Lifesaving Phuket surfer speaks out

webfact

Lifesaving Phuket surfer speaks out

Shela Riva

1508727533_1-org.jpg

Rescue workers provide emergency treatment to the Chinese rescued by surfer ‘Rick’. Photo: Courtesy of Freedom Man / Facebook

PHUKET: The 53-year old Australian man who rescued a Chinese man and a ‘rescue official’ from Rawai municipality at Nai Harn Beach last Tuesday (Oct 17) contacted The Phuket News following the incident to give his comments on the incident.

Referring to himself only as “Rick” from the ‘Mojo’ sailboat, the man told The Phuket Newsof the incident, wanting to highlight that he should not have been forced into the position to carry out the rescue.

Rick was forced to come to the rescue last Tuesday to safely bringing back to shore a Chinese tourist in distress and the local official tasked as part of the “emergency beach safety team” who was trying to rescue him.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/lifesaving-phuket-surfer-speaks-out-64407.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-10-23

It's not a joke.... the lifeguards supposedly "working": do they even know how to swim, or is it just another "hire my nephew" sort of position. I see the 4 they hired in Jomtien, and makes my blood boil as they rarely even look at the sea, wear more than a modest Muslim woman, clot together all day looking at their smart phones.

From my observations, most indigenous people of SE Asia can't swim. Probably not a lot of qaulified trainers around.

Find real trainers that can wrap their learning minds around the whole bay watch and babes thing. Maybe some heroes can be developed :-)

When ever I go swimming anywhere in Thailand, I know that I am on my own if I get into trouble,

unless another tourist with rescue skills is around close by. I have never seen any qualified Thai

life guards anywhere that I have been.

Geezer