Hundreds of share-bikes taken home by renters

webfact

Hundreds of share-bikes taken home by renters

“What we are really worried about the most is the group of people that are taking the bikes home - that number has now reached more than a hundred bikes."

By Nattha Thepbamrung and Kritsada Mueanhawong

22361341_10209723024778005_1326453117_n.

Despite excellent feedback on the share-bike initiative and more than a thousand users per day, the share-bike project is suffering from renters who think that the bikes are “giveaways from the government”. Many users have taken the bike back home and using it as a personal belonging. Some of them have even brought their pick-ups and motor-tricycle (samlor) to take the bikes home.

The General Manager of Ofo Thailand, Noppadon Tujinda, says that the incidents might happen from either selfishness or misunderstanding that the bikes are given away for free.

“I would like to remind people that the bikes are for public use. It is free of charge to use for the first month and this promotion will last until the end of this month. After October 31, there will be a small rental fee and the bikes can be used for point-to-point transport. Apart from the 6 bikes dumped in the canal, we also found that there are some people using the bikes 30-40 kilometres away from the intended locations and rental spots,” he said.

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/hundreds-share-bikes-taken-home-renters

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-10-10

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

even in Singapore they are abusing all these ofo bikes, what makes them think it will be any better here soon social media will be flooded with pics of these abused bikes in canals, under the bridge n yes reports of thousands of loss bikes.. Lmao. 

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Zero chance of this being a commercial success. Be all finished in a couple of months.

I think a good chance of it being a commercial success. But the present trial where people can just take and return whenever they please will of course not work. People have to register beforehand and pay a deposit.

52 minutes ago, trogers said:

An enterprise that relies on the good nature of the working class... what can go wrong?

Hardly.  In order to unlock the bike to ride it, folks in China have to have an app that reads the code on the bike, and the bike sends a signal back telling Ofo (and others) that it's been locked and that ends the rental period.  (Different companies have different mechanisms)  They can trace the bikes.

I'm skeptical of the business model, not because the bikes get stolen- they're super cheap when you buy them from the factory by the thousands.  I'm skeptical because there are so many trucks running around the town where I'm staying in China right now collecting the bikes to move them to where they need to be for the next rush hour of rental.  It's amazing to see a pile that looks like 1,000 bikes of the same color dumped by renters in front of a big factory or a mall, blocking sidewalks and driveways while the renters are working or shopping.

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Zero chance of this being a commercial success. Be all finished in a couple of months.

Wrong.  There are literally millions of them in China and the company is making a killing.  1.5 billion yuan a day.

Also Thailand is not the only place abusing these things.  Australian morons are also throwing them in rivers and under buses.

It is a mentality thing.  What a shame that they cannot stop testosterone and booze from mixing.

2 hours ago, car720 said:

Wrong.  There are literally millions of them in China and the company is making a killing.  1.5 billion yuan a day.

Also Thailand is not the only place abusing these things.  Australian morons are also throwing them in rivers and under buses.

It is a mentality thing.  What a shame that they cannot stop testosterone and booze from mixing.

How can you say such a thing about us Aussies.  Are you suggesting us Aussies have more then the normal share are of testosterone, that our desire to place women on a pedestal  is a bad thing.  I used to drive a school bus I don't remember anyone throwing a bike under the wheels...the wheel on the bus go round and round etc.etc.