SURVEY: Brexit -- Good or Bad Idea?

Scott

SURVEY: Brexit -- a Good or Bad Idea?  

345 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The UK will be totally screwed in that case.I've outlined the ramifications, government tax income collapse as finance industry leaves, further pound drop, rapid interest rate hike, financial busts including government needing bailout from IMF as they won't be able to borrow on open markets, many jobs lost. Unless you understand that you are not qualified to agitate for no deal.  

Its obvious in Britain the establishment and educated folks have recently realised that they are being driven to a cliff by incompetents , they are going to take back control of this mess.

Tip of the iceberg if Brexit is bad.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41655915

Rising costs

The Financial Lives research, the first of its kind by the regulator, revealed a range of concerns among consumers at a time of weak wage growth, but also low-cost credit.

It concluded that 15 million people had low levels of resilience to a bill shock, that eight million were struggling with debt, and 100,000 had used an illegal money lender in the last 12 months.

One in six (17%) of those with a mortgage or who are paying rent, an estimated five million people, said that they would struggle if monthly payments rose by less than £50.

A rise in interest rates, heavily hinted by policymakers at the Bank of England, could affect many of these people - especially if the Bank rate rose rapidly.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Incompetence? Really, oh dear.

Collapse of the financial industry & leave? EU subsidies for contingency planning.

IMF revised its forecast and have been proved wrong, again.

Further pound drop? It stabilised after the result, it will do again as its called fluctuation.

BoE have stated on numerous occasions, rate hikes will be moderate and appropriate as there fully aware of consumer debt levels and impact it would have in mortgages etc, nothing new.

Thanks for outlining your viewpoint on ramifications, I'd rather base my analysis on facts not if's, maybe, or forecasts.

As for the negotiations, they've not been concluded and I'll wait out for official releases, the reaction and contingencies applied to the result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the EU  kept quiet about having to use the euro and the EU army and the extra poor countries joining that will need tons of money..let the germans pay for them . and migrants can bring wives and families into UK for benefits and pensions and passports .100billions divorce bill is better spent on customs and leaving these mobsters who hate democracy and accounatbility

21 hours ago, Grouse said:

Perhaps you should reread Mr Williams' article in the New Statesman, a publication that has been left wing almost entirely since day one. The fact it took over Marxism Today in 1991 provides a fair assessment of what to expect.

Williams states that he himself is dubious of the real effect the EU has had in preventing war in Europe and that most of his claims are open to conjecture and have been debunked by many others completely.

The Nobel Peace Prize many thought was a joke when it was announced.

It's just another bit of false news the remoaners continue to spout.

I do find it odd that so many on the left support the EU (we can exclude Corbyn on that) when its main raison d'etre seems to be much the opposite to their beliefs in so, so many ways.

Sorry Grouse, you need to do better than that.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

49 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Perhaps you should reread Mr Williams' article in the New Statesman, a publication that has been left wing almost entirely since day one. The fact it took over Marxism Today in 1991 provides a fair assessment of what to expect.

Williams states that he himself is dubious of the real effect the EU has had in preventing war in Europe and that most of his claims are open to conjecture and have been debunked by many others completely.

I do find it odd that so many on the left support the EU (we can exclude Corbyn on that) when its main raison d'etre seems to be much the opposite to their beliefs in so, so many ways.

The hard left supports Brexit and voted against joining the EU in the first place. Which gives us a fix on Corbyn's position. Please do some research next time before going airside.

Edited by SheungWan

8 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

the EU  kept quiet about having to use the euro and the EU army and the extra poor countries joining that will need tons of money..let the germans pay for them . and migrants can bring wives and families into UK for benefits and pensions and passports .100billions divorce bill is better spent on customs and leaving these mobsters who hate democracy and accounatbility

Having a breakdown?

21 hours ago, taipeir said:

The UK will be totally screwed in that case.I've outlined the ramifications, government tax income collapse as finance industry leaves, further pound drop, rapid interest rate hike, financial busts including government needing bailout from IMF as they won't be able to borrow on open markets, many jobs lost. 

Unless you understand that you are not qualified to agitate for no deal.

Its obvious in Britain the establishment and educated folks have recently realised that they are being driven to a cliff by incompetents , they are going to take back control of this mess.

Tip of the iceberg if Brexit is bad.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41655915

Rising costs

The Financial Lives research, the first of its kind by the regulator, revealed a range of concerns among consumers at a time of weak wage growth, but also low-cost credit.

