Change to Thai Elite while in Thailand ?

On 10/14/2017 at 4:04 PM, HerbalEd said:

No "strategy" is needed. The TE visa is very easy to obtain. You don't need bank account(s), vehicle, or yellow book. 

What is your strategy supposed to accomplish?

8 hours ago, pearciderman said:

Where do you see it said that it is a long stay tourist visa ?

It first got reported here: 

I did not want to spook anyone from not getting a PE.  As @Mattd points out, these visas are targeting under 50s or even those over 50 that intend to stay in thailand for a while but don't need to have additional obligations (immediate Thai family, employment/business, school/education, retirement obligation, etc) and simply wish to philander enjoy the magic that Thailand has to offer for several consecutive months at a time.  In these cases, the 5 yr / 20 yr elite visa is unique.   Perhaps putting it in the tourist category was the only way they could offer 1-year-per-entry stamps without having to edit the non-immigrant rules.

Here is an example of someone who had an issue with PE and attempting to obtain a yellow book:

YMMV, and some offices (motor vehicle, land registration, etc.) may very well not care at all.

Edited by 4evermaat

• 1 month later...
On 17/10/2017 at 11:19 PM, moogradod said:

Thanks. That's what I call a reasonable application. Why not always like this ?

Will consider the TE despite the cost. I am 62, could as well meet the normal retirement requirements with money in the bank etc. But it starts with the application here in Switzerland for the non-O and continues with the yearly immigration discussions, bank letters in time, not too early not too late etc. We will see.

Depending on where you are going to stay you will be able to find visa agents, that provide support nearly equivalent to TE, for a cost of about 4000/5000 bahts a year.

On 10/16/2017 at 11:31 PM, Psimbo said:

I struggle to understand the benefits of this visa- a retirement permit once a year costs B1900, over ten years this is B19000. Ten multiple entry permits are another 38k.

Either way one still has to do the 90 day reports and notification of address every time you go out of your main residence to another place within or without Thailand. 

People who do the notification of address are just funny people in my opinion.

I never did it and will never do it, with ANY visa.

And usually people who do not understand the benefits or TE are just too poor to understand...

• Like 1

On 10/18/2017 at 10:28 AM, bkk6060 said:

Its not about the money?  Then why try to boast about what you are paying for?

I hope some are not being steered in the wrong direction based on comments about this Visa.

The 90 day reporting you still have to do it is so simple and has never taken me more then 20 minutes.  So that is 80 minutes a year and you say elite assisting with this makes it worth it?  So 100,000 b a year for 80 minutes worth of your time?? Where is the convenience?

My recent year extension took me all of an hour. 

The 800 k that yes is in the bank.  But lets see, you are giving them 500,000 you will never see again so.....

The income verification again took me 30 minutes at my embassy.

Good luck with it but seriously, I hope those thinking about jumping at this Visa seek some sound sensible financial guidance.

What you do not understand is that 100000 thai baht / year = free for so many of us ?

understand ?

31 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

d) "but with the TE visa, at least you do not have to worry about visa issues at all"

This is a delusion, I can tell you that immigration doesn't like TE and is thinking of doing away with it.

Do you have a public source for this, or is it based on something you heard?

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not exactly anything official. From page 2 of 271.

No, but I don't imagine a Thai Immigration Officer providing totally unfounded opinions either. Frankly, between you and me do you think any official line would be more reliable? Also my point is that everything here remains in a state of flux, if TE was concrete maybe I would (re)consider it, but it can't be. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Nonsense

The Thai Elite program has survived 2 coups. One government between coups tried to kill but could not do it. It is not going anywhere. They are even promoting extensively now.

With all due repect, I think what you say here, gives a clue on what's actually going on here, as it shows who might be behind the scheme. "Between coups" and "now" are keywords.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

What you do not understand is that 100000 thai baht / year = free for so many of us ?

understand ?

Don't get you mathematics. I my case 100000/3000000 = 3.33..%. In your case 100000/x=0. So you are pretending to have an "infinity" income? Hard to believe, and what are you doing in Thailand?

