startup technical teaching company

12 hours ago, Robert24 said:

Of course it can be done. Plenty of other foreigners running a company in Thailand. Go through a lawyer for the set up and some guidance what you vsn or cannot do. My guess is you can teach workers how to do something but not be a foreman/supervisor on construction site. That needs to be a Thai. You will need 4 employees per foreigner with WP, but that could also be someone on your books who does accounting, driving etc. Many ways how to achieve that.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

thanks

9 hours ago, pearciderman said:

Jack of all trades, master of none.

As I was teached on an excellent techical school (long time ago) : the workforce does not consist of people who can invent stuff, just people who are able to repair it.

For the kind of maintenance, repairs and small constructing work we will offer, I will not need engineers with a degree, just motivated people with technical insight

23 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

I am not angry but I am wasting my time as you don't want to listen.

I think he is right, can be done the way he is projecting. I am not sure about the market though, the foreign repair businesses that I know don't all do well.

On 04/11/2017 at 10:11 PM, tonboy said:

Again, I do not agree. 300 baht a day is only for losers. And my market is not the Thai, but mainly the expats that are fed up with thai companies and quality.

I agree, you will find plenty of foreigner that are fed up with the quality delivered by Thai companies, I would even dare say every foreigner you approach.

You will however find very few of those very same foreigners willing to pay more than the minimum wage, either because they are too skint or too cheap.

Edited by janclaes47

4 hours ago, tonboy said:

As I was teached on an excellent techical school (long time ago) : the workforce does not consist of people who can invent stuff, just people who are able to repair it.

For the kind of maintenance, repairs and small constructing work we will offer, I will not need engineers with a degree, just motivated people with technical insight

LTS ?

One thing that occurs to me is that the vast majority of construction workers I see in Bangkok are not Thai. These foreigner workers are earning wages similar to what you mentioned.

When I asked why this is, I was told that there are not enough Thai people who want to do that type of work for close to minimum wage.

From a business perspective I am just wondering how will you find your trainees? What will you offer that will make Thai staff join up and stay long enough?

2 hours ago, blackcab said:

From a business perspective I am just wondering how will you find your trainees? What will you offer that will make Thai staff join up and stay long enough?

Interesting question.

Actually I found some young people already. To be exact 3. They come from a mix marriage, so between a farang and a thai woman. 2 of them are not actually the biological children from the farang. They speak excellent english. 

They go to an international school and when finished they want to find a job in a technical function.  

They do not have the intellectual power to go on and study at a university, but also not like the attitute of the bosses at thai companies. Fact is that young thai people are discriminated in all ways possible. Doing the hardest jobs, for very low wages, no labourcontract for certain period, no working clothes, no training in working safe. And so on, and so on. Those are a couple of reasons they do not want to start at a thai company without any experience. They get bullied around.  With some training and experience they will make a much better chance to get a job where they are handled with respect, is reasonable safe, and prospect of a good financial future. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

LTS ?

also people from MTS, Frits.

If you are referring to me, I indeed did "only" MTS, with all very good results (6 times 9). But I was not interested in the HTS or university as there you learn only theoretical stuff. Started working with an engineering office as a simple drawer at Technécon, after 1 year I was an engineering/constructor already. All calculations I had to make I programmed into my PC (was back in 1986, just the start of the personal computer). 

Worked at Estec, Esmil, Bukon. Did a lot of courses in Electrical, Pneumatics, Hydraulics and Steam. Developed myself during the time I worked in technical companies. All courses were payed by these companies. 

After I while became salesengineer for 6 years at Econosto, worked after 

that at Ubel and Oranjeberg. Both in the CCOD (Chemical, Energy and Offshore Departments). Again learned a lot. 

Then took over a small company in construction of safety devices and closures and owned this till 2010. Unfortunally due to economical crisis and a (fighting) divorce, I had to gave up this. After that I took up programming again and doing this till today and onwards.
This is a nice job, have a few customers in Holland that keep me going, but in my spare time I am looking for something else to do. Just bought myself a Toyota Crown model ms64, 1972 and restoring this now. But still I have time left... so came up with this idea after talking to the same young guys that help me sometimes with my car. They all enjoy this work very much. They learn something from me but I even learn more from them, what their attidute is towards the Thai society (very critical), what their dreams are, what they would like to achive in the future.

Edited by tonboy
  • Like 2