Call 1197 - public urged to report cops setting up illegal checkpoints

webfact

Call 1197 - public urged to report cops setting up illegal checkpoints

22730145_2230373127189808_8142149034376126579_n.jpg

Picture: TNews

The police themselves have urged the public to report rogue officers setting up illegal checkpoints in Bangkok.

The public have been urged to call 1197 or 191 if they see traffic checkpoints fleecing motorists and bike riders.

Anonymity and secrecy is guaranteed, said Tnews in a story about the matter.

Acting commissioner and new capital top cop Charnthep Sesawech ordered an end to checkpoints a few weeks ago as his first major policy statement. He saw them as pointless and detrimental in improving the traffic situation.

The only exceptions were checkpoints set up to look for drink drivers, street racers and environmental pollution such as emissions and noise.

22688435_2230373253856462_5491067640178422396_n.jpg

Most Bangkok residents - indeed those throughout Thailand - would have seen the checkpoints as less a chance to improve the traffic situation and more a chance to improve officers' salaries with roadside bribes.

Cop in charge of traffic Jiraphat Phumijit was given the task of making sure that the checkpoints stopped and he was also to be informed of any that were set up to deal with drink driving and the like.

But he has also been urging cops to get out of their stations and booths and do their job in improving the traffic situation in the following areas:

*Illegal parking

*Obstruction while parking

*Bike riders with no helmets

*Running red lights

*Vehicles running the wrong way down roads.

Tnews said that since the checkpoints had stopped - and there is much anecdotal evidence to say that has happened in the capital to date in line with the chief's wishes - there has been an increase in infractions.

So Jiraphat is stepping up his work to get officers busy in arresting and fining offenders.

But to assist in the eradication of checkpoints a hotline has been assigned for the public to report any suspicious or illegal roadblocks. The public can call 1197 or the regular 191 number anonymously to report the police - to the police.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-25

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like this guy is on the ball and knows what traffic policing is all about, well done to that man.

*Illegal parking

*Obstruction while parking  (Hard one that)

*Running red lights

Can he please add

idiot drivers tail gating

Idiot drivers speeding

Can we come back next month and see how he is getting on

Keep Up The Good Work My Man.

So let me get this straight...The superior officers dictate that traffic stops should be directed solely towards suspicion of drinking or blatant disregard of traffic laws. And those "superiors" ask for the general public to report misuse of their authority? Are you kidding me? How about this..."if" you are found to be abusing your authority outside of the realm of your duty (i.e.  extortion/ bribery), you're gone. CYA. A veiled and pathetic attempt at extortion - even if reported as instructed,  will result in exactly "what" punishment to those officers? Here's a very simple order from superiors..."if" you are observed or reported as attempting to extort money in any way- especially outside of specific standards established by us (your superiors), then you're done. You are out of a job.  Good luck with that mindset to be enforced. Question: Who is more gullible or more specifically, who do they think they're kidding? They meaning the marginally-educated people who "think" that they know what they're doing. Not derogatory- not a snob as far as education I assure you. When common sense seems to be so lacking...OR common sense takes a back seat to corruption, then you see it as it is. Some people don't agree with complacency and I am one of them. You either decide that you want to advance out of 3rd world mentality and adopt "some" democracy and justice, or you will the same as China. Economics, yet with a voice-less society. Same as Russia- no different.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The public have been urged to call 1197 or 191 if they see traffic checkpoints fleecing motorists and bike riders.

If this is the case, that i have to report just about any policeman i have ever

came to contact with, are there any police out there that doesn't ' fleece'

motorists i wonder? and the public is being asked to police the police,

strange county indeed.....

About time that the senior Police started teaching obedience and accountability within their own organisation. If this cannot be achieved then some senior police heads must be dismissed or busted down to the lowest rank.

As for the "illegal checkpoints" will those police and their commanders be punished? :whistling: I doubt it. Just more talk talk from authorities to appease Thai people (and tourists).

TIT and LOS (Land Of Statements - but little action). :sad:

2 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Can he please add

Idiot drivers speeding

Tail gating is the way the locals intecate they want to pass. 

Blocking the passing lane generally results in tail gating.

In most countries they merely flash the lights but Thailand is special. :coffee1:

3 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Sounds like this guy is on the ball and knows what traffic policing is all about, well done to that man.

*Illegal parking

*Obstruction while parking  (Hard one that)

*Running red lights

Can he please add

Idiot drivers speeding

Can we come back next month and see how he is getting on

Keep Up The Good Work My Man.

If he can take out all drivers without driver licence, all cars without insurance ,all truckdrivers without proper licence ......that will take 50 %(or more?) out of the trafic  .

45 minutes ago, Minnehaha said:

In 25 years I have never seen a police check point for illegal noise or pollution and never have I ever seen a police pull over a vehicle for any infraction what so ever.  Is this actually done? 

Saw a checkpoint checking emissions a while ago.....first time in my 16 years here.

"But he has also been urging cops to get out of their stations and booths and do their job in improving the traffic situation in the following areas

*Bike riders with no helmets"

Will never happen. School starts again next week. Every Mattayom student will just zoom past them without a care in the world.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Just turn off the power in the policebooth, i bet they come out very fast.

Also let them write fines for their salary, not enough fines means no salary.

that works in Australia, in that traffic police are to write out so many a month

25 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Tail gating is the way the locals intecate they want to pass. 

Blocking the passing lane generally results in tail gating.

In most countries they merely flash the lights but Thailand is special. :coffee1:

And they are "SPECIAL". 

In pattaya and Jomtien, the police have checkpoints where they pull over any white person on a motorcycle. Then squeeze them for money. I have watched them. Most of the whiteys pulled over have helmets and are driving prudently.

It is obvious to everyone in Thailand that the police have no interest in fixing the incredibly horrible driving conditions caused by Thai people's insane driving practices. Thais drive like little children.

The real problem here is the Police salary it’s peanuts. And as the old saying goes “ Ya pay peanuts ya gets monkeys”. Until salaries support the policeman’s families adequately it will never attract more suitable candidates or commitment from them. 

There is this strange habit in Thailand, I think it is called "vehicle lock." It is when one car follows another car so closely to it that the driver is not looking at the road, but at the car in front of him. If the front car needs to brake, the second car will cause a serious accident.

i think it is different than getting right up on someone's ass, trying to pass, as the second car doesn't appear to be trying to pass or could and doesn't.

Something needs to be done about coaches and bus driving on the right lane and staying there. We have to be careful having to get past them on their left side. Also have you noticed when driving behind a bus, how many have only 1 wheel at the rear on their double wheel.The companies do it to save drag, rubber and fuel.