Pizza Plus Doi Saket

JimGant

When Sine and Eve first opened the place, they had very tasty and tangy sauce. Somewhere along the way the recipe changed and lost a lot of the zing we had come to love. 

Still, the pizzas are not bad, but a rediscovery of the original formula would be a welcome change. 

Been there a few times but gave up on this place when they imposed a cover charge of 250 baht per person including children(!) on a Saturday night because there was live music (a string trio). Daylight (Night time) robbery.

Oh and the food (including the pizza), was average but no more than that and quite expensive.

Regards,

Joe

11 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Been there a few times but gave up on this place when they imposed a cover charge of 250 baht per person including children(!) on a Saturday night because there was live music (a string trio). Daylight (Night time) robbery.

Oh and the food (including the pizza), was average but no more than that and quite expensive.

Regards,

Joe

Musicians don't play for free. At least not the smart ones.

How much do the charge for a pizza pie?

Edited by Ruffian Dick

I was going to get a takeaway pizza but when asked if I wanted it cut into 6 or 12, I had to think about it.

Just make it 6 I says, Ive had a few beers and there is no way I can eat 12!

Alright I'll grab my coat....

It is not just a 'pizza place'.  Sine and Eve like to experiment and come up with some unique fusion dishes.  A variety you won't find anywhere else. Some great, some not so much.  Its all a matter of taste. But, it is interesting sampling these dishes and having some fun with Sine and Eve.   As others have mentioned; a great couple and I really don't care if they may charge a little more (if they do, I really haven't compared).

What do you think of Sole e Luna (also in Doi Saket)?

Some really great food by Angelo and his bride. My only complaint, in the 3 or 4 times I've been there, is their service is quite slow, even when not crowded.

What do you think of Sole e Luna (also in Doi Saket)?

Some really great food by Angelo and his bride. My only complaint, in the 3 or 4 times I've been there, is their service is quite slow, even when not crowded.

Angelo's pizza is more online with what I'd expect Italian pizza to be.

Another one that I like out in that general vicinity is a place called Premier Pizza on RT 118. Just in terms of pizza, Premier might be the best of the Doi Saket contenders.
https://www.google.co.th/maps/search/premier+pizza/@18.8451003,99.0770921,13z

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Musicians don't play for free. At least not the smart ones.
How much do the charge for a pizza pie?

Their pizza prices depend on the toppings. There smallest size is what they call a "medium" and that's a bit too big for me to finish alone but a lot of people wolf them down solo. The mediums start at 179 baht but most of are 189.

Just in terms of pizza, Premier might be the best of the Doi Saket contenders.

Sure sounds like we have a larger choice of pizza places than I had known about. Giotto's is another good choice at Mee Chok, especially if you like to combine a pizza with shopping at Rimping. But, as long as I can get a good thin crust (no Chicago style pan pizza for me) and anchovies, I'm happy. Then there's Dukes.... Oh well, I'm sure there are many pizza threads on this forum, if I bothered to look.

Just in terms of pizza, Premier might be the best of the Doi Saket contenders.
Sure sounds like we have a larger choice of pizza places than I had known about. Giotto's is another good choice at Mee Chok, especially if you like to combine a pizza with shopping at Rimping. But, as long as I can get a good thin crust (no Chicago style pan pizza for me) and anchovies, I'm happy. Then there's Dukes.... Oh well, I'm sure there are many pizza threads on this forum, if I bothered to look.

Not sure if your interest is in Doi Saket or if that just happens to be where Pizza Plus is, but in Doi Saket there is also Locanda. We don't usually get pizza there but their other Italian fare is good. It's run by a Swiss-Italian and his Thai wife. Lovely people but I can't honestly recall what their pizza tasted like, only know that it's a safe bet of getting a good Italian meal there.

I'll leave the topic of Dukes pizza alone because what you think of that depends a lot upon what you think of American pizza in general and as such the discussion often gets nationalistic. But if that's your thing, Dukes has the closest approxination of it in Chiang Mai.

Yeah, Locanda is great, and Roberto can keep you in stitches with his stories. And, I too have not sampled their pizza, as the rest of the menu is just too intriquing. Also, Arbusto's has good service and good Italian food -- but I haven't sampled their pizza either, as we're usually in the mood for a larger variety meal when we go there. Guess I better put on my pizza-only filter to sort things out.......

