The cruel UK rule which forced a mum to return to Thailand without her daughter

webfact

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

The laws here for a Farang are 10 times worse than the UK, get a job man earn the required income then she can join you, its the law many of us had to obey. I get the feeling of late as there have been a few of these cases that many just think it applies to Thai people or Thai people have a right to go to the UK. Not so even Americans have to obey this law.

All he has to do is get that income not hard if he works and then she can go and even buy land and a house which you cannot here can you.

Stop bloody moaning and get on with it for gods sake.

Well I lived here a long time and I don't think it is 10 times worst. I own a house and land here. It is not in my name but I feel better protected here than I would back home. If I got divorced here I wouldn't have to move out. But I would have to come up with some agreement or money to stay as I would have to give some of that to my new x-wife.

But Hey! Is it really better in the UK when you can own a house or flat in your name? I have a British Fiend who right now is going through a divorce. He owns his own Flat in London. But right now he is forced to sell it as he can't afford to keep it in on his own anymore as he has to give his x-wife half of this value. That is 10 times better???

I don't know why you keep saying for him to get a job. He had a Job which paid 18,000 GBP a year. But it is just that this was not enough to satisfy the government money requirement. So now that his wife is going to be deported, he has to quit his job to look after his young daughter. Putting both of them on the Welfare Role. That is 10 times better???

The difference between this woman being his wife, and just any person off the street, is that the husband has to agree on paper to support her for up to 5 years, and at which time she would have her own citizenship. If he fails to do so, or the marriage falls apart, then she could be deported. Seems fare enough to me. But from what I read this couple wasn't given any chance at all to prove that.  

Yes! The American Law on this is the same. I have an American Friend who had a hell of a time being able to even bring his African Wife over for a visit to his parent's place. Refused her at least 4 times. They to had a child which had an American Passport as well. So the child could go anytime, but not the mother. So Same Same!

But does 2 wrongs make it right?

As far as I am concerned a Citizen of that country, or any country, should be allowed to bring his wife and live with him there. That should be any citizens rights and equal to being able to get a UK Passport. The moment she ceases to be his wife, then her privileges to live there should stop also, unless she can be self supporting and lived there for at least 5 years in marriage.

Does that sound a lot like Thailand. In a way it does. But in Thailand you can come here without going through a difficult Visa Process and stay here for 30 days on a visa exempt. You can even make a couple of short hops to a nearby country and come back again for another 30 days. You can get a Retirement Visa if you meet the age and money requirement, or a Thai Elite Visa if you have the funds.  But she can't do any of that to visit the UK, or America, without first obtaining a difficult Visa she needs to have and even to just get in first.  

Which country did you say again that was 10 times worst?

5 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Well I lived here a long time and I don't think it is 10 times worst. I own a house and land here. It is not in my name but I feel better protected here than I would back home. If I got divorced here I wouldn't have to move out. But I would have to come up with some agreement or money to stay as I would have to give some of that to my new x-wife.

But Hey! Is it really better in the UK when you can own a house or flat in your name? I have a British Fiend who right now is going through a divorce. He owns his own Flat in London. But right now he is forced to sell it as he can't afford to keep it in on his own anymore as he has to give his x-wife half of this value. That is 10 times better???

I don't know why you keep saying for him to get a job. He had a Job which paid 18,000 GBP a year. But it is just that this was not enough to satisfy the government money requirement. So now that his wife is going to be deported, he has to quit his job to look after his young daughter. Putting both of them on the Welfare Role. That is 10 times better???

The difference between this woman being his wife, and just any person off the street, is that the husband has to agree on paper to support her for up to 5 years, and at which time she would have her own citizenship. If he fails to do so, or the marriage falls apart, then she could be deported. Seems fare enough to me. But from what I read this couple wasn't given any chance at all to prove that.  