It concluded that 15 million people had low levels of resilience to a bill shock, that eight million were struggling with debt, and 100,000 had used an illegal money lender in the last 12 months.

One in six (17%) of those with a mortgage or who are paying rent, an estimated five million people, said that they would struggle if monthly payments rose by less than £50.

A rise in interest rates, heavily hinted by policymakers at the Bank of England, could affect many of these people - especially if the Bank rate rose rapidly.

You seem to forget the southern EU states that are bankrupt with mass unemployment and the trade gap that says the EU needs trade as much if not more than the UK. On top of that the eastern states and all the other 26 that are on the take are worried the Germans will not pay in any more than they do now.

Merkel seems to have put her financial foot down on Friday and told Macron and the others to wise up and negotiate, not stall hoping the UK will hand over 100s of billions to pay for the huge waste and continued subsidies without a deal.

No Deal, or WTO as it would be is not as bad as the usual scare monger remoaners would have people believe.

To suggest the "establishment" and "educated folks" will take control is complete nonsense. The election returned the Tories to power, albeit with a reduction in majority, but with an agreement, not a coalition so the democratic result of the referendum will be carried out.

Labour are as normal full of populist and unrealistic ideas that have no financial accounting.

It is about time the interest rate went up. People that didn't realise that is likely and have taken on more debt then they can afford are simply stupid. My first mortgage was about 14%, not 4%.

This is a serious scenario for both the EU and the UK.

Walking away with WTO rules has to be an option, or the EU will just dictate (as the bureaucrats like to do) what they want with no concessions.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Having a breakdown?

I'm having a beer.

I know, and I said the many of the left support Brexit like Corbyn, but the rest of the liberal left don't (New Statesman bit of my post reply to Grouse).

Bill, I do know the finer details, but I can't explain everything in one post.

3Num has a good point.

Cheers G

2 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

You seem to forget the southern EU states that are bankrupt with mass unemployment and the trade gap that says the EU needs trade as much if not more than the UK. On top of that the eastern states and all the other 26 that are on the take are worried the Germans will not pay in any more than they do now.

Merkel seems to have put her financial foot down on Friday and told Macron and the others to wise up and negotiate, not stall hoping the UK will hand over 100s of billions to pay for the huge waste and continued subsidies without a deal.

No Deal, or WTO as it would be is not as bad as the usual scare monger remoaners would have people believe.

To suggest the "establishment" and "educated folks" will take control is complete nonsense. The election returned the Tories to power, albeit with a reduction in majority, but with an agreement, not a coalition so the democratic result of the referendum will be carried out.

Labour are as normal full of populist and unrealistic ideas that have no financial accounting.

It is about time the interest rate went up. People that didn't realise that is likely and have taken on more debt then they can afford are simply stupid. My first mortgage was about 14%, not 4%.

Walking away with WTO rules has to be an option, or the EU will just dictate (as the bureaucrats like to do) what they want with no concessions.

Excellent post. Though it's difficult to tell with Merkel. She's playing a cagey game for sure (as are all the leading players in Germany). Germany had so much to gain from a federal Europe that included the UK. But it also has an awful lot to lose from an EU that has alienated the UK.

Excellent post. Though it's difficult to tell with Merkel. She's playing a cagey game for sure (as are all the leading players in Germany). Germany had so much to gain from a federal Europe that included the UK. But it also has an awful lot to lose from an EU that has alienated the UK.

Merkel is doing what's in Merkel's interest, along with ensuring her BDI doesn't suffer, it's common knowledge how much Germany wants a deal.

As for the fiscal black hole, irrespective whether people like or loath him, Nigel Farage's LBC phone in had a former EU official call in stating the EU pensions has a massive €50 Bn black hole (est) which needs filling and convenient enough all the Brexit divorce bill talk if figures needing to assist.

The credentials of the caller 'were' legally verified, I'll post a link if I can.

5 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

How about this then?

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/8326028

and this book is informative

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-Europe-Matters-European-Union/dp/1137016876

"Critics like to depict the European Union as undemocratic and unpopular, but their arguments are too often based on myths and misunderstandings. This does us all a disservice, and in this period of uncertainty about the future of Europe it is more important than ever that we have a firm grasp of the issues at stake.

