Mayor sets 2-week major beach cleanup

Rimmer

Mayor sets 2-week major beach cleanup

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya’s mayor said the city’s namesake beachfront will be cleaned up within two weeks following unfavorable comparisons to Miami Beach on social media.

Anan Charoenchasri said Oct. 6 that sandbags that have been a fixture on the beach since last year finally will be removed, along with trash, construction scrap and other leftovers from the stalled sand-refill project.

Heavy machinery will be brought in to remove large objects and overturn the sand to make it attractive before next month’s international fleet show.

The cleanup comes after doctored photos of Pattaya Beach were uploaded to Facebook side-by-side with pristine images of the American tropical resort and a favorable comparison of the two.

Online users excoriated the claim, posting their own real-life photos of Pattaya showing sandbags, piles of garbage, concrete obstacles on the footpath, dilapidated tin shacks at the edge of the sand, and homeless people sleeping under the tiny boardwalk.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/mayor-sets-2-week-major-beach-cleanup-188755

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-10-13

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

The cleanup comes after doctored photos of Pattaya Beach were uploaded to Facebook side-by-side with pristine images of the American tropical resort and a favorable comparison of the two.

Before.jpg.5718fa6400a8132f75286c3bff32056e.jpg

Before

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

Heavy machinery will be brought in to remove large objects and overturn the sand

After.jpg.924a55f9089f40c33686f41b8ce4320e.jpg

After

...and so what will be used to remove the "heavy machinery" after it has been parked on the beach for two weeks? :tongue:

The authorities might consider removing the pyramids of stinking, festering rubbish that have been decorating Cozy Beach for the last few years..But of course it is people making a living and providing services that are removed from the beaches.

Edited by The manic

let me explain what our beach has become...each and every one who arrives on a ''cheap tour package''' from china etc,is promised a free ''parasail''..so in the morning the beach becomes nothing more than a boat launch...with sometimes 50 boats waiting to onload tourists..this continues until 1pm..with hundreds of tourists coming and going ..this is the beach ..now the buses must bring the said tourists to the beach from hotels,and return them...the caos starts ar 7am and continues until 2pm..then it is deserted..until 4pm when they same tourists come out to take selfies on the sand..boat owners now leave the boats moored on the beach all night.tied and anchored in the very sand we walk on..we have no more beach,we have a money making piece of sand...until the boats and buses or gone...this is the way it will be...

19 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I heard that the Mayor of Miami has reacted by banning eating, drinking, smoking, umbrellas, and deck chairs on his beach.

Got to keep up with the Joneses.

Your comment deserves more than a simple "LIKE".

Miami also has a topless beach AND another section that is a nude beach.

Thai's would be HORRIFIED! I bet that never made the local news when comparing it to Miami.

I have 10 baht says this whole farce will still be in some committee in 2 weeks.

The 429-million-baht reconstruction of Pattaya Beach was supposed to have been completed in December last year, but never even started due to the inability to find 400,000 cu. meters of matching sand. 

Alas, now we cannot find the 429 million Baht either........:whistling:

continueing to shame pattaya and neighbouring beaches on facebook etc,  is probably an excellent way to shame the local authorities into having a clean-up..any  improvements are better than nothing being done...

in thailand-image is everything----dirty beaches are the  best way to put tourist off visiting thailand...

if only they could realize that any cleanup would be paid for 10-fold by tourist dollars in the long term

2 hours ago, mok199 said:

let me explain what our beach has become...each and every one who arrives on a ''cheap tour package''' from china etc,is promised a free ''parasail''..so in the morning the beach becomes nothing more than a boat launch...with sometimes 50 boats waiting to onload tourists..this continues until 1pm..with hundreds of tourists coming and going ..this is the beach ..now the buses must bring the said tourists to the beach from hotels,and return them...the caos starts ar 7am and continues until 2pm..then it is deserted..until 4pm when they same tourists come out to take selfies on the sand..boat owners now leave the boats moored on the beach all night.tied and anchored in the very sand we walk on..we have no more beach,we have a money making piece of sand...until the boats and buses or gone...this is the way it will be...

I have never seen anything like it. On my first trip to Pattaya, with the jetlag I was up early at 7:30 am,

Cruising around Soi 7 on my scooter looking for a breakfast place. I stopped on beach road to look at

the parasails out on the bay. I counted 28 in the air. How there are not more parasail incidents is

actually quite surprising.

21 hours ago, Rimmer said:

sandbags, piles of garbage, concrete obstacles on the footpath, dilapidated tin shacks at the edge of the sand, and homeless people sleeping under the tiny boardwalk.

Yes, but "apart" from the above "minor" details, everything on the beaches Hunky Dory.

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

The 429-million-baht reconstruction of Pattaya Beach was supposed to have been completed in December last year, but never even started due to the inability to find 400,000 cu. meters of matching sand. 

Alas, now we cannot find the 429 million Baht either........:whistling:

The matching sand is right out there in the ocean.  Just needs to be redistributed on the shore--where it used to be.

9 minutes ago, newnative said:

As usual, only deep shame on social media spurs any action.  Up next, I hope...sidewalks.

What sidewalks? Pattaya has sidewalks? News to me.

Obstacle course I believe. I'm waiting for swinging vines so I can yell like Tarzan as I swing across open drain pits & around vendor stands.

I bet the Chinese would enjoy those swings too!

This beautification is for the benefit of the VIP visitors coming for the regatta next month, and will probably be only a temporary measure.

Until all visitors are treated as VIPs the beach problem will not be solved satisfactorily.

Cannot believe nobody has said this yet, so here ya go.

Clean the beach everyday, till you are blue in the face. Quit dumping garbage & VIOLA! No need to clean the beaches as they wouldn't be first in the first place...Rocket Science.

Ciggy butts are a no-no, fair enough. I learned that 35 years ago when I joined the Army & they taught us to dispose of them properly. Rocket Science at work once again.

Forget about restoring sand to the beaches. The drainage, such as it is, will just wash it all back out. 

A clean ocean & a seawall is the best they'll ever achieve.

6 minutes ago, champers said:

This beautification is for the benefit of the VIP visitors coming for the regatta next month, and will probably be only a temporary measure.

Until all visitors are treated as VIPs the beach problem will not be solved satisfactorily.

We are all VIP's. Cannot count how many times I've been called a handsome man.

Has not happened to me in Miami, Orlando, Daytona, Jacksonville, Tampa yet, & doubt it ever will. 

That's why folks come to Pattaya.:smile:

Take that back. A Filipina in a nightclub in JAX did peel me aside one night, and maybe once more I recall, but the rest I had to wine & dine. What a hassle.

Edited by jaywalker

5 hours ago, mok199 said:

Promised a para sail....or threatened with one?

4 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

Larger "heavy machinery".

Not rocket science. 

With respect Pattaya28 this was a rhetorical question krub. So please don't make me bow my head to you because you feel like writing troll responses. Okay?

Thank you. :wai: