Introduction to immigration in Buri Ram

Billy Bloggs

Ok so after 2 and a bit years in Chiang Mai, I got talked into going to Isaan by the girl and after arriving on friday duly presented myself at Buri Ram immigration on monday morning to get the change of address stuff sorted, after CM(where you arrive before day break) I left not overly early but about 8.10 from Lam Plai Mat, after a nice ride on the Nmax and only 3 idiots going the wrong way on the highway we arrived at the Provincial offices at about 8.35 and found our way to the office on the 3rd floor.

Took a number which didnt mean much as the worker for our station wasnt in yet he apparently had to do some requirements on the way in, no biggie as after letting a few others go ahead one of the other officers got us started on the form, not long after this the IO turned up and helped us with the paperwork( the place had now started to fill with people waiting for whatever they came in for), now I really only wanted to do my report for changed of address and my girls having an alien staying(as we put the lease in her name, they mainly worried about the alien staying thing and as an afterthought did my change of address without me filling in the form, he was most helpful and got things done as quickly as possible even cracking a joke or two, maybe it was as I was dressed in long pants(just ex trackie pants and a collared shirt) and talked easily with him) I must say at this point some of the other customers(it maybe my upbringing and 20 years in the military) were less than well attired actually they were grubby and shorts and a singlet really isnt the attire to wear anywhere other than your own abode, so I felt slight ashamed by my fellow customers on this day.

But other than that after CM it was a breeze and I felt actually like I wasn't a problem but someone they would be happy to see again(mainly even perhaps as it would keep them in a job)

48 minutes ago, Billy Bloggs said:

I must say at this point some of the other customers(it maybe my upbringing and 20 years in the military) were less than well attired actually they were grubby and shorts and a singlet really isnt the attire to wear anywhere other than your own abode, so I felt slight ashamed by my fellow customers on this day.

Even the military wear shorts as I well know being ex myself. Only excused if you have a doctors note. And wearing shorts isn't discourteous. It not the dress it's the manner in which you display yourself. And before you should feel ashamed of your fellow customers you should read the newspapers on how certain Thais display themselves abroad ie shopping malls. Oh yeah it works both ways.

You should have just stuck to the facts instead of criticising others. Would have been a worthy post then.

Image result for soldiers wearing shorts

Good point about attire, Billy.

I cringe sometimes when I see how people turn up at immigration.

The offices in Korat have even posted do and don't photos and turn people away who are not correctly attired.

I'm sure that shopping malls have different views than immigration. I also guess that military personnel would not be permitted to wear shorts when in an being interviewed by officers about official matters.

19 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Good point about attire, Billy.

I cringe sometimes when I see how people turn up at immigration.

The offices in Korat have even posted do and don't photos and turn people away who are not correctly attired.

I'm sure that shopping malls have different views than immigration. I also guess that military personnel would not be permitted to wear shorts when in an being interviewed by officers about official matters.

Might be better now they have aircon but I am buggerred if I am going to sit there in strides when it is 35 degrees.

People (immigration/military) who expect you to 'dress up' to see them must have a huge inferiority complex. Tin soldiers certainly applies to immigration/government where status is determined by how many Blue Peter, or Boy Scout, badges you have.

Sensible, smart casual attire, to suit the local climate is more than adequate.

I agree that flip-flops and singlets are not what I would wear to such a meeting.

I also think it is also about how you conduct yourself (and I don't mean ass-kissing or bringing gifts for IO's) - which should always be polite, courteous and business-like.

Oh dear, this has turned into one of THOSE threads. 

The Immigration police sit there all day in their uniforms, or at least 'correctly' attired and they manage quite well in their air conditioned offices. I don't think that the short walk from your doubtless air conditioned car into an air conditioned office building merits the excuse for wearing shorts. In six years I only once went to Immigration in shorts and that was because I only realised I had forgotten to change when I got there.

Thais do look at how you are dressed, they Start at your shoes and go on from there. Not many Thais turn up at official offices in shorts and T-shirts. Just accept that turning up looking like a slob won't be in your favour if you have some kind of a problem.  

Farangs slipping the man ฿1000.- for a 90 day report? Now that IS annoying.  

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

Oh dear, this has turned into one of THOSE threads. 

The Immigration police sit there all day in their uniforms, or at least 'correctly' attired and they manage quite well in their air conditioned offices. I don't think that the short walk from your doubtless air conditioned car into an air conditioned office building merits the excuse for wearing shorts. In six years I only once went to Immigration in shorts and that was because I only realised I had forgotten to change when I got there.

Thais do look at how you are dressed, they Start at your shoes and go on from there. Not many Thais turn up at official offices in shorts and T-shirts. Just accept that turning up looking like a slob won't be in your favour if you have some kind of a problem.  

Farangs slipping the man ฿1000.- for a 90 day report? Now that IS annoying.  

The day I give a monkey's cuss about what a Thai immigration officer thinks of me .... will never come.

They are told what to wear and, like Thai society, is based on hierarchy and subservience.

