Alternative to Dunlop for 150 CBR

Randell

I come back to the font of wisdom that I have always found here on this forum. I have tried the archives but couldn't find anything in my searches about alternative tires for CBR150. I only have 20k Kms on the originals but have had to have two plugs put in the back tire  the first one leaked after  4 months so now have a bigger hole than the original puncture and assume that it will leak again. Plus this original Dunlops really don't have much tread and I find them quite slippery. As I don't ride fast or aggressively  I don't really use the slick quality of them for the twisties and such. So would like something with a bit more grip and rain shedding abilities. What would you suggest?

thanks ahead of time 

Randell

• 5 months later...

I realized I never added my conclusion to my question and answers I got. I did indeed take you collective advise and bought MPS. The only size he had was one size up for both 110  and 140  from the original Dunlope of 100  and 130. I am well pleased with the tires. It took a bit of getting used to the different fell and the slightly larger tire seemed to take a bit more lean to react compared with the Dunlope but probably just the size difference there. They make the bike seem faster 555 what I mean by that is the different size make the speedo register faster I think unless I have it backwards. Anyway just wanted to conclude the original post and apologize for the lengthy delay I just plumb forgot. Its interesting to me how such a small change in tire size changes the odometer quite remarkably. I knew it would but its seem by a lot I have measured one of my daily walks at 6 kms and now the new reading is 4.8. Not important unless I am trying to use the maps for a turn off. Is there a calculation I can use to help in those cases? 

If you use this formula for both OEM tyre and your new one (perhaps not so new by now), you'll get a good idea of difference in tyre diameter:-

Tyre Diameter = ((Tyre section x 2) x (Aspect Ratio/100)) + (Wheel diameter inches x 25.4))

Say you have a 130/80-17 OEM tyre and 140/80-17 as a replacement:-

OEM tyre diameter = ((130 x 2) x (80/100)) + (17 x 25.4) = (260 x 0.8) + (17 x 25.4) = 640 mm

Replacement tyre diameter = ((140 x 2) x (80/100)) + (17 x 25.4) = (280 x 0.8) + 432 = 656 mm 

So replacement tyre is (656/640) x 100% = 102.5% (2.5%) bigger in diameter (and also circumference) than OEM tyre.

Larger diameter on front >> speedo reads lower than actual speed (assuming speedo drives from front wheel) and vice versa.

Larger diameter on rear >> higher speed (2.5% more in this scenario) for given engine rpm. but maybe slight reduction in acceleration. 

Archived