... what you think of American pizza in general and as such the discussion often gets nationalistic.

Interesting that you can put nationalistic stamps on pizza. You say Angelo has the original, what you call, "Italian pizza." Not sure where he is from, but is that the Sicilian pizza or the Neopolitan variety....or a whole host of other varieties from Italy? But American pizza....? With a zillion Italian immigrants to America, I guess we have every kind of "Italian" pizza imaginable. So, you can't stamp a certain kind of pizza as American (well, maybe American-Hawaiian, if you put pineapple on it). If you're thinking of the pan pizza crap labelled "Chicago," ok, I'll agree that's garbage. But I'd label that "Chicago-Italian" pizza.

Anyway, with all this discussion, I'm getting damn hungry for some flaky, thin dough, with tomato sauce and tons of cheese -- and pepperoni, sausage, onions, green peppers, black olives, and anchovies. Not sure what nationality that would be, and not sure you could plant a flag with it.

I'll have to ask Roberto next time if he labels his pizzas, "Swiss-Italian," or just "Italian."

Yeah, Locanda is great, and Roberto can keep you in stitches with his stories. And, I too have not sampled their pizza, as the rest of the menu is just too intriquing. Also, Arbusto's has good service and good Italian food -- but I haven't sampled their pizza either, as we're usually in the mood for a larger variety meal when we go there. Guess I better put on my pizza-only filter to sort things out.......

... what you think of American pizza in general and as such the discussion often gets nationalistic.
Interesting that you can put nationalistic stamps on pizza. You say Angelo has the original, what you call, "Italian pizza." Not sure where he is from, but is that the Sicilian pizza or the Neopolitan variety....or a whole host of other varieties from Italy? But American pizza....? With a zillion Italian immigrants to America, I guess we have every kind of "Italian" pizza imaginable. So, you can't stamp a certain kind of pizza as American (well, maybe American-Hawaiian, if you put pineapple on it). If you're thinking of the pan pizza crap labelled "Chicago," ok, I'll agree that's garbage. But I'd label that "Chicago-Italian" pizza.

Anyway, with all this discussion, I'm getting damn hungry for some flaky, thin dough, with tomato sauce and tons of cheese -- and pepperoni, sausage, onions, green peppers, black olives, and anchovies. Not sure what nationality that would be, and not sure you could plant a flag with it.

I'll have to ask Roberto next time if he labels his pizzas, "Swiss-Italian," or just "Italian."

That's true that there are a lot if regional variations if pizza within countries. I think of Dukes pizza as being similar style to what old school Italian immigrants make in the New York & New Haven areas. Its generally heavier and with more toppings than what is usually sold in Italian restaurants in this part of the world.

I think that Angelo is from Bologna, but never having been there I'm only assuming that his cooking style is Bolognese. At Pizza Plus, it's not bad pizza but frankly it reminds me a bit of frozen pizza from a supermarket that you take home and heat up in your own oven at home.

5 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

That's true that there are a lot if regional variations if pizza within countries

A local restaurant on Auckland's North Shore used to do Tandoori chicken pizza and Greek pizza and both were excellent.........so much so that I make my own Tandoori pizzas now!

Before howls of "disgust" fill the air; IMO the pizza crust is no more than the carbohydrate that many meals have to accompany them (potatoes, rice etc) so I experiment with all sorts of pizza toppings!

A local restaurant on Auckland's North Shore used to do Tandoori chicken pizza and Greek pizza and both were excellent.........so much so that I make my own Tandoori pizzas now!

Before howls of "disgust" fill the air; IMO the pizza crust is no more than the carbohydrate that many meals have to accompany them (potatoes, rice etc) so I experiment with all sorts of pizza toppings!

Unlikely combinations sometimes work. There's a place on Nimman that serves a really good Thai Green Curry pizza.

2 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

At Pizza Plus, it's not bad pizza but frankly it reminds me a bit of frozen pizza from a supermarket

Are you trying to be nice to Pizza Plus or to the supermarket then? |confused|