Introduction to immigration in Buri Ram

Billy Bloggs

On 10/11/2017 at 6:53 AM, sinbin said:

You don't do the TM30 report. Your landlord does. Not your concern.

Yes, the TM30 is the landlord's responsibility, but most would agree that it's actually the farang that gets shafted if it's not done.

Buriram Immi is a new office, and IMHO is a much more relaxed atmosphere than where we previously had to go (Kap Cheong Immi in Surin Province)

Last Monday I visited Buriram Immi for TM30 requirement. All I took was my passport and a photocopy of my wife's ID card.

IO guy said "Wife not come ?"

"No, she busy" I replied

IO guy said "OK, no problem. You call her, I talk with her" 

Her talked with my wife for 2 minutes on the phone, asking to verify that I lived with her at the address shown on her ID card.

He entered the details into his computer, gave me a receipt to show that I'd done the TM30. No paperwork required.

"See you again in 90 days for report" he said with a pleasant smile.

The whole thing only took 10 minutes of my time to comply with Immi's TM30 requirement and stay legal.

And yes, I dressed in smart casual.

1 hour ago, electric said:

Yes, the TM30 is the landlord's responsibility, but most would agree that it's actually the farang that gets shafted if it's not done.

Most??? Where do you get that from? Have you done a poll? The farang doesn't get shafted as he isn't responsible for the fine. If he pays the fine on behalf of his landlord,  that is 'up to him'.

1 hour ago, electric said:

And yes, I dressed in smart casual.

And your point is??

2 hours ago, sinbin said:

Most??? Where do you get that from? Have you done a poll? The farang doesn't get shafted as he isn't responsible for the fine. If he pays the fine on behalf of his landlord,  that is 'up to him'.

Yes, you are quite correct about "most". I didn't conduct a poll, so I humbly retract my "most" comment.

My point was that I know of situations where expats have attempted to do 90 day reports, or other visa related issues, only to be advised by Immi that due to not submitting a TM30 some time previously, a fine is now outstanding, and needs to be paid before any further Immi dealings.

This is a sword hanging over the expats head, as suddenly the TM30 has become his problem. He needs to get the landlord, or wife to clear the fine so he can get on with his normal Immi issues, which often have some time urgency to them.

If the landlord or wife decline to pay the fine, the expat is somewhat screwed .... in no mans land.

Smart casual ? I believe that attending any professional office is best done looking reasonably respectable, rather than in beach attire. Especially so when the guy behind the desk holds all the aces.

25 minutes ago, electric said:

I believe that attending any professional office is best done looking reasonably respectable, rather than in beach attire. Especially so when the guy behind the desk holds all the aces.

I somewhat agree with you but to slag off other expats, as the OP did, because they choose to dress in what makes them feel comfortable is wrong. As the Thais say 'up to you'. And if I go into a government office I expect the staff to be dressed appropriately in their uniforms. But Buriram IO doesn't. They wear a mishmash of uniform and home casual wear.

I've never seen or heard of anyone being refused service at an IO because of their attire. It may have happened in the likes of Pattaya but not downtown Buriram, Korat or Kap Choeng.

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:13 PM, Billy Bloggs said:

now I really only wanted to do my report for changed of address

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:53 AM, sinbin said:

You don't do the TM30 report. Your landlord does. Not your concern

He was filing a TM28 - Change of Address which is the foreigners responsibility.

What makes you think it is the Landlords responsibility to file the TM30?

What happens if your landlord lives in the US or some other Country, think he's gonna fly back on your behalf?

31 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

He was filing a TM28 - Change of Address which is the foreigners responsibility.

I think his lady was filling the TM30 as she holds the lease. Unless I read it wrong? Please read this to understand TM28. 

What makes you think it is the Landlords responsibility to file the TM30?

Basically, with the TM030 form, the government aims to know exactly where each foreigner is staying all the time. Every host, no matter Thai or foreigner, has the obligation to report the stay of a foreigner within 24 hours.

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-the-tm-30-form-all-you-need-to-know-about-it-and-why-it-matters-to-you-p172

What happens if your landlord lives in the US or some other Country, think he's gonna fly back on your behalf?

Not my problem. Up to Immigration on how they deal with it. But as far as I'm aware TM30 notifications can be done online. But don't hold your breath.