Yes! The American Law on this is the same. I have an American Friend who had a hell of a time being able to even bring his African Wife over for a visit to his parent's place. Refused her at least 4 times. They to had a child which had an American Passport as well. So the child could go anytime, but not the mother. So Same Same!

But does 2 wrongs make it right?

As far as I am concerned a Citizen of that country, or any country, should be allowed to bring his wife and live with him there. That should be any citizens rights and equal to being able to get a UK Passport. The moment she ceases to be his wife, then her privileges to live there should stop also, unless she can be self supporting and lived there for at least 5 years in marriage.

Does that sound a lot like Thailand. In a way it does. But in Thailand you can come here without going through a difficult Visa Process and stay here for 30 days on a visa exempt. You can even make a couple of short hops to a nearby country and come back again for another 30 days. You can get a Retirement Visa if you meet the age and money requirement, or a Thai Elite Visa if you have the funds.  But she can't do any of that to visit the UK, or America, without first obtaining a difficult Visa she needs to have and even to just get in first.  

Which country did you say again that was 10 times worst?

Personally I think there should be no "rights" to bring new 'wives' to your home country without the very, very basic financial provision as stated in UK law. I don't even like kids having those rights. Why should taxpayers have to pay for all that?

14 hours ago, Dene16 said:

What a sad person you have shown yourself to be

A person with no qualifications or skills will only, at best, command a wage of £8/9 per hour which will not provide the relevant sum of money required (he worked in a warehouse that paid the minimum wage/even less)

A person over 60 regardless of some skills or qualifications will still only be able to get a job/position that provides this same hourly rate

£18,600 may be a pittance to some people with high opinions of themselves but to others it is not.

I agree he should of thought about the circumstances beforehand and allowed for these

I actually agree with the rules but it is a somewhat sad scenario. 

Funny...  if you don't have the ability to have more than 18600pa then you should have no right to kids IMHO let alone ship them in from another country.

5 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Funny...  if you don't have the ability to have more than 18600pa then you should have no right to kids IMHO let alone ship them in from another country.

It's not the kid prevented from living in the UK, it's the mother.

My kid has a British passport and a British birth certificate (along with his Thai ones).

Edited by MaeJoMTB

1 hour ago, Watchful said:

This is the type of policy any smart politician would raise. Think about it, you have the following:

1. More money for those in the UK

2. Less pressure on the GBP as you stem the flow outside the UK

3. No resistance from voters as who is going to stand up for Expats?

The pressure on the GBP from Brexit could make a change like this happen sooner rather than later.

The wise would plan accordingly.

Smart???

I have a better idea! Stop getting involved in Costly Wars, where spending countless amount of money on war machines, and you gain nothing financially from fighting these wars. 

1. More money for those in the UK.

2. Less pressure on the GBP as you stop the cash flow from outside of the country buying billions in American War Machines. 

3. No resistance from voters, as who is going to vote to go to war in some country they never even heard of before and for no good reason.

Do you really think that all Brits are this greedy to take away a pension from somebody who paid into it of his life, but chooses to Retire in a different country?

As far as I am concerned, he paid into this pension plan, along with the company that hired him to work for them. That is his benefit that he already paid for and earned. I don't care if he decided to live on the Moon he is entitled to get this money that he put into it at least.   

On 20/10/2017 at 10:03 AM, golden farang said:

Yes, so why they not have same rules elsewhere for thai wifes or husbands then? Have 400000baht in bank account before getting resident permit?

There is... if he has £62,500 in the bank he wouldn't need to show any income 

There is also the combination method where everything you have in the bank over a certain amount (I think it's £16,000 but can't be sure) lowers the amount of income you have to earn.

21 hours ago, Medicine Man said:

UK nationals are getting treated like 2nd class citizens in England. If he was a EU immigrant living in the UK he could bring his whole family over without any financial limits. Being a UK citizen I can't bring my Thai wife to live unless I earn enough, the whole thing stinks and people wonder why we voted for Brexit

It's a quirk of EU Law that guarantees the rights of EU spouses to live in the EU but all countries have a local law that trumps it.