Certainly not advocating turning up like a slob - just appropriately dressed.

Remember, an A-hole is still an A-hole whether he wears trousers or not. Judging people by what they are , and what they do, is far better than judging them by what they wear................ too many are fooled by that.

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

The day I give a monkey's cuss about what a Thai immigration officer thinks of me .... will never come.

They are told what to wear and, like Thai society, is based on hierarchy and subservience.

Certainly not advocating turning up like a slob - just appropriately dressed.

Remember, an A-hole is still an A-hole whether he wears trousers or not. Judging people by what they are , and what they do, is far better than judging them by what they wear................ too many are fooled by that.

You really do have a chip on your shoulder, don't you?

You will give a monkey's what's it the day you realise that the guy has taken a dislike to you, doesn't trust you and has it in his power to do terrible things to you. 

On 10/9/2017 at 8:37 PM, sinbin said:

And before you should feel ashamed of your fellow customers you should read the newspapers on how certain Thais display themselves abroad ie shopping malls.

We're talking shopping malls in Germany and airport. Obviously my comment went so far over your head it was in outer-space. Go read the farang newspapers.

30 minutes ago, cooked said:

Just accept that turning up looking like a slob won't be in your favour if you have some kind of a problem.  

Same as per my comment above.

12 minutes ago, cooked said:

You will give a monkey's what's it the day you realise that the guy has taken a dislike to you, doesn't trust you and has it in his power to do terrible things to you. 

You could be dressed to the nines but will it get you a better service? Not IMO. My comment above applies. 

27 minutes ago, cooked said:

You really do have a chip on your shoulder, don't you?

Grow up!

They are just government officials.

57 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

A school or University uniform/blazer always looks like your a respectable member of the local community, in the same way as a work permit/tax receipts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the effect of the blazer would soon be nullified by the lack of understanding of "your" and "you're".

On 10/9/2017 at 8:13 PM, Billy Bloggs said:

I really only wanted to do my report for changed of address

You don't do the TM30 report. Your landlord does. Not your concern.

On 10/9/2017 at 8:13 PM, Billy Bloggs said:

he was most helpful and got things done as quickly as possible even cracking a joke or two, maybe it was as I was dressed in long pants(just ex trackie pants and a collared shirt) and talked easily with him)

The guy you're talking about is called Khun Arcade. Do not think he gave you preferential treatment cuz you wore 'long pants'. I first met the guy 12 years ago when he worked at Kap Choeng IO. I wore shorts then and I wore shorts last week when I spoke with him last. The guy ain't no sticker for the dress rules.

To prove I'm correct in who we're talking about, he has a short goaty beard. Usually he sits at the desk on the left as you face the officers.

Even the military wear shorts as I well know being ex myself. Only excused if you have a doctors note. And wearing shorts isn't discourteous. It not the dress it's the manner in which you display yourself. And before you should feel ashamed of your fellow customers you should read the newspapers on how certain Thais display themselves abroad ie shopping malls. Oh yeah it works both ways.

You should have just stuck to the facts instead of criticising others. Would have been a worthy post then.

The lead man being that rarest of beasts, a left handed SLR operator.

From my experience of going to a couple Immigration Offices in Isaan, all they care about is you have the relevant papers in order and if at least one of the couple has a basic understanding of the system so they do not need to spoon feed everything. 

They would rather serve a guy in flip flops and shorts that takes a couple of minutes as everything is already done for them, than a guy dressed in a suit who has no papers in order and is constantly arguing with his Mrs about the process. 

2 hours ago, sinbin said:

The guy you're talking about is called Khun Arcade. Do not think he gave you preferential treatment cuz you wore 'long pants'. I first met the guy 12 years ago when he worked at Kap Choeng IO. I wore shorts then and I wore shorts last week when I spoke with him last. The guy ain't no sticker for the dress rules.

To prove I'm correct in who we're talking about, he has a short goaty beard. Usually he sits at the desk on the left as you face the officers.

Last time I was there he was concerned about being moved out of the Buriram office....

He is the sharpest of the spanners in that particular tool box. His service to me was excellent - and I too was only wearing shorts (tailored).

5 hours ago, cooked said:

They are police officers.

That would only lessen their credibility.

They look like government officials, act like government officials and will be government officials once the Immigration Bureau is separated from the RTP.

6 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

They look like government officials, act like government officials and will be government officials once the Immigration Bureau is separated from the RTP.

It is because they are government officials. All police who pass the test are government officials, have the same ID as other officials and receive the same benefits as government officials. 

11 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Would like to have some of that stuff your smoking as that dream of separation will never happen.:ph34r:

31 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Would like to have some of that stuff your smoking as that dream of separation will never happen.:ph34r:

But it must be right Kwaibah....... I read it on Wikipedia....:smile:

Immigration Bureau

Plans are to separate from the Royal Thai Police to become an independent authority.

6 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

From my experience of going to a couple Immigration Offices in Isaan, all they care about is you have the relevant papers in order and if at least one of the couple has a basic understanding of the system so they do not need to spoon feed everything. 

