London introduces charge on most polluting vehicles

webfact

London introduces charge on most polluting vehicles

tag-reuters.jpg

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan poses following an environment and emissions policy launch event outlining plans to place a levy on the most polluting vehicles in London, Britain, April 4, 2017. REUTERS/Toby Melville/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - London introduced a charge on the oldest and most polluting vehicles on Monday to try to improve air quality in the British capital, the city's mayor, Sadiq Khan, said.

Called the T-charge, the 10 pound daily tax applies to diesel and petrol vehicles typically registered before 2006 which do not meet the so-called "Euro 4" 2005 European directive to regulate vehicle emissions.

The new charge will applied during the same 7am to 6pm weekday hours as the existing 11.5-pound congestion tax and could mean some owners paying a combined 21.50 pounds a day to drive in central London.

"As mayor I am determined to take urgent action to help clean up London's lethal air. The shameful scale of the public health crisis London faces, with thousands of premature deaths caused by air pollution, must be addressed," Khan said in a statement.

"Today marks a major milestone in this journey with the introduction of the T-Charge to encourage motorists to ditch polluting, harmful vehicles."

The measures comes after Britain's High Court ruled that UK government measures to combat air pollution were failing to comply with European Union rules on nitrogen dioxide limits.

The new measure is part of an 875 million pound effort by the mayor's office to address air pollution in London, with the introduction of an Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) slated for 2019.

Nearly 9,500 Londoners die prematurely every year as a result of long-term exposure to air pollution, according to a 2015 study by researchers at King's College London.

(Reporting by Elizabeth Piper; Editing by Toby Chopra)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-23

33 minutes ago, webfact said:

"Today marks a major milestone in this journey with the introduction of the T-Charge to encourage motorists to ditch polluting, harmful vehicles."

I am all for cleaner air, but the overwhelming majority of people driving vehicles this age, do so because that is all they can afford. Slapping them with a ten pound fine a day is going to push them further into poverty and leave them with even less money to buy something newer.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

"As mayor I am determined to take urgent action to help clean up London's lethal air. The shameful scale of the public health crisis London faces, with thousands of premature deaths caused by air pollution, must be addressed," Khan said in a statement.

I wonder how he would describe the air quality in Thailand?

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

I am all for cleaner air, but the overwhelming majority of people driving vehicles this age, do so because that is all they can afford. Slapping them with a ten pound fine a day is going to push them further into poverty and leave them with even less money to buy something newer.

I suspect most of the pollution is from trucks and buses 

However, it has to be the correct way forward

small, low powered city electric cars or take public transport 

BUT you're not taking my Land Rovers!!!

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Called the T-charge, the 10 pound daily tax applies to diesel and petrol vehicles typically registered before 2006 which do not meet the so-called "Euro 4" 2005 European directive to regulate vehicle emissions.

So.......you buy a car in 2005, which was more than likely manufactured in 2004. Now you are taxed for running that car because it does not meet standards drawn up possibly a year after you bought it ???

Is that not a little retroactive?

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Not only that, but it's going to keep a lot of people from going to hospital, thereby reducing the workload of medical staff.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Actually, the sight of an 11+ year old car in Central London is about as common as rocking horse poo.

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

So.......you buy a car in 2005, which was more than likely manufactured in 2004. Now you are taxed for running that car because it does not meet standards drawn up possibly a year after you bought it ???

Is that not a little retroactive?

That would make the car 13years old and you have had fair use of it. Time to sell it in outside

London (If you can get someone to by a non classic 13 year old clunker) and buy something

with a lower carbon footprint or better yet use public transit.

Until  someone  can  show  me proof  that  modern  gasoline  engines  have  surpassed OVERALL  50%  efficiency  use  of  consumed   energy  input then I  will  consider  such a  tax  as  a take!

Despite  claims  to   con  consumers the  average  efficiency  rating  for  automobile  engines   has  not  been  practically   increased  for   3  decades  and  in  some   cases   actually  decreased  in the interest  of  " performance" appeal.

Which  would  possibly  indicate  this  tax  is primarily  in the interest  of  sales rather than  pollution  concerns.

The  taxes   applied  to  the  entry  of  every  new  vehicle on the  roads  of  the  world are  lucrative   to  Governments  and  producers  alike!

Gotta  keep  that   money   rolling! 

Suckers!  For   being  sucked !

12 hours ago, Ulic said:

That would make the car 13years old and you have had fair use of it. Time to sell it in outside

London (If you can get someone to by a non classic 13 year old clunker) and buy something

with a lower carbon footprint or better yet use public transit.

I hear what you are saying, but many people just cannot afford to get a new one, and have you seen the price of public transport in London.  :wai: