Samsung screen bulging

vogie

I have a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and the screen has started to bulge causing it to come away from the aluminium backing case. I am suspecting it might be a faulty battery expanding. I have searched the net a found you need a special tool to remove two screws from the casing and a plastic screen extractor. Does anyone know where such tools can be purchased, or do you really need them? 

I have looked at archived posts and there is mention of various Samsung dealers in Pattaya that would do the job, but would charge you an arm and leg. There is also mention of a guy in TukCom that is capable of these sort of repairs and is very reasonable, does anyone know the where-abouts in TukCom of this chap?

5 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Search youtube and there will be videos showing disassembly.

Here's one: 

Yes I've seen the videos, but this is where the plot thickens. On closer inspection it is not the rear of the tablet that is coming away, but the front that appears to be glued on, I don't fancy trying to glue it back myself, one blob of glue in the wrong place and ...........? I just don't fancy taking it to a Samsung dealer that sees mega baht signs as I walk into the shop. Thank for the advice anyway.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Yes I've seen the videos, but this is where the plot thickens. On closer inspection it is not the rear of the tablet that is coming away, but the front that appears to be glued on, I don't fancy trying to glue it back myself, one blob of glue in the wrong place and ...........? I just don't fancy taking it to a Samsung dealer that sees mega baht signs as I walk into the shop. Thank for the advice anyway.

My experience with the Samsung Service Centre on North Pattaya Road was very encouraging (my problem wasn't with a tablet but Galaxy S7 Edge) and not at all expensive. Try them out and ask for a quotation before any work is done.

I refuse to own any Samsung product. I used to own a Samsung digital camera, had an excelent schneider lens.  Came with software to save images on PC. 

I upgraded my pc from XP to Win 7 and the software would not work. I called tech support to see if there was an upgrade, the korean I talked to told me I need a new cable, I replied, no, my cable works fine on my laptop I need a software upgrade. He said I was stupid and needed a cable. I demanded to speak to a supervisor, complained about being called stupid, he never apologised but did tell me there was no software upgrade. That was maybe 5 years ago. I still refuse to buy any Samsung product. Yes, a stubborn grumpy duck but samsungs loss. 5555555

I have seen some screen replacement kits on Ali Baba that come with some tools.

Problem is the time stuff takes to come from China is usually excessive.. it gets held up as soon as it gets to Thailand. For me 4-5 weeks.

10 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I refuse to own any Samsung product. I used to own a Samsung digital camera, had an excelent schneider lens.  Came with software to save images on PC. 

I upgraded my pc from XP to Win 7 and the software would not work. I called tech support to see if there was an upgrade, the korean I talked to told me I need a new cable, I replied, no, my cable works fine on my laptop I need a software upgrade. He said I was stupid and needed a cable. I demanded to speak to a supervisor, complained about being called stupid, he never apologised but did tell me there was no software upgrade. That was maybe 5 years ago. I still refuse to buy any Samsung product. Yes, a stubborn grumpy duck but samsungs loss. 5555555

Had and have their TVs, phones and DVD players, that were pretty good.

Perhaps your problem was with your computer . Usually it will see a camera as external storage and copying is a matter of drag and drop.  Could have been a driver update required. XP sounds pretty ancient.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Had and have their TVs, phones and DVD players, that were pretty good.

Perhaps your problem was with your computer . Usually it will see a camera as external storage and copying is a matter of drag and drop.  Could have been a driver update required. XP sounds pretty ancient.

This was many years ago as I said I updated from Win XP to Win 7. The problem was the software only worked with win 98 and Win XP. I did find a work around, but the camera died soon after. 

2 hours ago, elgenon said:

I just checked on Amazon for you. $18 for screen replacement kit with preinstalled adhesive and tools.

So no worries about the goop.

Just out of curiosity, what's the "all-in" price after they add shipping, prepaid (estimated) duty and all the rest?  Sometimes Amazon works out well from Thailand.  Sometimes, the all-in price is many multiples of the sale price.  My best example was when I tried to order a $9 microwave popcorn bowl, and the all-in price was $65.  Bought it from AliExpress for $9 with free delivery.

On 10/22/2017 at 11:37 AM, impulse said:

Just out of curiosity, what's the "all-in" price after they add shipping, prepaid (estimated) duty and all the rest?  Sometimes Amazon works out well from Thailand.  Sometimes, the all-in price is many multiples of the sale price.  My best example was when I tried to order a $9 microwave popcorn bowl, and the all-in price was $65.  Bought it from AliExpress for $9 with free delivery.

No idea. Why not go on the website and figure it out? You are not committed. I think I did my work. Amazing you want everything given to you. I get nothing out of this. I was trying to be helpful but this is a bit much.

Send me the money plus shipping in America and I will bring it to Bangkok in November. You would have to collect it then as I am tight on weight w AA.

28 minutes ago, elgenon said:

No idea. Why not go on the website and figure it out? You are not committed. I think I did my work. Amazing you want everything given to you. I get nothing out of this. I was trying to be helpful but this is a bit much.

Send me the money plus shipping in America and I will bring it to Bangkok in November. You would have to collect it then as I am tight on weight w AA.

Why would I do that?  I'm not the one who wants it.  That's someone else.

I'm just curious, and passing on a little experience that a lot of people don't realize when they claim that something's available on Amazon.  That $18 product you're holding out may not be anywhere close to $18 all in.

My new(ish) phone developed a white spot on the screen which is the first sign of the battery failing and bulging. I took it to the Samsung repair centre in Pattaya and they changed the battery and also the USB port, both under warranty.

On 10/27/2017 at 10:57 AM, impulse said:

Why would I do that?  I'm not the one who wants it.  That's someone else.

I'm just curious, and passing on a little experience that a lot of people don't realize when they claim that something's available on Amazon.  That $18 product you're holding out may not be anywhere close to $18 all in.

What I am saying is that I will bring it for anyone who wants to pick it up in Bangkok. So it will be $18 plus domestic shipping. Sorry, didn't know if you wanted one or not. You seemed interested.

Archived