Gunmen attack Kenyan school, killing six children: officials

rooster59

Gunmen attack Kenyan school, killing six children: officials

NAIROBI (Reuters) - Seven people, six of them children, were killed in northern Kenya on Saturday when unknown assailants attacked a school, officials said.

Cattle rustling and clashes over grazing and farming land are relatively common between communities in the East African country's north, and often escalate into revenge attacks.

The region also borders war-torn South Sudan, and arms smuggling is common, with Kenyan police having little control over weaponry crossing the border.

In a report, Kenya's KTN television channel said four boys, two girls and a guard were killed during the attack on Lokichogio School, which it said was carried out by assailants whose identities were yet to be determined.

"The attack ... is a painful reminder of the state of insecurity along the border," Josphat Nanok, Turkana county's governor, said on Twitter.

The region is awash with guns due to its proximity to unstable neighbours including Somalia, where al Qaeda-linked militants have been fighting to topple the government.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-15

11 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Meanwhile, the US is shipping tens of billions of dollars of weapons to that part of the world.  Mostly Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Syria right now, but guns tend to trickle down to neighboring regions.

Kenya is not in the same "part of the world" as Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Syria. The USA is hardly the only country selling arms to either the ME or African countries, and I don't know that there's such a trickle effect of USA sourced weapons from the ME to Africa. That's without getting into having no information on which weapons were used. Kinda sickening how these stories get used as soap boxes for posters' unrelated political agendas.

Africa was called the Dark continent when I was young and it is still the dark and 3rd world continent and will still be when I die. Not much has changed in that country since  I was born. Nelson was a small blimp in the country's history.  How about all the Idi Amins and Roberts.?

Geezer

On 10/15/2017 at 4:49 PM, Nemesis7 said:

How come there is not a single report about the brutal attacks on Rohinga's by the Burmese Army???? Its beyond brutality and purely genocide and cleansing of minorities, in a savage manner.

Mainly i should think because the Rohingas are not the nice decent upstanding people ,that some would have us believe , notice no one wants them ,Thailand has regularaly turned them away ,as they are trouble .

I still maintain the premise: if you flood an area with weapons, as, for example, the M.East is packed to the gills - then many of those weapons will seep out to surrounding regions.  Kenya and Somalia are a few hours' trip away from any airport in the M.East.   There are also boats and land vehicles.

It's akin to the US, where there are around 300 million firearms floating around.  Do all those 300 million guns stay safely locked away in rednecks' gun cabinets?  

On 10/18/2017 at 8:33 AM, boomerangutang said:

I still maintain the premise: if you flood an area with weapons, as, for example, the M.East is packed to the gills - then many of those weapons will seep out to surrounding regions.  Kenya and Somalia are a few hours' trip away from any airport in the M.East.   There are also boats and land vehicles.

It's akin to the US, where there are around 300 million firearms floating around.  Do all those 300 million guns stay safely locked away in rednecks' gun cabinets?  

You can "maintain" whatever "premise" you like. And yet, this topic isn't about the ME, nor does it imply that the weapons used "leaked" from the ME. It may come as a surprise, but arms are sold directly to African buyers as well. And it is not "akin" to things in the USA in any meaningful way, other than you banging on about a pet political issue.