So if you were a German guy married to a non-EU citizen you can live anywhere in the EU except for Germany... French (anywhere except France) Spanish (anywhere except Spain) etc... All same same 

54 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Yes! I am really interested in seeing how you would handle this so much better.

what i would do is not important but of course he should of made the necessary requirements 

As much as i sympathise with him 

1 He knew the rules

2 He could of applied for other jobs rather then continue to stay in the same job 

3 he could of got a second part time job

Although each scenario should maybe be judged on its own merits some line must be drawn so that people cannot take advantage of the welfare system ( which he is not i should add)

People have a habit of ignoring the consequences until it is too late to put them right 

Sticking your head in the sand and expecting everything to be fixed when you pull it out is a fools option

You are stating he had no option which is simply ridiculous. He may not have good options but options he did/does have

Bottom line is, he chose to do nothing to meet the criteria and now feels aggrieved 

16 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Personally I think there should be no "rights" to bring new 'wives' to your home country without the very, very basic financial provision as stated in UK law. I don't even like kids having those rights. Why should taxpayers have to pay for all that?

How much was this guy and his wife receiving from the government before they decided to kick her out. You don't know do you? But it is not uncommon for people to speak up like they know everything, when they don't.  

But now that you bring up Tax Payers, lets go deeper. Why should I as a Tax Payer pay for schools when I don't have any kids? Or the Medicare System, when I haven't been sick and don't use it. Or an army when I am totally against wars. Or roads, when I walk and don't own a car? Or full taxes, when I only live in the country half the time? Or VAT Tax with money I already paid tax on?

If there is one big change I have notice by getting Older, it is how selfish people have become starting at the turn of the century. Many people much older than you have not only paid there taxes but have died keeping the UK a Democracy, Strong, and Free. So don't be selfish as you owe them, and they were not selfish in giving you a nice place to live and to raise a family.  

As a UK Citizen you should have compassion for your fellow country men, and help out when you can. Isn't what that was all about?

That you also don't let some young politician take those rights away on them, as you are next. Maybe by promising you bigger piece of the pie.

Any extra money a government raises never goes back to the people. I am surprised you don't know this already.   

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

There is no pressure on the GBP from Brexit, other countries have not suffered from a 20% loss.

Even the USA has  complained that Thailand is manipulating it's currency (to the tune of 10% against USD).

In the Philippines, I get the same exchange rate now, as I did before Brexit. (70 peso to the pound)

You'll have to let me know how you get that as XE is currently showing 67.95 to the GBP so I'd expect somewhere around 65-65.5, last time I changed any (June, though granted this was in a Department store in Davao) I got a tad over 61.

But my SGD is still getting more than it was pre-Brexit :)

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

Are you O.K. With citizens of a E.U. Country, having the right to bring their none E.U wife into the U.K.  without complying with the many rules and regulations, that a citizen of the U.K. is required to go through.

Or do you think like I, that entry requirements for the spouse of a U.K citizens, should be much easier, than those of a spouse of a non British citizen.

Edited by nontabury

53 minutes ago, LostinSEA said:

It's a quirk of EU Law that guarantees the rights of EU spouses to live in the EU but all countries have a local law that trumps it.

So if you were a German guy married to a non-EU citizen you can live anywhere in the EU except for Germany... French (anywhere except France) Spanish (anywhere except Spain) etc... All same same 

You are wrong as regards France.

8 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Are you O.K. With citizens of a E.U. Country, having the right to bring their none E.U wife into the U.K.  without complying with the many rules and regulations, that a citizen of the U.K. is required to go through.

Or do you think like I, that entry requirements for the spouse of a U.K citizens, should be much easier, than those of a spouse of a non British citizen.

I believe that spouses of British citizens, born there, should have that right but all others have to go through a heavy process and financial security should be part of that EU or not.

