Unfriendly immigration

Re-post from today's Phuket Gazette:

Why is it that the Thai immigration people, whether in Bangkok, Phuket or Chiang Mai, are without exception always surly, never return your greeting, and look at you as though you are a criminal?

I’ve been living here for 13 years, and have always been made painfully aware of the fact that I am an “alien”. This is in addition to the incredibly lengthy procedures and queuing.

A friend of mine who lives here on a disability pension was told by an Immigration officer that he needn’t come back to Thailand next time he goes out. Presumably this was because they didn’t like the look of him, or because he answered back when they were rude.

When you go through Immigration in Singapore, they say “Welcome” to you, share a joke or say something about your home country. There’s even a bowl of mints.

Immigration officers can display humanity and friendliness. It doesn’t cost anything or commit them in any way to doing anything they feel is wrong.

I dread going to Immigration. When you go to Immigration in Chiang Mai for an extension it takes 20 minutes. But in Pattaya, if you’re first in the queue at 8:30, they tell you to come back at 3pm. No arguments allowed. One of them even told me to “f*** off” if I didn’t like it.

Is there any uniformity of rules, or politeness training required for any of these self-important people?

Unwelcome, Phuket.

ANSWER:

“The way an officer responds and whether he appears friendly may be because of his individual personality. Some officers may be overstressed from work; they can’t control their feelings with the result that you and other people who go to the Immigration see those feelings.

I apologize for what has happened to you. I will discuss this with colleagues with the aim of further improving Immigration services. ”

Thursday, May 8, 2003  Pol Col Sayun Kraseasean, Superintendent, Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.

In the last 20 odd years, I have experienced the same thing, but not for the past 3-4 years, during which the Immigration officers I have dealt with have been very friendly, and I've rarely spent more than 20 minutes for the whole process, including parking my car 2 blocks away, walking to Immigration at Suan Plu, filling out the forms, making payment, and talking to the Immigration officer at the desk.

Before that I have had a couple of unpleasant encounters, but they were resolved fairly quickly.  In addition to the remarks of Col Sayun, one should understand that Immigration officers are both police and Kha-rachakarn. Some prople tend to translate Kha-rachakarn as civil servants, but this is a mis-translation in Thailand.  Literally, Kha-rachakarn can be translated as "servants of His Majesty", which makes the Kha-rachakarn the elite of Thailand, and they expect to be treated with the appropriate level of respect due in their capacity. Whether or not you or I like it or not is of no consequence.  Getting upset, being rude, or expecting the Immigration officials to be the way you want them to be is not too relistic.  It is their turf, their rules, and their customs and traditions.  They expect some deference and humility from the non-elite, and if they do not receive it, the problems can start easily.  There are also other factors, such as if a country goes on bad terms with Thailand, it is a possibility that the nationals of the other will be shown less than a warm welcome.  If they complain, the objective has been met.  

So the answer is to be polite, respetful, and even a bit humble; after all, the only important thing is to get the stamp you applied for.  And here's another tip:  If you happen to notice that one or more officials appear to be in a bad mood, you might consider leaving and returning the next day in hopes that they will be feeling better.  Everyone has their baqd days, Immigration officials included.

Ditto Colonel Sayun,I have always found your officers both friendly and polite even at 5 am in the morning.I usually have a quiet chat with them and sometimes have to explain that cousin Alan is the snooker player and not me (cant even kick a ball)

James is of course No1.

Smile and they will smile back.sanuk :o