This powerful new book debunks the misconceptions surrounding the EU and makes a compelling and comprehensive case for the benefits of European integration. It shows how the EU has improved the lives of Europeans in countless ways, and how it has given Europe a powerful presence on the international stage. Guaranteed to illuminate as well as spark debate, this book will appeal to anyone who seeks to better understand what Europe means and why it matters."

Finally 

https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/2012/eu-facts.html

Im my opinion, the EU has been instrumental in avoiding major conflict and kept me out of the trenches!

Edited by Grouse

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:39 AM, Khun Han said:

It's an utterly bizarre situation: They are already technically bankrupt, but Germany, which has them by the short and curlys, bails them out from month-to-month through the EU. All the while, Germany is milking them through their membership of the Euro. It's like the biggest bank loan (or credit card debt) ever, on steroids. Pure financial slavery.

He he he , the colonies don't think and produce for GB any more and now the crying keeps going on.

Nothing ever changes.

You seem to forget the southern EU states that are bankrupt with mass unemployment and the trade gap that says the EU needs trade as much if not more than the UK. On top of that the eastern states and all the other 26 that are on the take are worried the Germans will not pay in any more than they do now. Merkel seems to have put her financial foot down on Friday and told Macron and the others to wise up and negotiate, not stall hoping the UK will hand over 100s of billions to pay for the huge waste and continued subsidies without a deal. No Deal, or WTO as it would be is not as bad as the usual scare monger remoaners would have people believe. To suggest the "establishment" and "educated folks" will take control is complete nonsense. The election returned the Tories to power, albeit with a reduction in majority, but with an agreement, not a coalition so the democratic result of the referendum will be carried out.

......And then Macron tells the UK yesterday to pay up up to 60 billion and there has been absolutely 'no brexit' talk from May. The fact is the UK has a high possibility of going bust in a no deal scenario as the pound will get hammered, investment, will evaporate, revenue from VAT and finance industry will plummet but locall credit costs will rocket , bad debts will bust banks again and foreign loans will be extremely difficult to service with a weak pound and no loan access excerpt from IMF. 

That's what you are looking at with no deal Brexit. Think it can't happen? Pretty much same thing happened to Ireland about ten years ago but for different reasons.

There is NO WAY the UK can do a no deal exit. It is simply not on the cards whatsoever.

The 'no deal is better than a bad deal' rubbish is just FOR DOMESTIC CONSUMPTION.

The UK is Billy no mates with their tabloid rhetoric and go whistle talk going down like a lead balloon.

Paying 20 billion on leaving and then a long term payment term after Brexit is actually not a bad scenario for the UK. The UK can eeasily afford that . It can't afford a no deal....everybody and their dog knows that.

20 hours ago, citybiker said:

Merkel is doing what's in Merkel's interest, along with ensuring her BDI doesn't suffer, it's common knowledge how much Germany wants a deal.

As for the fiscal black hole, irrespective whether people like or loath him, Nigel Farage's LBC phone in had a former EU official call in stating the EU pensions has a massive €50 Bn black hole (est) which needs filling and convenient enough all the Brexit divorce bill talk if figures needing to assist.

The credentials of the caller 'were' legally verified, I'll post a link if I can.

The pension schemes should be enough in themselves to convince the various populaces that overly-centralised government is just a giant scam. The EU is no better or worse than local governments in the UK on this, though they are all  engaged in financial fraud which they, themselves legalise.

18 hours ago, Grouse said:

How about this then?

"Critics like to depict the European Union as undemocratic and unpopular, but their arguments are too often based on myths and misunderstandings. This does us all a disservice, and in this period of uncertainty about the future of Europe it is more important than ever that we have a firm grasp of the issues at stake.

This powerful new book debunks the misconceptions surrounding the EU and makes a compelling and comprehensive case for the benefits of European integration. It shows how the EU has improved the lives of Europeans in countless ways, and how it has given Europe a powerful presence on the international stage. Guaranteed to illuminate as well as spark debate, this book will appeal to anyone who seeks to better understand what Europe means and why it matters."

Finally 

Im my opinion, the EU has been instrumental in avoiding major conflict and kept me out of the trenches!

I will read you kind offerings later.

For now I would just add:

All that could have been achieved with a simple European Association and multilateral trade deals. Something like we thought we were joining in 1974.

It worries me you discount all the UN and Nato contributions to European peace since 1945?

Was the EU instrumental in the wall coming down? No. The EU sits on the fence.

