, S. Korea in June 1950?

2.  Oh, was it only 39?  LOL  Negotiating, just not successfully and the inbred dictators there just keep breaking the agreements.

3.  They're "sanctions".  They're not supposed to be "benefiting" them; they're supposed to be disincentivizing them from their nuclear development.  'Sanctions which only benefit them in the sense of being far too lenient and allowing them to continue their human rights abominations, their acts of war, and last but not least their nuclear development.

15 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Not all this same nonsense again...

1.  Oh OK, so whose tanks WERE they that rolled into and until Inchon, mostly across, S. Korea in June 1950?

2.  Oh, was it only 39?  LOL  Negotiating, just not successfully and the inbred dictators there just keep breaking the agreements.

3.  They're "sanctions".  They're not supposed to be "benefiting" them; they're supposed to be disincentivizing them from their nuclear development.  'Sanctions which only benefit them in the sense of being far too lenient and allowing them to continue their human rights abominations, their acts of war, and last but not least their nuclear development.

1. Korean tanks.

2. No, nothing like it. Trump tweets aren't the exact, literal and absolute truth, believe it or not.

3. So you agree with me, then.

On 10/9/2017 at 2:21 PM, billd766 said:

There are probably plenty of admirals they could send, and with a bit of work HMS Victory could be brought back into active service but they would have to send the press gangs out on the streets of Portsmouth to get a crew for it.

Don't forget the Mary Rose. With just a lick of paint and some serious TLC, she'd be 'okay' to sail-off; IMHO too. :whistling:

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

Try reading a little history about the Falklands conflict and the Iraq war.

Firstly

Argentina attacked and occupied South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands and then attacked and occupied the Falkland Islands and NOT the other way around.

Secondly

The UK went to war in Iraq because the Iraqis attacked and occupied Kuwait and the legitmate Kuwaiti government asked for help from the USA, UK and many other countries in the world helped at that time including Germany France, Italy and several more.

Thirdly

Who says that the UK has or will declare war on N Korea?

Only a newspaper report.

Before you post stuff like that try reseaching the subject first. It may open your eyes to the truth and the facts.

Two gulf wars, first justified yes I think so, second justified no way

In reference to the Falklands, I concur that Britain had every right to engage Argentina as Argentina invaded a British territory and tried to occupy and seize it. In fact, America supported the British invasion from Ascension Island in the way of fuel for aircraft and ships and intelligence via satellite images.

In reference to the First Gulf War- Iraq invaded Kuwait and attempted to incorporate Kuwait into Iraq. Kuwait requested assistance and both the US and Britain sent forces to retake Kuwait. Both British and American Forces destroyed the Iraq Army on the 'highway of death' in 100 hours

The Second Gulf War is where people and historians have difficulty in determining the justification for both American and British entry. The alleged Weapons of Mass Destruction never existed yet supposedly US Intelligence claimed they did exist and this was a pretext for US and British entry into Iraq. I do not understand why British Intelligence service  went along with the American intelligence 'error' or had both countries decided that the removal of Saddam Hussein serve some other desired end.

IMHO  it is completely understandable why some British citizens and some Americans doubt the NKorea issue and the alleged 'rush' to war.  I do not believe the Americans are lying about the NKorea threat since both SKorea and Japan are on board. As far as British involvement- the UK needs to always be ready to handle both internal and external threats. Should NKorea attack American or one of its  overseas territories- the UK as part of Nato will respond.

Since we are speaking of whether the UK should prepare for war- while I believe they should; at the end of the day- it is up to citizens of the UK to decide the direction of their country.

14 hours ago, madusa said:

I didnt realise that the people from Stoke Mandaville had attacked a small country ???

I am also glad you think that we should not have gone into Iraq...it was far easier to sit back and watch the Bath Party systematically murder people at will and try and wipe out all the Kurds in the northern part of Iraq by using Gas and other such means.  Well done 

Can I get the copy of the history book where is says the UK attacked the Falklands?  Funny, I thought it was the Argies? 

Edited by Caps