31 minutes ago, sinbin said:

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-the-tm-30-form-all-you-need-to-know-about-it-and-why-it-matters-to-you-p172

Not my problem. Up to Immigration on how they deal with it. But as far as I'm aware TM30 notifications can be done online. But don't hold your breath.

This is Thailand, not La La Land.

Rather than read unofficial websites or listen to  barstool talk, download yourself a copy Of the Thai Immigration Act.

Read sections 37 and 38 about address reporting and who can be deemed responsible for what.

Then read section 4 for the definition of a 'House master' who could responsible for filing the TM30.

“ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of
owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

So, it could well be your problem. You could be hit with the fine.

Of course with your attitude, you'd refuse to pay as it's not your problem

However next time you visit Immigration for an extension or to do a 90 day report, expect them to refuse because of an unpaid fine.

Now it becomes your problem.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

However next time you visit Immigration for an extension or to do a 90 day report, expect them to refuse because of an unpaid fine.

Now it becomes your problem.

Not my problem the wife got fined 500 Baht a little over 3 months ago when she did my 90 day report. She was casually dressed and wore make-up. Didn't do her any good looking smart.

Anyone know what the expected attire for ladies actually is? My wife doesn't suit dark colours. :smile:

A PS:-  Buriram do not require for you to attach a photo of yourself when filling out a Extension Renewal. So cancel the photo's on things to take with you. All's good.

4 hours ago, sinbin said:

I somewhat agree with you but to slag off other expats, as the OP did, because they choose to dress in what makes them feel comfortable is wrong. As the Thais say 'up to you'. And if I go into a government office I expect the staff to be dressed appropriately in their uniforms. But Buriram IO doesn't. They wear a mishmash of uniform and home casual wear.

I've never seen or heard of anyone being refused service at an IO because of their attire. It may have happened in the likes of Pattaya but not downtown Buriram, Korat or Kap Choeng.

There is a poster up in Korat immigration It shows what visitors are expected to wear. People have been refused service for wearing inappropriate attire.

15 minutes ago, puchooay said:

There is a poster up in Korat immigration It shows what visitors are expected to wear.

Originally it was in the old TOT office 12 km heading to BKK about 9 years ago. I've never saw it either in Korat, Chok Chai, Buriram or Kap Choeng offices. Haven't used Korat since they kicked us out and made us report to Kap Choeng. Right I've found it.

Immigration Division 1

On 10/10/2017 at 8:32 PM, DILLIGAD said:

A school or University uniform/blazer always looks like your a respectable member of the local community, in the same way as a work permit/tax receipts!

Uniforms of  respectability/ conformity , are  often used as a

disguise,  to hide a person of dubious character . I should know.

PS , who is hiding under their beards .555

1 hour ago, sinbin said:

Nothing wrong with facial hair is there, as some feel that it makes a person look dirty and smelly?

My grandfather was always a very clean shaven man.

But then my Grandma would always say why grow freely on your face what grows freely on your ar*e.

On 10/10/2017 at 7:42 PM, puchooay said:

Good point about attire, Billy.

I cringe sometimes when I see how people turn up at immigration.

The offices in Korat have even posted do and don't photos and turn people away who are not correctly attired.

I'm sure that shopping malls have different views than immigration. I also guess that military personnel would not be permitted to wear shorts when in an being interviewed by officers about official matters.

Well here are a couple of officers chatting about something.....and shock horror, they are wearing shorts! (And the one on the right is at least a Major-General.)

bermudashortsarmyphoto.jpg

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Getting away from acceptable attire, I'll ask again.

Has anyone successfully completed a conversion process at Buriram, from a Visa exempt, or Tourist Visa, to an extension of stay based on retirement.

Hi Tansohi. You need to convert your visa exempt or Tourist Visa to Non-O first. That gives you 3 more months in Thailand. Before the 3 months are up, you apply for 1 year extension based on retirement, or marriage.

3 years ago I converted my Tourist Visa to Non-O based on marriage at Kap Cheong Immi (Surin), before Buriram Immi opened.

Was told by many learned expats in Buriram Province that it couldn't be done, so I visited KCI personally to ask. Can do, the Captain said. I believe that I may have been the first ever to successfully achieve this.

