Triumph billboard in Pattaya

Briggsy

Yes.  Triumphs are to be sold in Pattaya at Watchara Marine.  Even took a picture there around one month ago.  

According to my understanding.  There were two showrooms and shop areas at Watchara Marine.  The first, which was closest to Sukamvit Road handled only small Yamaha scooters and motorcycles.  For example, Yamaha Tri Cities, 155 c.c. Aeroxes and Nmaxes, and 321 c.c. R3's.  The 2nd was and is the much larger showroom and shop area for the larger bikes and other products such as all terrain vehicles and Yamaha outboard motors.  This showroom displayed Triumph motorcycles.  On sale here are the much larger Yamaha motorcycles all the way up to the 200 horsepower R-1's.  This showroom also sells a complete line of KTM motorcycles along with several oddballs from other manufacturers.  

About 1 month ago I noticed that Watchara Marine had completely demolished the small showroom--shop facility.  And that it was now displaying the smaller motorbikes in the large showroom-shop facility.  I took a picture, and then I inquired.  

Here's the deal as I understand it.  Triumph for some time now has been resorting its entire dealership system here in Thailand.  This is why for example I could not buy Triumphs new Street twin bonneville at Watchara Marine.  My understanding is Triumph will not offer a dealership to a Motorcycle retailer unless this retailer sells Triumph exclusively.  So, sometime in November my source at Watchara Marine told me, it is likely that Watchara Marine will finally be able to sell the new line of Triumph motorcycles.  The demolished area that had been the old small shop showroom facility will be a new Triumph dealership while the bikes from other manufacturers will be handled through the larger facility that sells KTM and Yamaha motorbikes.  

My informant at Watchara Marine then showed me his retail price list for the new Triumph line.  I can get the excellent Triumph Street twin Bonneville for 390,000 baht.  I've been thinking of either selling my Yamaha SR400 or trading it in for this Bonneville which has garnered excellent reviews everywhere.  And I might still do it.  The fly in the ointment is my Yamaha Nmax 155 is such a fantastic bike for the Pattaya area that I think I won't be driving even a stellar bike such as the new Triumph Street twin much.  

A slight digression, can anyone tell me how reliable old Bonnies are? I will be picking up a free  RE 500 bullet from a mate of mine in the UK and putting it back together and I need a second bike.

The plan was to buy another RE, but worry about vibration and the Bonny is a much better bike, for not a lot more money.

I rode one for about 10 days back in early 80's, with no licence and almost zero biking experience, such an easy and nice bike to ride.

Models/years to avoid, if any.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-BONNEVILLE-T100-2003-12-MONTHS-MOT-READY-TO-RIDE/122770081719?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D43630%26meid%3Da0b14174bf6f4e73aeab1df46a73c658%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D112618693995&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Yes, I know it is a cat D but could live with that.

Edited by AllanB

You cannot compare stock early Hinkley carbed 795-865cc twins with a well sorted Meriden 650-750 twin. Chalk and cheese.

A lot of my mates ride Triumphs (Meriden and Hinkley) in England. Not one of them owns a Hinkley twin. It's either Hinkley triples (fast) or Meriden twins (classic).

"Gutless". "Girl's bike". "Too heavy". "No soul, no character" are just a few comments that spring to mind. And in fact some of the girlfriends/wives who ride Triumphs do own a Hinkley twin....

However, someone good with the spanners, or a wallet full of cash, can do remarkable things with the 865 bikes ie getting the weight way down and the bhp and torque way up, engines are pretty bullet proof.

6 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

You cannot compare stock early Hinkley carbed 795-865cc twins with a well sorted Meriden 650-750 twin. Chalk and cheese.

A lot of my mates ride Triumphs (Meriden and Hinkley) in England. Not one of them owns a Hinkley twin. It's either Hinkley triples (fast) or Meriden twins (classic).

"Gutless". "Girl's bike". "Too heavy". "No soul, no character" are just a few comments that spring to mind. And in fact some of the girlfriends/wives who ride Triumphs do own a Hinkley twin....

However, someone good with the spanners, or a wallet full of cash, can do remarkable things with the 865 bikes ie getting the weight way down and the bhp and torque way up, engines are pretty bullet proof.

Come on Guz, you should know me by now......... girls are way too fast for me.

..and after following Steph Jeavons,  "girl biker* is not exactly an insult any more for us.

I like words like "bullet proof", bhp and torque?........just bought a CRF250, surly 800cc could keep up.

....but I get your point.

Edited by AllanB