19 minutes ago, nontabury said:

You are wrong as regards France.

Apologies, I do know it's the same in Germany as my mate is married to a Filipina and facing the same problem, seem to recall it's also the case in Spain so ass-u-me-d it would be the same in France.

11 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

While in Britain what type of accommodation did this man provide for himself and his family?

£62500 savings required. That`s only 2700000 baht at today`s exchange rates. So does this man have any savings at all? The UK government are concerned that this family are benefit claimants waiting to happen. The same applies to westerners living in Thailand, married or not, cannot meet the financial requirements, then sorry goodbye. Couldn`t continue in Thailand and now struggling in Britain. It`s the child I feel pity for, having a father like that.

I just love your use of the word "ONLY".

It tells me an awful lot about you.

On 10/20/2017 at 9:28 AM, HauptmannUK said:

Whilst in this case the husband is guilty of poor planning I think TVF members from the UK need to be aware that there is growing hostility in the UK toward returning expats. Probably partly fuelled by fears that, post Brexit, there could be sizeable numbers of older expats returning to the UK from Europe.

I am a member of the Conservative Party and at a recent constituency meeting that I attended we had a government minister as a guest speaker. The topic was immigration and Brexit. There were a lot of comments about returning expats and some discussion about stopping pensions to expats after one year overseas. We were told that NZ and Aus do something similar and its being looked at by DWP.

Certainly there are big shifts in public opinion going on right now.

7 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Who was this alleged government minister discussing about stopping pensions to expats after one year overseas?

Yes, I would rather like to know that. I wonder whether he was a senior minister, actually talking about his own responsibility, or whether he was someone rather more junior, throwing things to the crowd which he thought would please them. Then they wonder why people regard them as the "nasty party"!

I wonder if "Hauptman UK" will tell us? I suspect not.

Incidentally, I have looked at the relevant Australian Government Website. It seems that you do get the basic pension, what you don't get are the various supplements paid.

One never knows, perhaps this is a form of "troll" post?

Edited by JAG

45 minutes ago, the guest said:

Rules are rules, no exceptions I'm afraid !

Rules are meant for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

Written by Paul Brickhill for Douglas Bader in the book Reach for the Sky.

It is also used by chair warmers who, if they "observe" the rules scrupulously, can never be in the wrong.

Bur rules were written by people and can be changed if the will is there (and in some cases like this rule they ought to be).

ANY British citizen who has been married for at least 5 years and has a child or children should be allowed to bring his immediate family to the UK without let or hindrance by the government.

3 hours ago, Dene16 said:

what i would do is not important but of course he should of made the necessary requirements 

As much as i sympathise with him 

1 He knew the rules

2 He could of applied for other jobs rather then continue to stay in the same job 

3 he could of got a second part time job

Although each scenario should maybe be judged on its own merits some line must be drawn so that people cannot take advantage of the welfare system ( which he is not i should add)

People have a habit of ignoring the consequences until it is too late to put them right 

Sticking your head in the sand and expecting everything to be fixed when you pull it out is a fools option

You are stating he had no option which is simply ridiculous. He may not have good options but options he did/does have

Bottom line is, he chose to do nothing to meet the criteria and now feels aggrieved 

1 He didn't know the rules, he was married in 2009, 'the  rules' came in 2012 (unless he has psychic powers).

2 How many jobs do you expect a 62 year old man to be able to do?

3  Not sure there are that many jobs  available for the over 50s in the UK these days.

If I were to return to the UK, with my 6 year old son, I wouldn't try to take my wife. I would be straight down the social  explaining how I had been forced into a single parent family situation by UK immigration and claiming the 20K pounds, that most single parent families are allowed in benefits without working. (housing benefit,  child benefit, working tax credits, et al). AT 62, I don't really need a woman, but free housing and free money, and 'victim status', I'll have that thanks.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

23 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

So how many men in the UK do you know who supports his wife as she doesn't work and stays at home? Personally I hardly know anyone like that.

