Public Discouraged From Drinking But Booze Won’t Be Banned

webfact

5 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

looks like the drinking thing is well under the hammer right now all across the Globe, well in the UK as I have just seen for the first time. Having arrived for an extend stay due to medical probs, I got talking to many old friends and arranged get togethers. I was shocked to finds so many of the old meeting places I.e Quality Pubs now closed down. Some really classic family dining and meeting places are now close, some even already now display 5 0r 6 (and more) new houses, now sitting on the plot of your old favourit pub.

These are real old quality public houses I am talking about, makes you want to shed a tear or two. So where the hell do you now meet up with old friends, you have not seen for years? Please do not say Bloody McDonalds or the local Library.

Sad to see history being annihilated by the booze who far to many think is so evil, its the person not the bottle that does the damage.

hey last time I visited my favourite meeting place, they served coffee and I drank it.

My old local is in a listed building so has stayed the same, almost, and should continue to do so apart from necessary work on wiring plumbing etc etc. The shelving behind the bar still shows damage from a WW11

sea-mine the exploded against the harbour wall outside in '44.

Nice to think it will or should not change because the listing prevents it.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love them "thai'er-than-thai"- farangs on here!

Or anyone for that matter, who thinks, they have the right or obligation to tell others, how to behave and what to do!

Grief takes many forms- some try to forget, some completely get consumed by it!

The fact, that someone is telling me or others, how I have to feel, how I have to behave in times of grief (or not, for that matter!) is just plain ridiculous!

Edited by DM07

29 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Gotta love them "thai'er-than-thai"- farangs on here!

Or anyone for that matter, who thinks, they have the right or obligation to tell others, how to behave and what to do!

Grief takes many forms- some try to forget, some completely get consumed by it!

The fact, that someone is telling me or others, how I have to feel, how I have to behave in times of grief (or not, for that matter!) is just plain ridiculous!

I don't think anyone is telling anyone how to feel. There was no 100% ban on alcohol just a suggestion that it should be toned down for a couple of days. I don't think anyone would be pleased if say a neighbour had a death in the family and next door decided to throw a big noisy everybody happy party next door. 

It's just showing a little bit of respect for others and their feelings.

On 25/10/2017 at 7:39 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

I just walked from Asok to Phrom Phong and most of the restaurants and bars along Sukhumvit were open and serving alcohol.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well, Lower sois bars were not selling, soi 11, 8, 13 etc. seems that the police may also not have known what to do and hence each invented their own rules. Bars in lower sois were closed or not selling alcohol for 3 days just started again today.

Edited by Next stop NK

Well,  I came back through Don Muang from Laos on the 26th at about 7pm and picked up a bottle of Jameson's Irish Whiskey on the way out. Lucky for me. I knew the 7/11s and Tescos would be closed. Very difficult to find food but some branches of Pizza Company were open so  I had a pizza with excellent wine (Robinson's South African stuff, 130,000 kip, very smooth). But the thing I want to point out is this: Does anyone think that if Gen. Prayuth and his ilk, or those who are even higher than him, had wanted a snifter, that it would have been difficult? Would the closure of 7/11s have prevented a well-deserved nightcap? The poor suffer for the pleasures of the rich.

Well,  I came back through Don Muang from Laos on the 26th at about 7pm and picked up a bottle of Jameson's Irish Whiskey on the way out. Lucky for me. I knew the 7/11s and Tescos would be closed. Very difficult to find food but some branches of Pizza Company were open so  I had a pizza with excellent wine (Robinson's South African stuff, 130,000 kip, very smooth). But the thing I want to point out is this: Does anyone think that if Gen. Prayuth and his ilk, or those who are even higher than him, had wanted a snifter, that it would have been difficult? Would the closure of 7/11s have prevented a well-deserved nightcap? The poor suffer for the pleasures of the rich.

I would imagine most "rich" people have well-stocked wine cellars and fridges!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:34 PM, JAG said:

Well you know, I don't think of it as a particularly Thai mindset. I'm married to a Thai, and live in a farming village some 25 km from the town. No one here has  tried to tell me how I should behave, with regard to mourning the King or indeed anything else. Nor have the predominantly middle-class Thais who are my work colleagues. In fact, the only person at work who has ever commented was a fellow Englishman, who said that a very dark blue shirt was inappropriate, and I should wear black! 

