Bars closed on Oct 26 and...when else?

heybruce

Everyone should know that bars will be closed on Thursday, October 26.  Are there plans to close on any other days?  Will these closures be announced in advance, or will it be mishandled as on the 13th with the police notifying bars in the afternoon that they should not open that evening?

Edit:  I just found this:    https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1007972-public-urged-to-not-drink-during-royal-cremation-period/

As we've seen demonstrated, "urged not to drink" can become mandatory bar closures with no advance notice.  October 25 to 29 could be pretty dull.

Edited by heybruce

I'm starting to get very tired of people beat-ching about what may or may not happen this week. It's obvious that everything will be shut down on thursday, no one knows what will happen on other days. If booze is such a big issue its simple- buy it NOW!

This week is not about expats and tourists being 'inconvenienced'- its about a nation paying tribute to someone who was important in their lives.

Suck it up.

10 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

I'm starting to get very tired of people beat-ching about what may or may not happen this week. It's obvious that everything will be shut down on thursday, no one knows what will happen on other days. If booze is such a big issue its simple- buy it NOW!

This week is not about expats and tourists being 'inconvenienced'- its about a nation paying tribute to someone who was important in their lives.

Suck it up.

Why are you beat-ching about a simple request for information?  You could tell from the title of the post that the topic didn't interest you, unless you are one of those people who look for reasons to do some beat-ching of your own.

10 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Suck it up.

You are starting to get very tired..., poor you  and as for your next line...

I read the post as one of being informed in good time, not at all as you claim. On top of that Thailand has been insisting to the international community that it will be open for business.

11 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Suck it up.

Good on ye...well said.

The amount of talk on here about bars being closed for one day is astonishing....it suggests that foreigners, tourists and those living here, spend every day of their lives in the pub and cannot bear the thoughts of it being closed.

PS....As a recovered alcoholic myself even I could manage a day away from a bar like Christmas Day and Good Friday when all the pubs closed for those two days back home....(Every Year).As you rightly point out.....get the bl - - dy stuff in now if your system cannot stand 24hrs. away from a bar. 

3 hours ago, inThailand said:

When you go, do want a funeral or a party?

A 'wake' followed by a party with a New Orleans jazz band.  Bet the villagers would find that interesting.  lol

And for all those who are worried about a booze moratorium - let your livers dry out for a few days.  It'll do ya good!  Use the 25th through the 29th to start new habits, like exercise and eating right! :thumbsup:

Edited by connda

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Good on ye...well said.

The amount of talk on here about bars being closed for one day is astonishing....it suggests that foreigners, tourists and those living here, spend every day of their lives in the pub and cannot bear the thoughts of it being closed.

PS....As a recovered alcoholic myself even I could manage a day away from a bar like Christmas Day and Good Friday when all the pubs closed for those two days back home....(Every Year).As you rightly point out.....get the bl - - dy stuff in now if your system cannot stand 24hrs. away from a bar. 

Didn't read the post, did you?  The questions is about whether bars will be closed for one day, or as many as five.

As a recovered alcoholic, why are you reading posts about bars?

1 hour ago, connda said:

A 'wake' followed by a party with a New Orleans jazz band.  Bet the villagers would find that interesting.  lol

And for all those who are worried about a booze moratorium - let your livers dry out for a few days.  It'll do ya good!  Use the 25th through the 29th to start new habits, like exercise and eating right! :thumbsup:

Apparently many people are unaware of this, but it's possible to live a healthy lifestyle and still go out for an entertaining evening in the bars.  I spend more time in the gym than in bars, eat a healthy diet, and like to occasionally go out where there are people, music, lights, pretties, etc.  Being healthy makes a man frisky.

13 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Suck it up.

Haven't we had a few threads about this already? I've had discussions about it elsewhere.

In the great tradition of making it up as they go along, more closures than on the 23rd and 26th may or may not happen, and may or may not happen before or after the start of the intended closure.

I asked in a bar last night and they were not aware that a government official was asking for zero alcohol consumption for 5 days. Their reaction at the thought of losing 5 days income was not a happy one.