Also how can you compare Thailand to GB, where here you only need 9,150 GBP to make the marriage requirement to stay here, while in GB you need 62,000 GBP. That is a pretty big difference.

Hi Goldbuggy,

But to be fair, that is the figure quoted of 62,000 GBP is for the right to obtain a UK settlement visa for a spouse from a country outside of the EU or a yearly salary of 18,500 GBP.

The figure you are quoting relating to Thailand is a figure that must be in the bank or monthly equivalent for a one year extension of stay....it is not a visa and carries no rights with it at all.

IT JUST SAYS YOU HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO SURVIVE IN THAILAND BY THEIR ESTIMATES FOR A YEAR! and then it is reviewed annually and the process starts again.

You cannot in fairness compare the two. In Thailand if you fall foul, run into overstay and are picked up by the police or end up getting deported etc you are thrown in IDC at soi suanplu, until you have funds to get you back to the UK.

In the UK if the situation is reversed, they are given the airfare, released on bail in the community when they get a solicitor , on legal aid usually!!, ( unless they are violent or dangerous or prolific offenders ) and it is a total different scenario.

Too many posters here and too many expats outside are expecting ' bespoke visas ' for their circumstances and that is impractical to say the least. Just the same as you cannot have a ' one size fits all ' situation. These rules and regulations are made and done to capture the majority of peoples needs and yes, sure, some special circumstances and rough treatment will slip through the net.

We cannot have it all ways, toughening up on immigration and then everybody being as ' special case when it suits '  How many ' jack the lad ' cases have there been with UK expats walking away from responsibilities for sun, sea, sex and sand in Thailand and buying a bar which fails??

It then all goes ' pear shaped ' and they expect to go back to the UK with a Thai wife and two or three kids in town at the wrong side of fifty plus years old, low job prospects, no savings, and expect the British state to take care of everything!!

6 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

1 He didn't know the rules, he was married in 2009, 'the  rules' came in 2012 (unless he has psychic powers).

2 How many jobs do you expect a 62 year old man to be able to do?

3  Not sure there are than many jobs  available for the over 50s in the UK these days.

If I were to return to the UK, with my 6 year old son, I wouldn't try to take my wife.

1 2009 was 8 years ago? If, and that is a big if, he did not know the rules then he is even more foolish they i originally thought. He must of looked into the latest criteria when he chose to return to the UK. Do you really believe he didn't?

2 He is not 62 (then i would be more understanding) he is 54 not young but still very employable

3  For the jobs he's applying for yes there is but the money is rubbish

I don't see the point of your last comment. He wanted to be with his wife and child as would i and most other people.

Your statement expresses you could not care less about your wife and you would rather come with your child  and live off handouts from the government. Exactly the kind of  people the government is trying to keep out

9 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

I don't see the point of your last comment. He wanted to be with his wife and child as would i and most other people.

Your statement expresses you could not care less about your wife and you would rather come with your child  and live off handouts from the government. Exactly the kind of  people the government is trying to keep out

No, you're right, at 52 pussy was important to me too (I thought he was older).

At 62, I'd rather have another beer and a joint, than shag another skinny 20 year old uni student.

(My drug dealer in the UK was 75, used to grow his own in the greenhouse, home delivery too, used to knock on  my door on a Friday evening 'something for the weekend sir')

Unfortunately, the UK government can't keep me or my son out (want to or not), we are British citizens.

Entitled to all sorts of stuff.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

In my view, the British immigration system has been abused by people who hardly get a mention as everybody is scared and./or too PC to dare say anything.

A great deal of this has been caused by the Indian Muslims, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis gaining citizenship in the UK and then returning to their countries of origin to do arranged marriages to bring over their cousins, aunts, uncles etc. and then claiming from the state, unable to even speak basic English, having 10 kids and living off state benefits. They want all the benefits and none of the sacrifices that make or break a nation.

