Cha-am beach still littered with cigarette butts after smoking ban is imposed

webfact

Cha-am beach still littered with cigarette butts after smoking ban is imposed

By Thai PBS

18100011.jpg

Cigarette butts are still littering the beach at Cha-am but lesser than previously, officials of the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources said.

The survey of Cha-am beach was conducted during October 16-17 after a pilot project of smoking ban was first introduced here before the planned inposition of smoking ban on 20 beaches next month.

From the two-day inspection of the Cha-am beach in Phetburi province, cigarette butts could still be found on the beach, but dropped by 0.62 butt in a square metre of space.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cha-beach-still-littered-cigarette-butts-smoking-ban-imposed/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-18

I suspect people have been smoking on the beaches of Thailand for well over 60 years.....or more.?

The dog ends are not going to disappear overnight because they have banned smoking.

Until they get proper beach sand cleaning machines there is going be to all manner of rubbish imbedded in the sand...look at Pukhet - they found a "Torpedo" that was "a hundred years old".....is there an imogi for tongue in cheek ?

Cha am beaches are littered with far more environmentally dangerous pollutants worse than cigarette butts! I have been there several times & each time I am picking up plastic!! If you go, I suggest you take a rake, shovel & large garbage bags. Do your bit to clean up & set an example for these half wits!

Do Thais not understand that plastic does not decompose? <deleted> are they teaching in schools, on TV, at the temples??

Worst fricken polluters I have ever come across!

Every Wednesday they close the seating areas to clean up the beach.

It seems to have gotten very bad in the last few days.

No, they don't clean it. And you could count the number of foreigners on the beach recently on one hand.

When they do come they usually sit on the rental seats and the renters are usually pretty good about giving you a container to put your garbage and butts in.

But on Mondays after the weekend "mat" parties there is bottles, plastic, food containers etc.

If they are going to actually have police on the beach just start fining people who leave their trash and walk away.

There is no need to get all heavy handed on what you can do. But there needs to be a sense of responsibility instilled. Come, enjoy and then clean up your mess.

Am I the only one who considers reports like

From the two-day inspection of the Cha-am beach in Phetburi province, cigarette butts could still be found on the beach, but dropped by 0.62 butt in a square metre of space.
unquote

not only hilariously funny but utterly ridiculous under the consideration, that this can be read worldwide and that, among the least of Thailand's problems, cigarette buds might be ranking?  

This, matched with the sunbathing tourist between piles of garbage on Jomtien, is both considered Thailand and Hua Hin featured tons of dead fish stenching during the day at the "pristine" beaches. Just saying ......... 

1 hour ago, Gunnar Horpestad said:

This is so pathetic as it can be.
Thailand, you are making a foul out of yourself.
The world is laughing big time 

It's gonna become that way more & more when all this nonsensical banning this & that bs gets out to the international media. 

Yeah, but. . . 

I am not a smoker but I sympathise with anyone who is and fancies a day out on the beach with the wife/husband and kids. Nicotine is as addictive of heroin and to expect cigarette addicts to sweat it out for hours desperate for a drag is as sadistic as it is unnecessary.

A more sensible solution would be to allow smoking, but insist on smokers taking their dog-ends home with them. All they would need to do was arm themselves with a small tin half full of sand in which to extinguish and temporarily store the ecologically unfriendly butts.

This crazy cigarette ban follows other equally ludicrous clamp-downs on a whole range of amenities - everything from deckchairs and umbrellas to food and drink - at some of the most popular beaches Thailand has to offer.

Now they are talking about adding insult to injury and outlawing alcohol as well. No wonder tourists are voting with their feet and booking holidays elsewhere. Who can blame them?

On 10/18/2017 at 4:36 PM, RichardColeman said:

To be honest, I'd rather step on a soggy fag end than a broken bottle, but you can still bring glass bottles on the beaches !

There's no law against bringing cigarettes to the beach but leaving broken bottles on the beach is an offence.

Archived