They would rather serve a guy in flip flops and shorts that takes a couple of minutes as everything is already done for them, than a guy dressed in a suit who has no papers in order and is constantly arguing with his Mrs about the process. 

I just got back from Buriram to do my Extension. Low and behold there wasn't an Immigration Officer in there wearing uniform. Khun Arcade, who served me, was wearing jeans and t-shirt. The other 2 men were wearing trousers of sorts plus t-shirts and the two women who work in there were dressed in black civis. The men were also wearing body warmers and there were no indication that they were Thai Immigration Officers. No names available. No picture ID labels around their necks. No plaques on their desks. 

I think the OP has a form of Stockholm Syndrome. Get over it they're just people, the same as us all. 

7 hours ago, stereolab said:

The lead man being that rarest of beasts, a left handed SLR operator.

He's carrying a Belgian FN. And if it is for a left hander I'd be highly surprised.

lol, I had the same reaction as many.  I was in nodding my head in agreement at the OP, I like buriram immigration much more than my previous station.  They don't seem so annoyed with farangs, almost like they are happy we chose to settle in Buriram. 

And then the critique of folks in shorts SMH...  FWIW I wear shorts cuz I go there on a motorbike, and it's comfortable.  I do wear a polo shirt usually, but that's just an individual choice.  I think what happens here is a bit of Stockholm Syndrom as sinbin above puts it.  But you guys are probably the conformist types that sit around worrying what others think of you all the time in your home countries as well, and then you sugar coat it with talk of "face" and "when in rome..." but really it's just silly insecurity.

Live and let live, don't sit around in judgement of your fellow man.

On 09/10/2017 at 3:37 PM, sinbin said:

Never understood why some farangs in Thailand just looooooove to rant against other farangs [or locals]...maybe it makes them feel superior ? feel more integrated ?....

10 hours ago, sinbin said:

As I said as part of that sentence, the lady I am staying with has to do a TM 30 as Im staying with her as she has the lease not me and I didnt say it was my concern.

No that guy wasnt there but no I dont think long pants would have made a difference, but I know when I had to sit behind a desk and had grubs want help from me it did change my attitude to them if that was right or wrong again thats neither here nor there.

Yeah I wore shorts and no shirt while working on flight lines and arming aircraft and working on bomb ranges, so what does that have to do with anything, oh and overalls and working dress and long sleeve shirts and short sleeve shirts and ties and dress jackets and on and on and on.

Also I dont give a rats arse what Thais or anyone else wears in other countrys.

What I really wasnt clear about I suppose was that the clothes were board shorts and a grubby singlet that were the worst and the sandals(maybe they could have worn long socks with the sandals LMAO) and flip flops, I also rode a scooter the 30 klms there didnt see that shorts would have been an advantage rather worse as my legs would have gotten sun burnt as my arms did.

3 hours ago, sinbin said:

I just got back from Buriram to do my Extension. Low and behold there wasn't an Immigration Officer in there wearing uniform. Khun Arcade, who served me, was wearing jeans and t-shirt. The other 2 men were wearing trousers of sorts plus t-shirts and the two women who work in there were dressed in black civis. The men were also wearing body warmers and there were no indication that they were Thai Immigration Officers. No names available. No picture ID labels around their necks. No plaques on their desks. 

I think the OP has a form of Stockholm Syndrome. Get over it they're just people, the same as us all. 

Only have to wear uniforms on Mondays probably. My new immigration office also doesn't wear uniforms. Will wear the odd vest that says police,  about the closest they will get to some form of uniform. The younger ones may do it as it's all new and exciting for them. 

They once pulled out their own personal chairs and served both the Mrs and I a cool glass of water as they recognised her. I was in flip flops, shorts and a t-shirt. So the flip flops got the preferential treatment in that case haha.

The Mrs, also a government official, will make me wear pants, shoes and shirt to apply for my work permit, but immigration for her is just whatever I feel like on the day in Isaan - so thongs (flip flops) and shorts/t-shirt.

1 hour ago, Billy Bloggs said:

I suggest you should give a RA

No you said 

I really only wanted to do my report for changed of address

I know when I had to sit behind a desk and had grubs want help from me it did change my attitude to them if that was right or wrong again thats neither here nor there.

Sorry I only speak English.

It's 'countries' not 'country's. You're a poser mate who thinks he's one step ahead of the riff raff and needs to be applauded.

14 hours ago, sinbin said:

I suggest you should give a RA

No you said 

Sorry I only speak English.

It's 'countries' not 'country's. You're a poser mate who thinks he's one step ahead of the riff raff and needs to be applauded.

Yes what I said in full was,  now I really only wanted to do my report for changed of address and my girls having an alien staying, which as I said they filled out the for alien staying(and yes she does require to do one of those) for her and did the change of address without me filling out the form.

A poser huh well if you think that its your opinion to have, mine of you would be slightly different.

Oh and by the way which english do you claim to speak( which part of the bit you quoted do you need help with), I actually know very well how to spell but knew if you were the grammar police you would jump all over it.

Archived