Scottish man dies after motorcycle hits lamppost in Sattahip

rooster59

22 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Especially when combined with alcohol. As that is the rumour going around at the moment. If this is correct, it will mean that Steven is the 2nd Brit, I personally know,who over the last two months, have lost their lives in these circumstances.

I would add that Steven was a very quite and unassuming chap, who like the other Brit I knew, left a very young son, in this case a 8yrs old.

Though no longer shocking ( unfortunately), it always saddens... thanks for the human touch.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

Strange statement to make. Who claimed that helmets will ALWAYS save you, or are you suggesting other options? If this is the case, why not say so? Proper helmets mitigate the effects of an accident, that is what they do. Same as seat belts in a motor vehicle.

The only thing that WILL save you (as a motorcyclist) from motorcycle injuries or death is not to ride one.

BTW - I am a motorcycle owner and rider (and have raced them) for over 50 years. Any 'accident' that you may be involved in, rightly or wrongly (in the eyes of the law), is still likely to hurt you.

Ride SAFELY and enjoy.

Maybe he’s referring to wearing all safety gear, that people don’t take wearing jacket, boots, pants very seriously in SEA and seem to have the belief that if you wear an ice cream lid you’re safe.

I’m not sure, just speculating, but that’s my take on his statement.

10 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

And the suicides stats what drivel you got on that.  The stats by alcohol alliance are subject to disclosure by thai statisticians so my point stands your supplementary BS was noted but swiftly dismissed. Nice try tho

No they are not,you still have not read the paper I linked to, they are independent surveys, quite a poor try this time.

11 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

And the suicides stats what drivel you got on that.  The stats by alcohol alliance are subject to disclosure by thai statisticians so my point stands your supplementary BS was noted but swiftly dismissed. Nice try tho

To quote their criteria,

• Membership of GAPA is open to regional non-governmental organisations (NGO) alliances and coalitions and individual NGOs and institutions. Government bodies, inter-governmental organisations or businesses cannot be members of the Alliance;

Any particular reason you felt the need to make things up?  

23 minutes ago, wvavin said:

Died with a broken neck means probably he did not even have a chance to feel the pain. 

One would hope, depends of severity. I fractured my neck, skull and 2 vertebrae in a motorcycle accident, was in s neck brace and hospital bed for 3 months in a world of pain. 

Edited by MadMuhammad

16 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Pure supposition - what is so alarming is that members seem to be unaware of how incredible ignorant that is - it is just baseless spouting of words to no avail whatsoever.

Up to 90% of acidents are the result of "human error" - not big gaffs, just looking down to check the radio or double checking something in a field and that's all it normally takes - collisions and crashes aen't the preserve of the stupid, they are for everyday, normal people.

radio on a motorbike? interesting

21 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Pure suppostition, in Thailand 62% of traffic accident victims consumed alcohol and 45% of traffic deaths were due to alcohol, turns out it was your comment that was the baseless spouting of words to no avail whatsoever, how incredibly ignorant, lol.

http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/publications/en/thailand.pdf

Oh dear...i think you need to check your source from 2004.....

road daeths attributed to alcohol are about 26% and those with alcohol involved are bout 33% which is the same just about everywhere in the world

Edited by Airbagwill

6 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

To quote their criteria,

• Membership of GAPA is open to regional non-governmental organisations (NGO) alliances and coalitions and individual NGOs and institutions. Government bodies, inter-governmental organisations or businesses cannot be members of the Alliance;

Any particular reason you felt the need to make things up?  

Kieran. Where do you think these agencies obtain the data? Grow up lad.

11 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Oh dear...i think you need to check your source from 2004.....

road daeths attributed to alcohol are about 26% and those with alcohol involved are bout 33% which is the same just about everywhere in the world

The source is an independent survey of NGO's, where does your 26% come from, the government?

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

The source is an independent survey of NGO's, where does your 26% come from, the government?

Your problem like so many others is that you are unable to critically review or understand the info in front of you - it doesn't even say what you think. 

there are literally thousands of papers and documents on road safety out there for you to research - instead you do one SEARCH on google (that isn't research) and then claim as a fact - even though you clearly haven't understood it.

BTW - you paper is 12 years old - try the World Health Organisation again and get up to date.

..and BTW - you are quoting Thai research from over 15 years ago too.

Edited by Airbagwill

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

th crux of the matter is that too many people die on Thai roads and putting it down to "all thais are bad drivers and farangs are unliucky" is just sheer nonsense.

You sir are talking nonsense.

So you are saying that the crazy Thai who was driving the wrong way, u turned illegally , crippling me for live is not a bad driver?

19 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Where do the Red Cross obtain their data, not from the Institue of Health, you grow up, or just wake up.

The above post to the one I'm responding too says it very clearly Google boy. That's no. 50 in case you get confused. The bottom line is you are not worth it.

8 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

The above post to the one I'm responding too says it very clearly Google boy. That's no. 50 in case you get confused. The bottom line is you are not worth it.

The one that reckons that Thai official stats are more reliable that those collected from independent charities and NGO's?  You agree with that nonsense?  Sure, my stat was a little out of date but I would prefer to go with those of the independents than the official stats of the ministries any day.

8 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

8 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

The one that reckons that Thai official stats are more reliable that those collected from independent charities and NGO's?  You agree with that nonsense?  Sure, my stat was a little out of date but I would prefer to go with those of the independents than the official stats of the ministries any day.

Getting boring folks. PM each other please? :sleep:

3 hours ago, The manic said:

Another motor cycle tragedy. Motor bikes kill more people than guns, terrorism and drugs combined. Who are the shadowy figures behind the trade in Motor cycles?

Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati, Aprilia, Hardley Davidson etc? :smile:

17 hours ago, colinneil said:

You sir are talking nonsense.

So you are saying that the crazy Thai who was driving the wrong way, u turned illegally , crippling me for live is not a bad driver?

You are the victim of a bad Thai driver, but there are also the bad foreign riders as well, I see the victims of those every day, mostly themselves, bandaged up and limping around for the rest of their holiday.  The fact is, there is a little more to it, there is the very reason why there are so many bad drivers and riders, which is actually the same reason why so many foreigners come to Thailand only to injure themselves, a lack of caring by the government who do not insist on lessons or a license before allowing you to jump on a bike and don't even provide road safely campaigns and have resulted in a country full of bad drivers and riders.  The only time they seem to care is at songkran.  I think to blame the drivers is disingenuous as the only way to change this will be for the government to do something about the entire system, it is their stupid fault.

8 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

You are the victim of a bad Thai driver, but there are also the bad foreign riders as well, I see the victims of those every day, mostly themselves, bandaged up and limping around for the rest of their holiday.  The fact is, there is a little more to it, there is the very reason why there are so many bad drivers and riders, which is actually the same reason why so many foreigners come to Thailand only to injure themselves, a lack of caring by the government who do not insist on lessons or a license before allowing you to jump on a bike and don't even provide road safely campaigns and have resulted in a country full of bad drivers and riders.  The only time they seem to care is at songkran.  I think to blame the drivers is disingenuous as the only way to change this will be for the government to do something about the entire system, it is their stupid fault.

Drivers and riders ALSO need to take responsibility for their driving/riding behaviours! You cannot leave total blame with Government (and yes, we all know they should be doing better). All the regulations in the world will not stop motor vehicle crashes except banning the vehicles.

In case you're wondering - yes, I have ridden motorcycles in Thailand. With some good luck(?) and using commonsense managed to avoid any crashes. Always expect the unexpected.

Edited by lvr181
Comment Variation