Furthermore, they do not integrate with the British people, they form enclaves and no-go areas, try to bring their sharia laws and  courts from their "failed states" and demand preferential treatment as Muslims when they get here and the disgusting liberalist policies which have allowed this to flourish.

They have abused the system, AND BEEN ALLOWED TO CONTINUE DOING THIS, by successive governments especially during the Blair years. That pillock and war criminal wanted to create his vision of multiculturalism without any thoughts, consultations, or debate with the British people.

Add to this, the ' brides for hire ' and ' fake weddings ' by East Europeans to bring even more illegals or people who do not qualify for entry and this has greatly added to the problem.

The whole thing has turned into a gigantic mess. The British people have no objections to a Spanish doctor or a French financier, the Polish workman, or even a Filipino nurse residing in the UK, they never have.

It is the Romanian gypsies, the lowlifes from other East European states, such as Albanian mafias and criminals coming in, then jumping bail and returning to their home countries to avoid convictions for crimes, the British border force don't even have right of refusal to convicted murders from the EU entering the UK after they have been released in their home countries!!

It is a reminder of Fidel Castro emptying all his prisons of the scum and dregs of society and sending them to the USA.

In my view, the British immigration system has been abused by people who hardly get a mention as everybody is scared and./or too PC to dare say anything.

A great deal of this has been caused by the Indian Muslims, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis gaining citizenship in the UK and then returning to their countries of origin to do arranged marriages to bring over their cousins, aunts, uncles etc. and then claiming from the state, unable to even speak basic English, having 10 kids and living off state benefits. They want all the benefits and none of the sacrifices that make or break a nation.

Furthermore, they do not integrate with the British people, they form enclaves and no-go areas, try to bring their sharia laws and  courts from their "failed states" and demand preferential treatment as Muslims when they get here and the disgusting liberalist policies which have allowed this to flourish.

They have abused the system, AND BEEN ALLOWED TO CONTINUE DOING THIS, by successive governments especially during the Blair years. That pillock and war criminal wanted to create his vision of multiculturalism without any thoughts, consultations, or debate with the British people.

Add to this, the ' brides for hire ' and ' fake weddings ' by East Europeans to bring even more illegals or people who do not qualify for entry and this has greatly added to the problem.

The whole thing has turned into a gigantic mess. The British people have no objections to a Spanish doctor or a French financier, the Polish workman, or even a Filipino nurse residing in the UK, they never have.

It is the Romanian gypsies, the lowlifes from other East European states, such as Albanian mafias and criminals coming in, then jumping bail and returning to their home countries to avoid convictions for crimes, the British border force don't even have right of refusal to convicted murders from the EU entering the UK after they have been released in their home countries!!

It is a reminder of Fidel Castro emptying all his prisons of the scum and dregs of society and sending them to the USA.

Sounds like you read and believe too much of the Daily Mail!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Sounds like you read and believe too much of the Daily Mail!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Actually not,

I am a frequent traveler back to the UK on both family and business reasons and see this with my own eyes, speak to my children and siblings, who mostly are well or decently educated, and also many of my friends who are in business plus my wide circle of friends as I have mentioned before on TVF

We may be Northerners, but we are not the great ' unwashed ' nor do we wear flat hats, breed whippets or have sex with sheep contrary to the popular views of Southerners.

14 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Unfortunately, the UK government can't keep me or my son out (want to or not), we are British citizens.

As i will be also with my son off to get his UK passport next month

I do sympathise with the guy because he's not a bum as someone has mentioned and has worked full time to his credit

He has spent the last 8 years in Thailand basically on a jolly financed by whatever means 

States he came back to give his child an education ( fair enough) but i don't believe that is the only reason as he would still have some sort of income unless maybe he rented his home to finance his stay?

He is in this position now simply due to very bad planning or lack of which sadly is his own fault

I will also be in a similar position, difference being I am extremely lucky in that i will/can have a decent company pension at 55 years of age