What has happened since is far away from that, and we have a bureaucratic semi-democratic expansionist greedy mad house instead. The EU budget is based on future income due by the treaties signed from the contributing states,  Germany and the UK for the overwhelming part.

Spend money you don't have, much like Corbyn's last manifesto.

I just read an interesting analysis that says the EU wants to split Europe into 60 plus "ethnic" areas and rule, or dictate, over that with only local government in the future.

Louis the XIV, Napoleon and Hitler would be proud of that plan.

(I'll send it on when I find it, but it is not written by the likes of The New Statesman or The Huffington Post idiots.)

The Nobel Prize was as ridiculed as the latest appointment of Mugabe as a WHO ambassador is being now.

Cheers, top your glass.

G

18 hours ago, Grouse said:

How about this then?

Finally 

I will read you kind offerings later.

For now I would just add:

All that could have been achieved with a simple European Association and multilateral trade deals. Something like we thought we were joining in 1974.

It worries me you discount all the UN and Nato contributions to European peace since 1945?

Was the EU instrumental in the wall coming down? No. The EU sits on the fence.

What has happened since is far away from that, and we have a bureaucratic semi-democratic expansionist greedy mad house instead. The EU budget is based on future income due by the treaties signed from the contributing states,  Germany and the UK for the overwhelming part.

Spend money you don't have, much like Corbyn's last manifesto.

I just read an interesting analysis that says the EU wants to split Europe into 60 plus "ethnic" areas and rule, or dictate, over that with only local government in the future.

Louis the XIV, Napoleon and Hitler would be proud of that plan.

(I'll send it on when I find it, but it is not written by the likes of The New Statesman or The Huffington Post idiots.)

The Nobel Prize was as ridiculed as the latest appointment of Mugabe as a WHO ambassador is being now.

Cheers, top your glass.

G

16 hours ago, taipeir said:

......And then Macron tells the UK yesterday to pay up up to 60 billion and there has been absolutely 'no brexit' talk from May. The fact is the UK has a high possibility of going bust in a no deal scenario as the pound will get hammered, investment, will evaporate, revenue from VAT and finance industry will plummet but locall credit costs will rocket , bad debts will bust banks again and foreign loans will be extremely difficult to service with a weak pound and no loan access excerpt from IMF. 

That's what you are looking at with no deal Brexit. Think it can't happen? Pretty much same thing happened to Ireland about ten years ago but for different reasons.

There is NO WAY the UK can do a no deal exit. It is simply not on the cards whatsoever.

The 'no deal is better than a bad deal' rubbish is just FOR DOMESTIC CONSUMPTION.

The UK is Billy no mates with their tabloid rhetoric and go whistle talk going down like a lead balloon.

Paying 20 billion on leaving and then a long term payment term after Brexit is actually not a bad scenario for the UK. The UK can eeasily afford that . It can't afford a no deal....everybody and their dog knows that.

Err, you shoot down your own argument...

The EU needs our trade and wants our money.

If they don't deal then they will suffer as a single market while the UK will trade with the world and not pay into a ridiculously idealistic rip-off semi democratic expansionist bureaucratic and dictatorial nonsense.

Happy to drink Australian whine (not a typo) and drive Japanese and Indian cars, eat English cheese and bread etc etc.

Paying for the Eurocrats pensions is not on the cards.

EU budget we agreed to ends in 2020. Okay, after that forget it unless we get a sensible deal.

They want to separate the two. No chance like the ECJ having priority.

I still think Merkel will have to kick some EU arse before this is sorted out amicably.

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

If they don't deal then they will suffer as a single market while the UK will trade with the world and not pay into a ridiculously idealistic rip-off semi democratic expansionist bureaucratic and dictatorial nonsense.

Happy to drink Australian whine (not a typo) and drive Japanese and Indian cars, eat English cheese and bread etc etc.

EU budget we agreed to ends in 2020. Okay, after that forget it unless we get a sensible deal.

I still think Merkel will have to kick some EU arse before this is sorted out amicably.

I live in the Netherlands I have just bought a shirt made in Indonesia another of the same brand from Thailand it's an American brand Royal Robbins,the shops here are full of stuff from all over the world. Next time you are in a supermarket check out where the produce come from.the problem for the UK is it imports more than it exports and can't produce enough food to feed the population,and most of what is produced is owned by foreign multinationals,here's something for you to chew on the crankshaft for the mini crosses the border of the UK and the EU three times before final assembly ,most countries will want to sell you stuff not buy stuff from the UK, and if they do import from the UK they will expect their to have free access to Britain.Brexit is an English tory party <deleted> up and it will probably lead to the break up of the union,almost certainly the end of the welfare state and a free NHS.

