Public Discouraged From Drinking But Booze Won’t Be Banned

webfact

28 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

It will translate to nothing.

Good idea on the trolling thing and i will add to that scaremongering............... you should refrain from both.

"translate to nothing"?  Do you have trouble with English?

There is no scaremongering.  There is informed discussion drawing upon very recent experience (October 13) about how "discouraged from drinking" will affect businesses this weekend.  And there are also trolls like you that launch off-topic personal attacks on people who post here.

My posts have been on-topic.  Your posts have been directed at posters with little relevance to the topic.  Once again, stop trolling.

Edited by heybruce

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, heybruce said:

"translate to nothing"?  Do you have trouble with English?

There is no scaremongering.  There is informed discussion drawing upon very recent experience (October 13) about how "discouraged from drinking" will affect businesses this weekend.  And there are also trolls like you that launch off-topic personal attacks on people who post here.

My posts have been on-topic.  Your posts have been directed at posters with little relevance to the topic.  One again, stop trolling.

if you say so darling.

28 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Alcohol will never be banned in Thailand. Old saying " Never kill the goose that lays the golden egg" They have just raised the taxes on all alcohol worth 13  billion Baht to them a year. How else can they pay for the subs and tanks if they cut off sales? Unless Unless they do what they did in Holland  Make the Hookers pay tax on money they earn. Its a business right should pay tax. Just an idea

Of course they will never totally ban it!

My "shape of"- comment was directed to the next few days!

I am quiet sure, ther will be a ban, starting tomorrow evening and lasting throughout the weekend.

If it is not official, it will be (more or less) self imposed, because we are still in a competition, of who is the saddest of them all...

20 minutes ago, DM07 said:

I am quiet sure, ther will be a ban, starting tomorrow evening and lasting throughout the weekend.

If it is not official, it will be (more or less) self imposed, because we are still in a competition, of who is the saddest of them all...

Oh well i am not a big drinker I use to be but can live with out it. Also i dont know about you but that Leo or Chang after 3 bottles always gives me a head ache Poor quality i feel

22 minutes ago, DM07 said:

It is my understanding that the period of mourning ends after the cremation and that Friday is back to normal. No more need to wear mourning colors. Likewise alcohol can be served on Friday. Otherwise we are heading into year two. Is there no end in sight?

6 minutes ago, GarryP said:

It is my understanding that the period of mourning ends after the cremation and that Friday is back to normal. No more need to wear mourning colors. Likewise alcohol can be served on Friday. Otherwise we are heading into year two. Is there no end in sight?

Well, the cynic in me suggests that now the PTB have a taste for telling everyone how to feel and what to wear they may be reluctant to leave off......

What is more there are two more very significant "unhappy events" inevitably due to happen relatively soon.  One we must expect, the other, well, we can't be privy as to how it will be handled...

17 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I hope that you are right!

By now, I am willing to pay someone, to wear a Hawaii- shirt!

I always thought, black was a cool color, but ...maaaaan!

My fear is though, that this "I am sadder than you"- competition will go on for a few more days!

No one wants to be the first to take garlands down... 

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:16 PM, webfact said:

BANGKOK — The Department of Health has urged the public to refrain from drinking alcohol this week in honor of the Late King Bhumibol, a spokesman said Monday.

So, the Dept of Health is urging the public to lay off the booze, from 25 to 29 Oct, but not actually banning it, more than suggesting that drinking alcohol will somehow undermine the respectfulness of everyone in the country, that week. Interesting that the big shout was left in the Health Department's court, rather than that of the Ministries of the Interior or Human Security, surely much more relevant to public behaviour, which, supposedly, is what these abstinence guidelines are all about.

Perhaps because alcohol-abuse is accepted by the Ministry of the Interior - responsible for road safety - to be one of the main causes of the country's road death figures being the world's worst, it appears that, on the issue of public order/disorder, the Ministers assume their minions cannot enjoy a bottle of beer-a-day without it, in some way, spoiling things. Pretty twisted thinking, if you ask me.

On 10/23/2017 at 2:34 PM, DM07 said:

This country amazes me all the time- and mostly not in a good way!

Things like these are announced ...or not...and then everybody is MEANT to understand!

This would be LITERALLY the one day, where I could understand an alcohol ban, although I am against bans of all kind, in general!

But of course, if there will be one, it will be announced in the afternoon of the 25th!

I am working in tourism and we got the announcement, that the Grand Palace will be closed for all of October, in the last week of September!

The right hand is not knowing what the left hand is doing!

