California burns: Where’s the president?

webfact

San Francisco Chronicle

Chronicle Editorial Board

As raging wildfires devour the lives, homes and dreams of Californians in an unprecedented scale, one voice has been conspicuously mute through day after day of crisis: President Trump.

This is not a man who is reticent to let Americans know what is foremost on his mind. He is also someone who should have learned by now — after devastating hurricanes and the Las Vegas massacre — that Americans expect their president to step forward with empathy and resolve in moments of national trauma.

Yet Trump has offered no more than a few perfunctory words about the Wine Country fires that have left at least 40 dead, consumed thousands of structures and stretched the physical and mental mettle of the dedicated firefighters and medical professionals to the edge of exhaustion.

Full story: http://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/editorials/article/Editorial-California-burns-Where-s-the-12278654.php

-- San Francisco Chronicle 2017-10-16

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Realistically, what can the President do?    He can offer the usual platitudes,  "We stand shoulder to shoulder with the people of California, ", etc., or he can get on with his job.  I'm sure he'll have Californians in his mind.

California has a state government to deal with local issues.

If he went there at the first sign of a serious wildfire, he'd be criticized for going too early.  There's no pleasing some, mostly those who didn't vote for him.

San Francisco Chronicle
Chronicle Editorial Board

As raging wildfires devour the lives, homes and dreams of Californians in an unprecedented scale, one voice has been conspicuously mute through day after day of crisis: President Trump.

This is not a man who is reticent to let Americans know what is foremost on his mind. He is also someone who should have learned by now — after devastating hurricanes and the Las Vegas massacre — that Americans expect their president to step forward with empathy and resolve in moments of national trauma.

Yet Trump has offered no more than a few perfunctory words about the Wine Country fires that have left at least 40 dead, consumed thousands of structures and stretched the physical and mental mettle of the dedicated firefighters and medical professionals to the edge of exhaustion.

Full story: http://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/editorials/article/Editorial-California-burns-Where-s-the-12278654.php

-- San Francisco Chronicle 2017-10-16

Duh, he's playing golf again. He can’t be bothered by scores of people being burned to death or thousands of homes burning to the ground.

IMG_0303.JPG

26 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Realistically, what can the President do?    He can offer the usual platitudes,  "We stand shoulder to shoulder with the people of California, ", etc., or he can get on with his job.  I'm sure he'll have Californians in his mind.

If he went there at the first sign of a serious wildfire, he'd be criticized for going too early.  There's no pleasing some, mostly those who didn't vote for him.

Give encouragement and support? Just like what can Trump do by visiting Vegas, Florida, or any other place in times of crisis. Not saying that Trump needs to go to Cali, simple support words on twitter would no more good than continuous tweets on NFL and Fake News.

22 minutes ago, attrayant said:

If California were a country, it would have the 6th largest economy in the world by GDP and at $2.6B it's the largest state economy in the country.

Is this how we make America great again, by letting 14% of its economy burn to ashes?

In defense of the orange scumbag.. There is little he can do and the problem is being addressed by both state and federal fire teams. He is not letting 14% of the economy burn by ignoring it.  In fact his involvement usually means controversy and slows efforts if it does anything

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Does it really matter?

in Puerto Rico he graciously, and belatedly, handed out paper towels, or was it butt paper? (to wipe away the tears....  Or poop) Doing this in Ca would only add more fuel for the fire.

the question should more likely be, "where's the financial support?" Or promise thereof.

admittedly, I don't know if this has been made yet (having been away in the outback for the last week), but it's surely more important that an PR photo opportunity. 

Edited by farcanell

Look, he knows there is zero chance of winning California in 2020. A mature civilized NORMAL president would look past that and realize he is still president of all the people in all the states, even the majority that hate his guts (with good reason). But he's a corrupt evil moronic baby man scumbag. The USA elected this horror show. We broke it. Now, how to fix it? 

Same deal in Puerto Rico. They're a colony. It's is a shameful situation and that's not only on the republicans either. 

36 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Indeed. 

He's recently been to PR, Vegas, Houston, Florida so until the fires are out, what more do you want of the man? 

He could have been golfing like the Obungler who never visited New Orleans and other disasters but no. 

TDS. trumps all, eh? 

Besides they already know things could be worse. 

Governor JERRY BROWN has more integrity and dedication to PUBLIC SERVICE in one of his skin tags in his butt cheeks than trump has in his entire BIGLY body. 

Talk about one that got away.

JERRY BROWN, yes now too old, would have made an actually GREAT president. 

2 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Californians made it abundantly clear that Trump wasn't their president , so why should he bother ?

Isn't that the task of their governor ?

The Texas floods & Porto rico are much more important .

I think it is true that if Trump went to California he would probably be thrown on the fire and people would be lining up to do that.  We all know how careful Trump is about going anywhere where he is going to be criticised.  No chance of him taking that risk.

15 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I think it is true that if Trump went to California he would probably be thrown on the fire and people would be lining up to do that. 

I'd line up for days to do that. Wouldn't help California much in the short term though as I've been told hairspray is extremely flammable and there's probably enough in the man-child's rug to burn the whole state down.

4 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

" what can the President do?    "

Spend less time threatening other countries with war and more time fixing the ever mounting problems in his own country from all the devastation of natural disasters:smile:

the question should more likely be, "where's the financial support?" Or promise thereof.