Certainly, the "powers that be" are laying down the law to the Thai people, but the indignation showed by some here, and the desire to boss people around, seems a particularly "falang" mindset.

"I'm more Thai than you" meets "I'm sadder than you" perhaps? With a dash of "I've been here longer"....

Perhaps I should add that I've been quite content to dress appropriately and show respect when required. 

Ah, the "little Englander" :crazy:. I hope you gave him an earful and sent him on his way wiser than when he tried to tell you what to do.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:22 AM, wakeupplease said:

looks like the drinking thing is well under the hammer right now all across the Globe, well in the UK as I have just seen for the first time. Having arrived for an extend stay due to medical probs, I got talking to many old friends and arranged get togethers. I was shocked to finds so many of the old meeting places I.e Quality Pubs now closed down. Some really classic family dining and meeting places are now close, some even already now display 5 0r 6 (and more) new houses, now sitting on the plot of your old favourit pub.

These are real old quality public houses I am talking about, makes you want to shed a tear or two. So where the hell do you now meet up with old friends, you have not seen for years? Please do not say Bloody McDonalds or the local Library.

Sad to see history being annihilated by the booze who far to many think is so evil, its the person not the bottle that does the damage.

hey last time I visited my favourite meeting place, they served coffee and I drank it.

I don't think it's anything to do with attitudes to drink, and more to do with worship of the great new god of money in countries everywhere. Nothing shall be allowed to survive if it doesn't make money, including, apparently, old folks.

Old pubs don't make enough money- end of story far as the money men are concerned.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:16 PM, irishken said:

Does anyone know if Hotels were selling alcohol. Just curious and not taking sides on the matter.

I'd also imagine with most of the nightlife been closed last night that the beaches would have been fairly busy early today with bright eyed farang tourists due to the  lack of hangovers and i'd guess other real businesses done well, cinemas, restaurants and that. 

No beaches up in C M of course, and I have no idea of any equivalent place to go to, seeing as it must be the most boring tourist town in Thailand. They don't even have a decent river promenade. Phayao does it far, far better along the lake and they aren't a western tourist town like C M is.

Shameful really. They didn't even clean the place up for the ceremonies, that I saw.

For myself, I just stayed in and read a book.

43 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't think it's anything to do with attitudes to drink, and more to do with worship of the great new god of money in countries everywhere. Nothing shall be allowed to survive if it doesn't make money, including, apparently, old folks.

Old pubs don't make enough money- end of story far as the money men are concerned.

Yep the old pubs are almost finished, not so much the old but pubs in general. Serving food and two for the price of one (food) seems to be the only thing that is keeping them going. Mind you it tastes like water, had a meal the other night, I could cook better and I must be the worst chef in the world. Said to the wife after, next time you want to go for a 241 I will cook for you at home, she agreed, but do not ask for an invitation as I really do mean a bad cook.

Went to the supermarket as you do, booze on sale very cheap 1L top name vodka £16.00, bottle of top name beer 330ml 89p, cider so cheap.

Not long till we say goodbye to the good old fashioned pub at those prices.

Starbucks and the likes of seem to be the meeting place these days so I am told.

3 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Yep the old pubs are almost finished, not so much the old but pubs in general. Serving food and two for the price of one (food) seems to be the only thing that is keeping them going. Mind you it tastes like water, had a meal the other night, I could cook better and I must be the worst chef in the world. Said to the wife after, next time you want to go for a 241 I will cook for you at home, she agreed, but do not ask for an invitation as I really do mean a bad cook.

Went to the supermarket as you do, booze on sale very cheap 1L top name vodka £16.00, bottle of top name beer 330ml 89p, cider so cheap.

Not long till we say goodbye to the good old fashioned pub at those prices.

Starbucks and the likes of seem to be the meeting place these days so I am told.

Never shall I ever buy anything from that palace of capitalism ( starbucks ).

A place like on "Friends" would be nice, but I doubt the place made much profit as they occupied the sofa for much time and spent little ( apparently ) in it.

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Never shall I ever buy anything from that palace of capitalism ( starbucks ).

A place like on "Friends" would be nice, but I doubt the place made much profit as they occupied the sofa for much time and spent little ( apparently ) in it.

I once said the same thing. Overpriced, I said. Profit margins way too high, I said. But, damn, I ended up becoming a regular customer. Unfortunately, I find their coffee better than most of their competitors.