Thailand is absolutely comical- even in mourning!

Did they offer you a Tuk Tuk trip around the gem cutting factories and tailors shops - "special price because palace is closed"?

Just a thought, since the alcohol abstinence issue has been lobbed into the Health Ministry's court, why haven't they discouraged over-eating, too, given Thailand's not-so-proud record as the second-worst SE Asian country for obesity. Perhaps a five-day or, at least, a one-day fasting from food might have been a better way of showing respect for the much-respected late King who did so much to promote the health of his country.

17 hours ago, JAG said:

Did they offer you a Tuk Tuk trip around the gem cutting factories and tailors shops - "special price because palace is closed"?

I am working IN tourism...I am NOT a tourist!

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If one is a non sanook person, that doesn't visit bars, adores visiting temples, doesn't need clean beaches, LOS will still be a fine place to live.

Sounds like a monk to me. Throw in the usual temple drug orgies, benzes and private jets and I reckon you might be right.

On 10/24/2017 at 3:45 AM, balo said:

It happens to be my birthday on 26th , and they ask me not to drink ? :sad: 

No one has been asked not to drink- it clearly states 'discouraged'.

Why people get their pants in a twist over this baffles me- it's not as if tomorrow is a great surprise.

If one hasn't made contingency plans it serves them right- on the other hand a day without booze isn't going to kill anyone.

Just now, akirasan said:

Well the big cheese of our village announced at 6am this morning that alcohol sales are banned 26/27th.  

What authority does he have to issue such an edict? And on what ground would he be able to take legal action against any that disregard his ban? Sounds like bluster from someone with an over inflated (misguided? )  opinion of his own power. 

I might have said it before on this thread, but IMO the only thing causing concern on here is that the announcement of the restrictions was announced far too late.

Had policy been decided 6 months ago ( they did know 6 months ago that this event would happen ), and published then, everyone would have accepted it and threads like this would never had happened.

Deciding what to do the week, or even the day before is just upsetting lots of people, because it leads to rumours and speculation.

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

What authority does he have to issue such an edict? And on what ground would he be able to take legal action against any that disregard his ban? Sounds like bluster from someone with an over inflated (misguided? )  opinion of his own power. 

Never lived in a village then? The authority is being the headman.

Perhaps anyone not behaving would receive a visit from concerned citizens.

7 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

No one has been asked not to drink- it clearly states 'discouraged'.

Why people get their pants in a twist over this baffles me- it's not as if tomorrow is a great surprise.

If one hasn't made contingency plans it serves them right- on the other hand a day without booze isn't going to kill anyone.

The furore isn't over one day which was long expected, it's because it looked like extending to 5 days. A lot of people in LOS depend on booze to make a living.

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No, Mr Headman . . . that guy, sitting on my porch, last night, quaffing a beer - yes, a full one, all to himself! It wasn't me . . . honest, OK? So, what does that silly smile mean and that rubbing your fingers together? Oh, . . . I get it. You weren't a cop in a former life, by any chance?

55 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Don't know, I'll try and catch up with him later today and see what's going on.  He's a pretty nice guy, gets on well with everyone.  I'd be surprised if this was his idea but you never know.  

45 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I know what a village headman is. I am questioning his his authority to impose a ban on something that the government has not even banned. Now had the government issued an order banning the sale  of alcohol, I would not question a headman enforcing that ban. But introduce bans himself ? On what authority? 

I know that in many villages the headman comes from a large family (I hesitate to use the word "leading" because it is often the most corrupt) and may enlist his relatives or other sycophants to try to enforce his orders.  There are both popular and very unpopular village heads, the latter in their position due to family size, corruption or other connections.  

52 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I know what a village headman is. I am questioning his his authority to impose a ban on something that the government has not even banned. Now had the government issued an order banning the sale  of alcohol, I would not question a headman enforcing that ban. But introduce bans himself ? On what authority? 

I know that in many villages the headman comes from a large family (I hesitate to use the word "leading" because it is often the most corrupt) and may enlist his relatives or other sycophants to try to enforce his orders.  There are both popular and very unpopular village heads, the latter in their position due to family size, corruption or other connections.  

You got it in one. Just had our village 'boss' election and the 'bad' guy won by quite a margin, despite the 'good' guy being the nicest and hardest-working guy in the village.

3 hours ago, inThailand said:

It looks like a normal day.

The left idiot doesn't know what the right idiot is doing.

Alcohol banned already in Sukhumvit area. As expected they will change plan last minute and don’t be surprised if the ban continues over the weekend