If wanting to buy, don't wait. The locals are already stocking up. Supplies may have run out by next week.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Jesus, Mary andJoseph, a guy asks a very simple straighforward question and the usual flamers, alcoholics, reformed alcoholics have gotten their knickers in a wedgie.  We all know that the 26th. for all intent and purpose Thailand will come to a halt and rightfully so.  As for the lead up days and the few days after there has been mixed messages and anyone with the definite answer was asked by the original poster for their input.  Simple one would think but oh no.

41 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Apparently many people are unaware of this, but it's possible to live a healthy lifestyle and still go out for an entertaining evening in the bars.  I spend more time in the gym than in bars, eat a healthy diet, and like to occasionally go out where there are people, music, lights, pretties, etc.  Being healthy makes a man frisky.

True. It's never been necessary to imbibe alcohol to have a good time, but apparently some can't enjoy themselves without getting pissed.

5 minutes ago, idman said:

Jesus, Mary andJoseph, a guy asks a very simple straighforward question and the usual flamers, alcoholics, reformed alcoholics have gotten their knickers in a wedgie.  We all know that the 26th. for all intent and purpose Thailand will come to a halt and rightfully so.  As for the lead up days and the few days after there has been mixed messages and anyone with the definite answer was asked by the original poster for their input.  Simple one would think but oh no.

Jai yen, jai yen.

If everyone merely answered the OP without deviation, the forum wouldn't be worth while coming on for most of us.

You may not realise this, but TVF is a way for some of us with nothing better to do on a hot hot hot Thai day to pass the time.

A certain travel forum I used to frequent was an enjoyable site to spend a few hours on while imparting information about LOS, then they stopped anyone having a bit of fun, and the forum is a pathetic waste of time now, where hardly anyone bothers posting.

I'm sure everyone knows that many places including bars will be shut on the 26th and quite rightly too.  However, any other days is up for speculation.  Almost everyone last week were '100%' sure that Friday 13th would be a dry day and so many closed because they 'assumed' that would be the case.  The fact is that there wasn't an alcohol ban just an order to curtail music and loud entertainment.  I quite expect days other than the 26th to be addressed in a similar fashion.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You may not realise this, but TVF is a way for some of us with nothing better to do on a hot hot hot Thai day to pass the time.

A certain travel forum I used to frequent was an enjoyable site to spend a few hours on while imparting information about LOS, then they stopped anyone having a bit of fun, and the forum is a pathetic waste of time now, where hardly anyone bothers posting.

If you believe in any way that the post you have made constitutes either Fun or a  way to "pass the time" you need to take up knitting or something similar.  It is utterly pointless comments like yours above that cause Forums/Topics to become boring and uninteresting. 

I can only assume that this is a troll post in order to get a response to keep you happy in your rocking chair. If so you have succeeded as I have responded.

As to the OP my understanding is that virtually everything (including 7-11's - there are notices on many 7-11 doors today saying so) will close early afternoon on 26 and reopen either at midnight or early/mid day 27. 

There appears to be no expectation among the Bar/Business owners I know of any edict to shut.  Most establishments of all types are closing to allow their staff time off to watch the ceremony either on Live TV or at special venues - 400 yr stadium/Thai Pae Gate etc.

Edited by scottiejohn

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Jai yen, jai yen.

If everyone merely answered the OP without deviation, the forum wouldn't be worth while coming on for most of us.

A few other cultures celebrate and commiserate with a drink containing alcohol. Will people in Thailand who enjoy a daily beer or other such alcoholic drink really refrain in the comfort of their own home during the ban??

3 hours ago, nasanews said:

Alcohol ban in Thailand is on the 26th from 2:30 pm till next day.

A bar owner in Chiang Mai told me she was instructed to close promptly at midnight Wednesday and not re-open until Friday.  I think everyone in Chiang Mai expects this and can live with it.

It's the chance of a repeat of the nonsense on the 13th that I'm curious about.  Will the police "request" that the bars remain closed after the 26th?  I suspect we won't know for certain until the 27th.

10 hours ago, idman said:

You think that’s bad? Don’t get them started on pizzas or fekking burgers!