Padang Besar: "No U-Turns" at the Border

I did in/out at PadangBesar on same day last month and also on June without any trouble. I have NON-O Multi on marriage. No funds was asked. Did it at PadangBesar border train station. Took  the morning train 07:20am from Hat Yai, it takes 50minuts for 70THB, Stamped IN and Out in 10 minuts. Train waits about 45 minuts and then returns to Hat Yai. Very friendly officer.  So its possible to take an early afternoon flight back to Bangkok or anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, darrendsd said:

OP can I ask if you have a Multiple Entry ED do you leave every 90 days and don't have to report and do any tests at Immigration?

That's the idea, though I've only done it once now. But nothing else, no. Everybody else gets to have their pics taken in class, extensions, etc...

11 hours ago, Fatman666 said:

I did in/out at PadangBesar on same day last month and also on June without any trouble. I have NON-O Multi on marriage. No funds was asked. Did it at PadangBesar border train station. Took  the morning train 07:20am from Hat Yai, it takes 50minuts for 70THB, Stamped IN and Out in 10 minuts. Train waits about 45 minuts and then returns to Hat Yai. Very friendly officer.  So its possible to take an early afternoon flight back to Bangkok or anywhere.

Train would be the way to do it, then. I walked across (rode bicycle, actually. It'd be a long walk)... 

Train would be the way to do it, then. I walked across (rode bicycle, actually. It'd be a long walk)... 

I got there late at night one time,  so I figured I would just follow the lights to PadangBesar.  It was short walk , but as I found out, I had bypassed all the immigration.  In the morning I had to re-enter Thailand, so I could check out of Thailand.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EcigAmateur said:

They do not have a safe car park ? And you drive Porsche ?

I don't remember an actual parking lot, but the crossing is not in the city center, so I'd trust my vehicle (not Porsche) on the street, what with police station and border guards all nearby...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, notmyself said:

I understood it was only with regard to visa exempt entries 

I remember something like that, and I suppose the $20k might apply to that, but no, was told 'no U-turn' even on my Ed visa, and got my full 90 days, so no misunderstanding. If I do it again I might try the train, though for me border is closer that Had Yai, and don't know if I can board the intl. train here in Khlong Ngae; don't think so... 

2 minutes ago, Hardie said:

I remember something like that, and I suppose the $20k might apply to that, but no, was told 'no U-turn' even on my Ed visa, and got my full 90 days, so no misunderstanding. If I do it again I might try the train, though for me border is closer that Had Yai, and don't know if I can board the intl. train here in Khlong Ngae; don't think so... 

No idea on the train I'm afraid. It's been a couple of months since I really looked into the out-in issue but I believe it reverted to previous methods when the 2 land entries (visa exempt) per year rule was introduced. Even so I am quite sceptical at this news because a friend on a retirement visa has no issue a couple of weeks ago on a same day minibus trip from Samui to PanangBesar and another fella had to do the same thing on a work permit maybe 6 days ago but I don't know him very well. Something to do with having to do a bounce because he was not earning enough? Something like that.

37 minutes ago, Hardie said:

FYI - "ED" Visas are generally frowned-upon by Immigration, so this could have accounted for your experience.  All the other "I had no problem" cases mentioned in this thread were other types of ME Visas - B or Non-O  based on marriage or retirement.  Some months ago I recall a report that Visa-Exempt out/ins were not being allowed on the same day (though that was a 3rd hand report).   It is possible they are applying the No-U-Turn rule to those doing an out/in for a Visa-Exempt as well as ME-ED Visa holders.

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

FYI - "ED" Visas are generally frowned-upon by Immigration, so this could have accounted for your experience.  All the other "I had no problem" cases mentioned in this thread were other types of ME Visas - B or Non-O  based on marriage or retirement.  Some months ago I recall a report that Visa-Exempt out/ins were not being allowed on the same day (though that was a 3rd hand report).   It is possible they are applying the No-U-Turn rule to those doing an out/in for a Visa-Exempt as well as ME-ED Visa holders.

Or maybe professional visa-runners have an 'understanding' with the guys at immigration. All I know is what they told me--in Thai--so definitely NOT the typical Thai-language-school visa scammer (I'm in Buddhist Studies). I would only advise anyone winging it independently NOT to leave belongings in a hotel room on the Thai side, expecting a simple walk-through, word to the wise, etc.... 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fatman666 said:

Not a lot of time to run to the market...well if you walk fast and know exactly what you want.

Perhaps walk through, and then take the train back?  There are only 3 or 4 trains per day that go to <> Hat Yai, which is kind of unfortunate IMO.  Should be 6-8 times a day.  Maybe not a lot of people cross via train I guess.

10 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

They do not have a safe car park ? And you drive Porsche ?

Haven't been there for a while ( retirement extention) , but I parked my "Porsche" on the field behind the police station .

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Not a lot of time to run to the market...well if you walk fast and know exactly what you want.

Perhaps walk through, and then take the train back?  There are only 3 or 4 trains per day that go to <> Hat Yai, which is kind of unfortunate IMO.  Should be 6-8 times a day.  Maybe not a lot of people cross via train I guess.

https://www.train36.com/padang-besar-hat-yai-shuttle-train.html

Train is new and AC, only 2 cars, never seen more than 20 people on the train. So no long waiting at Immi office. On weekends it could be different.

Edited by Fatman666