The only part of EU pensions is the UK EU staff outstanding liabilities, which has already been noted.
The figures being thrown are proposals, nothing concrete has been accepted even though these figures are fair for the transition period, seeing as the EU are still refusing to submit 'the EU figure' can be seen as a couple of things:

A, They know whatever figure will be scrutinised, especially from a legal perspective.
B, Any attempt to purge more than what we have already committed to will show the EU are simply in financial fantasy wish list land.

Lastly, IIRC no other non-EU member has the ECJ as a overseeing legal court for EU nationals within other countries Brussel's know EU nationals (3M) will be covered and looked after by the UK courts (Supreme if neccessary) and the ECJ have no business interfering over more importantly attempting to overrule.

Over ruling UK courts is another prime reason why many voted to leave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, adammike said:

I live in the Netherlands I have just bought a shirt made in Indonesia another of the same brand from Thailand it's an American brand Royal Robbins,the shops here are full of stuff from all over the world. Next time you are in a supermarket check out where the produce come from.the problem for the UK is it imports more than it exports and can't produce enough food to feed the population,and most of what is produced is owned by foreign multinationals,here's something for you to chew on the crankshaft for the mini crosses the border of the UK and the EU three times before final assembly ,most countries will want to sell you stuff not buy stuff from the UK, and if they do import from the UK they will expect their to have free access to Britain.Brexit is an English tory party <deleted> up and it will probably lead to the break up of the union,almost certainly the end of the welfare state and a free NHS.

Obviously, by the result, the referendum was long overdue, whatever sparked it.

To assist the EU in meeting its own climate and energy targets, the UK might slowly reintroduce its own industries (probably with foreign investment and expertise but so what?) to avoid this zig-zag supply chain and associated energy emissions and cost. The European carousel of manufactured parts and components has been carefully organized for the final benefit (profit) of German industry but the bits and pieces are increasingly produced in eastern Europe anyway.

A population on 70 million provides a sufficient market for at least some types of goods to be manufactured domestically, even without an export market. Of course, a vast improvement over British Leyland''s (purely for example, naturally) quality and efficiency would be required. Hopefully some bitter lessons from the 60's and 70's have been learned.   

Merkel is going to be kicking UK arse not EU arse talk about getting things 'arseways' lol.

Obviously, by the result, the referendum was long overdue, whatever sparked it.

To assist the EU in meeting its own climate and energy targets, the UK might slowly reintroduce its own industries (probably with foreign investment and expertise but so what?) to avoid this zig-zag supply chain and associated energy emissions and cost. The European carousel of manufactured parts and components has been carefully organized for the final benefit (profit) of German industry but the bits and pieces are increasingly produced in eastern Europe anyway.

A population on 70 million provides a sufficient market for at least some types of goods to be manufactured domestically, even without an export market. Of course, a vast improvement over British Leyland''s (purely for example, naturally) quality and efficiency would be required. Hopefully some bitter lessons from the 60's and 70's have been learned.   

Something Something climate change paranoia against successful Germany wishful thinking unknown goods going to be produced in Britain .

Read it again and tell me if any of this makes sense ?

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

On a wing and a prayer.

32 minutes ago, taipeir said:

Something Something climate change paranoia against successful Germany wishful thinking unknown goods going to be produced in Britain .

Read it again and tell me if any of this makes sense ?

Of course it makes sense. I wrote it!

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

population on 70 million provides a sufficient market for at least some types of goods to be manufactured domestically, even without an export market. Of course, a vast improvement over British Leyland''s (purely for example, naturally) quality and efficiency would be required. Hopefully some bitter lessons from the 60's and 70's have been learned.   

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

On a wing and a prayer.

Its less gloomy on the other side of the coin.

There were a record 5.5 million private sector businesses at the start of 2016

This was an increase of 97000 since2015 and 2 million more since 2000.

The number of employing businesses increased by 14000 and the number of sole trader/self employed businesses by 84000 with the annual growth rates for both groups being +3%

Small or medium sized businesses accounted for 99% of all private sector businesses at the start of 2016.

They employed 16 million people 60% of all private sector employment

The combined annual turnover was £1.8 trillion, 47% of all private sector turnover in the UK

This will of course improve and expand when we get away from EU red tape