Edited by KiChakayan

On 11/22/2017 at 2:45 PM, EcigAmateur said:

People who do the notification of address are just funny people in my opinion.

I never did it and will never do it, with ANY visa.

And usually people who do not understand the benefits or TE are just too poor to understand...

Or too "sour grapes" as the old fable goes to accept that some people like it.

To avoid long stay problems with METV, if I swap to TE it means guaranteed entry to the country?

Has there been any instances of TE members being denied entry into the country for staying to long etc?

Its a dumb question, but the METV on paper seems like a workable way to stay in Thailand for as long as you can get the visa sticker in your passport but I heard stories of those with METV getting denied entry.

Edited by visaTerebi

2 hours ago, visaTerebi said:

To avoid long stay problems with METV, if I swap to TE it means guaranteed entry to the country?

Has there been any instances of TE members being denied entry into the country for staying to long etc?

Its a dumb question, but the METV on paper seems like a workable way to stay in Thailand for as long as you can get the visa sticker in your passport but I heard stories of those with METV getting denied entry.

For those (most who are financially secure) who can get continuous METVs, being denied entry is very unlikely. However, since each entry on an METV only provides a 60-day entry, those using an METV need to negotiate fairly frequent border hops and/or extensions. Further, getting the METVs means trips back to home country a couple of times a year.

Short of being on an immigration watch list for some reason, the chance of being denied entry on a Thailand Elite visa are probably lower than the chance of your plane crashing on the way to Thailand, and you can travel as much or as little as you choose.

• Thanks 1

Although it perhaps doesn't state it, the PE (I believe they are not longer referred to as TE) visa is in reality a long stay tourist visa, as, apart from the year long entries and extensions, it is the same as a tourist visa, i.e. it isn't a non-immigrant type, so you cannot work here whilst holding this visa for example.
Although, it should still be perfectly possible to get a yellow book, open a bank account, buy a vehicle and get a 2 year driving license as a PE visa holder.

They don’t call it a tourist visa but PE visa is not, a non-immigrant visa, then by default it is a long-stay tourist visa.

3 years ago in Chiang Mai the transport office issued me 2 year drivers licenses, but said they would not issue the 5 year upon renewal. Well this year they DID issue me 5 year licenses and supposedly did for other Thailand Elite members. I was told amphur muang Chiangmai will not issue me a yellow book for the condo I own but I might try again.

36 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

They don’t call it a tourist visa but PE visa is not, a non-immigrant visa, then by default it is a long-stay tourist visa.

3 years ago in Chiang Mai the transport office issued me 2 year drivers licenses, but said they would not issue the 5 year upon renewal. Well this year they DID issue me 5 year licenses and supposedly did for other Thailand Elite members. I was told amphur muang Chiangmai will not issue me a yellow book for the condo I own but I might try again.

I got  a 5 year license renewal after a previous 1 year license expired about 3 years ago based on my 5 year visa. This was at the office a few KM north of Cha Am.

I was only expecting a 1 year renewal as it is just an extended tourist visa with slightly different rules so I was pleasantly surprised. I believe they make it up as they go at each office though so it all depends on where you are.

Interestingly enough I live at the south end of Hua Hin and it would be nearer to go to Pranburi but I heard the Cha Am office do less tests, don't bother with the video half the time, etc. That's why I went there.

In and out in 10 minutes 30 minutes before closing.

Edited by ukrules

11 hours ago, Dipterocarp said:

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

I was only expecting a 1 year renewal as it is just an extended tourist visa with slightly different rules so I was pleasantly surprised. I believe they make it up as they go at each office though so it all depends on where you are.

The local amphur office SHOULD be able to do the yellow book, whether you on the condo or have a legit lease.  But YMMV. 

In regards to the class of the TE/PE visa, it is a long stay Tourist visa, NOT a non-immigrant visa.  A different member reported it here:

No big deal.  But some people were under the impression they could obtain work permit, which requires non-immigrant class visa to complete work permit paperwork.