I think that’s what’s implied by the OP. Nobody expects a president to pick up a fire extinguisher and become part of the front line effort. That’s why the PR paper towel event was such a farce.

A president can be a powerful motivating force just by speaking, but he this president prefers to insult as many people as possible on twitter while natural disasters rip through the country.

Can't blame starting the fire on the man or blowing up hurricanes so the next best thing is to blame him for not apologizing for acts of God.  CNN was doing a story about Harvey Weinstein and they had a photo of Trumps family members in the background.  Nothing to do with the story , same here. 

It was also too hot in LA today and Trump should have called up everybody and said he was sorry about it.

No one is suggesting Trump has to go to California. However, he is supposed to be the President of ALL the people. He could simply declare the area a disaster area and provide some words of sympathy.

The problem with Trump is he has no real sympathy for anyone in distress. The man is devoid of any human emotions. He thinks everyone and everything is a business to manipulate in some way so he comes out on top. California overwhelmingly vote for Hillary so Donald could care less about California. He truly is one of the worst human beings that I never want to meet.

4 minutes ago, malibukid said:

he knows that he would not be welcomed in California

He could easily organize a controlled event. He managed that in Puerto Rico with his paper towel throwing stunt. I'm sure he has the power to do that somewhere in Northern California. 

Jerry Brown would be polite and welcome him in a normal way. He is an atrocious scumbag but for the time being, he is only "president" we've got. 

Edited by Jingthing

It's interesting, California is a State that has fully rejected Trump and his Government this in past driven by Hollywood and we can see that's falling apart now ans rightly so. Now California wants Government support. I think its time California splits off and becomes an independent Country and let's see how well they do.  Maybe they can get another Hollywood actor to Govern. I hear The Rock has his hand up.

Have the Trump supporters ever really sat down and asked the question- what has Donald Trump actually done that is positive for Americans and if one truly looks at his statements and his record while in office- the answer has to be that he has not been able to put in place anything that is beneficial.  His healthcare bill has failed;  he has no immigration bill; his tax bill is already deemed a failure.  He has made enemies out of America's allies; he has created instability in the World by refusing to negotiate on NKorea and now going after Iran.

Stop blaming the Media and Hillary and everyone else who is looking at Trump and sees an insecure man; a man with huge mental issues and a person who is not qualified to be President.  If he even did one thing beneficial to America- I would gladly give him praise but he appears incapable of doing it.

1 minute ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

It's interesting, California is a State that has fully rejected Trump and his Government this in past driven by Hollywood and we can see that's falling apart now ans rightly so. Now California wants Government support. I think its time California splits off and becomes an independent Country and let's see how well they do.  Maybe they can get another Hollywood actor to Govern. I hear The Rock has his hand up.

Don't give them any ideas.

California benefits the USA much more than the USA benefits California.

Similar to Catalonia that way. 

44 minutes ago, midas said:

" what can the President do?    "

Spend less time threatening other countries with war and more time fixing the ever mounting problems in his own country from all the devastation of natural disasters:smile:

The way I see it is that he's reacting to threats from the vertically challenged runt from North Korea, and state governments handle emergencies such as wildfires, etc.   The Federal government may contribute funds, but state governments run the agenda.

Just now, Jingthing said:

Don't give them any ideas.

California benefits the USA much more than the USA benefits California.

Similar to Catalonia that way. 

The USA could easily do without California mate, look at the numbers. However California would crumble without Federal funding that's for sure.

7 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Have the Trump supporters ever really sat down and asked the question- what has Donald Trump actually done that is positive for Americans and if one truly looks at his statements and his record while in office- the answer has to be that he has not been able to put in place anything that is beneficial.  His healthcare bill has failed;  he has no immigration bill; his tax bill is already deemed a failure.  He has made enemies out of America's allies; he has created instability in the World by refusing to negotiate on NKorea and now going after Iran.

Stop blaming the Media and Hillary and everyone else who is looking at Trump and sees an insecure man; a man with huge mental issues and a person who is not qualified to be President.  If he even did one thing beneficial to America- I would gladly give him praise but he appears incapable of doing it.

The US has been negotiating with NK for 30 years, and contributed hundreds of millions in aid in an attempt to avert the situation that now exists, but the runt, and ancestors, have thumbed their noses at those peaceful attempts.

Now we have a psychologist/psychiatrist contributing to TV??  

ANYBODY is qualified to be president.  All he/she has to do is run a successful campaign.  That's what the great democracy is about.

Edited by F4UCorsair

12 minutes ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

The USA could easily do without California mate, look at the numbers. However California would crumble without Federal funding that's for sure.

You really have no idea what you're talking about. I'm embarrassed for you. I do think most right wingers are ignorant in a similar way. That's their BUBBLE.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

"Red states vs. blue states

Interestingly enough, red states, which tend to advocate for a lesser influence by the federal government, are much more dependent on the federal government than blue states. Blue states combined to form an average ranking of 18.3 (with 1 being most dependent and 50 being least dependent), while red states combined to rank 33.2 overall."

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-states-the-most-and-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government-2015-7

Most recently, CALIFORNIA very high in the LEAST DEPENDENT category.

Edited by Jingthing

california has been anti trump since he was elected, hollywood and the nightly so called comic programs hit him and ridicule him every night, he is called every name in the book by the california "elite" why should he even care about that cess pool of left wing liberal degenerates? Karma is a bitch!