My point being, I really think it would be worth making a personal visit to Buriram Immi to ask them direct. Non-O based on retirement is slightly easier than marriage, so hopefully no reason why they can't do a conversion for you.

Cheers, and best of luck.

9 hours ago, pearciderman said:

Well here are a couple of officers chatting about something.....and shock horror, they are wearing shorts! (And the one on the right is at least a Major-General.)

bermudashortsarmyphoto.jpg

Indeed and they are in a field. Doesn't look like there is any official interview going on either.

Looks like you need a different photo to make your point.

LOL glad I started this , pics of military in shorts(on patrol in a river I believe) a couple  out in a field discussing how to stuff up the next advance and cost more troops lives(notice the long socks worn, (now a days with sandals by some) and the pith helmet always a nice touch) I could post a few of flight lines where the attire was shorts, work boots and socks and ear muffs.

To just clarify a TM 30 was required for my lady not to get fined(yes you can do them online but you have to be registered and it is mainly for hotels and boarding houses etc and I dont think they register individuals) so that was part of what we wanted to do.

It was not however what we asked to do at the start but what they decided we should do first while we waited for our IO to arrive and the TM28 is what I really wanted to do which was done with no problems what so ever.

Sorry I even mentioned the attire thing, it was a personal thing(as I sit here typing this in a pair of shorts and a singlet and bare feet) that I dont find the correct way to be, but I would never force my way of thinking or being on to anyone as we are all individuals. But good to see that people in all types of attire get treated equally it seems.

5 hours ago, electric said:

Hi Tansohi. You need to convert your visa exempt or Tourist Visa to Non-O first. That gives you 3 more months in Thailand. Before the 3 months are up, you apply for 1 year extension based on retirement, or marriage.

3 years ago I converted my Tourist Visa to Non-O based on marriage at Kap Cheong Immi (Surin), before Buriram Immi opened.

Was told by many learned expats in Buriram Province that it couldn't be done, so I visited KCI personally to ask. Can do, the Captain said. I believe that I may have been the first ever to successfully achieve this.

My point being, I really think it would be worth making a personal visit to Buriram Immi to ask them direct. Non-O based on retirement is slightly easier than marriage, so hopefully no reason why they can't do a conversion for you.

Cheers, and best of luck.

Hi yes thanks,

I was asking on behalf of a friend in Buriram. He screwed up his O-A Visa, so got a 30 day Visa exempt entry but left it to late to do a conversion.

I told him to get a 30 day extension, which he has, and now he's preparing his documents to do the conversion to Non Imm O and retirement extension. I've run him through the procedure, forms and documents required, but he tells me when he applied for the 30 day extension and mentioned coming back to do the conversion, the IO said he'd have to get a Visa across the border first, or for a fee he could handle it.

Anyway I've sent my friend back today with a TM87, TM7 and all his documents.

Hopefully he gets a different more honest IO.

I just wondered if anyone else had successfully completed the conversion process at Buriram since all Immigration offices have been informed to handle these types of applications themselves now.

20 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Hi yes thanks,

I was asking on behalf of a friend in Buriram. He screwed up his O-A Visa, so got a 30 day Visa exempt entry but left it to late to do a conversion.

I told him to get a 30 day extension, which he has, and now he's preparing his documents to do the conversion to Non Imm O and retirement extension. I've run him through the procedure, forms and documents required, but he tells me when he applied for the 30 day extension and mentioned coming back to do the conversion, the IO said he'd have to get a Visa across the border first, or for a fee he could handle it.

Anyway I've sent my friend back today with a TM87, TM7 and all his documents.

Hopefully he gets a different more honest IO.

I just wondered if anyone else had successfully completed the conversion process at Buriram since all Immigration offices have been informed to handle these types of applications themselves now.

He won't have much luck today. They are closed.

Jeez, my old girl is in the shit!   

Since I've been working overseas and instead of us living in Oz, I have visited I guess 20 times at her home in Isaan over the last 2 years,...she wouldn't know what a TM 20/9/36/69/99 or whatever was, like 99% of other Thais. And certainly hasn't filled one in.

Good mates with local chief cop and one active army general (she went to school with them) and a recently retired general and his missus,

So its not as though my presence here is a well kept secret.

Maybe she will be caught and  ( I) have to pay the fine...who knows?

Archived