Nokia 6 / Moto G5 -- Opinions??

JaiMaai

I'm looking at a new phone to replace my under-powered Samsung J2. (sub 10,000 baht)

Do really want to get another Samsung because they tend to be too full of bloatware so looking at these two.

Does anyone have one and are they good?

Can they be rooted easily?

Do they have any equivalent to Samsung Knox which will screw the warranty if I do root it?

Any good (decent brand) alternatives?

Will be used for facebook / line / Internet and the odd video / tv watching. 

Won't be used for games.

Camera should be good but doesn't need to be fantastic - (selfies not impoertant)

Thanks in advance. 

EDIT:  needs to be dual sim phone

Edited by JaiMaai
added info

Xioami Mi A1, Android One device, 7,990.

You'll have to review the relevant forums on XDA and elsewhere to get a feel to "rootability" on the Nokia/Moto units.

TrueMove H carries both lines (Nokia and Moto - all models) so a good single place to compare models.

What size and weight do you want?  IR?  Removable battery? Waterproof?  Speakers? Bluetooth or headphone port?  How much memory?  What kind of processor?  How many gigs?  New or referb?  New model or year or two old but new?  Note 4 still available new and a great phone when compared to most but not the Note 8 or S7.  I use A5, Note4, S5 and Note 8 GT 5100  Tablet which can make calls.  What is your budget?  Where buy?  Lazada or dealer? 

For what it's worth I just bought an ASUS  Zenfone Go ZB552KL

on sale from Tesco for 2900 baht. They only had the one colour but not a problem as I got a nice case for it on the net.

5.5 inch display

13 MP camera

2 GB ram

Not a cutting edge phone but nonetheless , a lot of phone for the money. Got it because my windows phone stopped supporting skype and had no flash player.

Well pleased with it. The camera is pretty good and when using skype my mother in the UK said the picture was crystal clear. 

Only small winge is that the home button is not quiet centered correctly. You need to tap just on the apex of the roof instead of square on to get back to home.

The speaker is louder than any other phone I have handled if that's important.

Asus Zenfone Go ZB552KL

16 hours ago, amvet said:

What size and weight do you want?  IR?  Removable battery? Waterproof?  Speakers? Bluetooth or headphone port?  How much memory?  What kind of processor?  How many gigs?  New or referb?  New model or year or two old but new?  Note 4 still available new and a great phone when compared to most but not the Note 8 or S7.  I use A5, Note4, S5 and Note 8 GT 5100  Tablet which can make calls.  What is your budget?  Where buy?  Lazada or dealer? 

Size: Bigger than my J2 but fit comfortably in a pocket.

IR: Not required

Removable battery: Would be nice but not essential

Waterproof: Would be nice but not essential

Speakers: not massively important

Headphone port: yes

Memory 2GB

Processor: no preference

Storage: 16GB+

New/refurb: New

Model: anything that will run Nougat

Source: prefer reputable physical store

Budget: below 10,000 baht

Thanks for asking the questions it's reminded me of a couple of points I wasn't considering.

I have been comparing those 2 models you are looking at and checking reviews Etc. the MOTO G5 plus seems to be the winner overall of the 2. Often rated the best mid range phone currently (water resistant is a biggie for me). Cheers!

I had pretty much eliminated the Nokia from consideration due to the lower powered processor and have just taken a trip to the two main hubs to buy phones in Khon Kaen (Central/Tukcom); when I got my hands on the G5 I just went off it. Not sure why but just didn't like the look of it.
I asked a few shops about the Xiaomi and got nothing but blank looks. I know I can buy it online from Lazada or wherever but I'd prefer not to buy without touching the physical product.
I'm in a bit of a quandary now.

Sent from my SM-J200GU using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

I wouldn't buy a new phone with less than 64Gb ROM.

Sorry, typo. Yes, 64 GB ROM and 4 GB RAM as a minimum.

Xioami has limited brick/mortar retail presence here. Some shops in MBK have grey-market Mi A1's, and Xioami just opened their first retail shop last weekend in Imperial World Samrong (Bangkok). They have (had?) the A1 in stock, with local warranty, 7,990.

Edited by mtls2005

• 3 weeks later...