Political activities may be allowed after this month

webfact

Political activities may be allowed after this month

By The Nation

48b2039c63a6507923a3b29ffafa2369.jpg

File photo: Army Chief General Chalermchai Sitthisart

The junta would discuss loosening its grip on political activities after this month, once the Royal Cremation had passed, said secretary-general of the National Council for Peace and Order General Chalermchai Sitthisart.

Chalermchai, also the Army Chief, said the junta would discuss to what extent politicians would be allowed to carry out political activities, given that the political party law has already been passed.

The law sets a number of deadlines for parties to meet before the election. For instance, they have to have at least 500 members within 180 days of the law’s promulgation.

Failing to meet the prescription would make them ineligible to contest the next poll.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30329059

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-11

"The law sets a number of deadlines for parties to meet before the election. For instance, they have to have at least 500 members within 180 days of the law’s promulgation."

And how many parties may that be? Dems, PheuThai, UTuu

Prawit has not spoken since Prayut's election date announcement. With this statement by the Secretary General of the NCPO, I think the election will be held but more significantly it signal that the Prawit's camp is weakening. All along, I see fault lines between Prayut and Prawit and their respective masters struggle for dominance.  

2 minutes ago, wvavin said:

Another "Bangkok Shut Down" would be entertaining.

As both sides would probably have supporters from amongst factions in the military, it could develop into an exchange of something other than political insults....

Prayut if he is not stupid will know by now that the world will cry foul if he or any of his cronies become PM after the election. he must also know fiddling the results will get him in hot water with the world and the Japanese who keep the place open for business. If he or the other crooks start to pull a fast one, Thailand will be closed for business. but they will try wait and see.

Edited by wakeupplease

Talks over lifting of political ban expected after royal cremation: Army chief

By Chalarntorn Yothasmutra

Chalermchai11oct17.jpg

Gen Chalermchai Sittisard, the army commander, said he believes there will be talks over the lifting of the ban on political activities after the royal cremation for the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

The army chief said this when asked to comment on Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha’s remark that the political ban could be lifted after the month of October.

Gen Chalermchai said since the organic law on political parties has come into effect, he believes there will be talks among parties concerned over this matter after the royal cremation.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/talks-lifting-political-ban-expected-royal-cremation-army-chief/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-12

2 hours ago, eliotness said:

So is that why the Chinese tanks arrived early. I remember the protest in a certain square in China where tanks were used to put down a student protest.

I thought similarly when I saw pictures of the Tanks in the press...I do hope we are wrong.

Edited by TKDfella
spelling

16 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Prawit has not spoken since Prayut's election date announcement. With this statement by the Secretary General of the NCPO, I think the election will be held but more significantly it signal that the Prawit's camp is weakening. All along, I see fault lines between Prayut and Prawit and their respective masters struggle for dominance.  

You may be right a power struggle within a power struggle - very interesting history repeats itself once again

9 hours ago, wealthychef said:

How generous of the glorious Thai government to consider allowing their people to have a voice.  I would respect and applaud a more open society.  I am a guest here, and respect whatever Thailand's leaders decide.    

As of the meaning of guest, I will have to consider myself that too. I would make a small modification, though. I "have to" respect whatever Thailand´s leaders decide. :smile:

Everything else is 100% spot on. Must be hard and heavy to give such a gift of freedom to the people.

9 hours ago, wealthychef said:

I am a guest here, and respect whatever Thailand's leaders decide.    

So “respect” = “shut up”? Fair enough. But I tend to lecture my wife on what Democracy looks like... In a Democracy. She nods.